Poll: Are you out or in the closet?
I am completely in the closet
I am out to one person only.
I am out to a few people.
I am out in my private life, but not at work.
I am out at work but not to my family.
I come out when asked.
I shout it from the roof tops.
[Show Results]

Are you out or in the closet?

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 3.5 Average
20-03-2017, 03:04 AM
RE: Are you out or in the closet?
Am out, 'shouter' out. It's funner that way.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-04-2017, 01:42 PM
I'm not out. Can't come out with my wife, mother, in-laws etc. etc. But, if I were to, I'm sure it would go something like this:

Me: "Hey, good news / bad news. I am confident that Satan will no longer have an influence on my life. I won't let him drag me down to the depths.
He won't get the better of me. I won't give him any credibility from now on. I will not let him have a hold on me *at all*."

Them: "That's fantastic! What's the bad news?"

Me: "I feel the exact same way about God!" Smile

[I have a bad habit of being a smart-ass].

Thanks to Bertrand Russell, I stay up late at night awaiting a total eclipse of a teapot.
[+] 5 users Like Chuck Windar's post
09-04-2017, 05:11 PM
I'm definitely out. I don't think I was ever in the closet to begin with.

I believe what I believe and, fortunately, was able to always express it when the time came.

Yeah, I shout it from the rooftops, too, but that doesn't mean I don't know when to bite my tongue.

However, I feel a moral obligation to always fight against hatred, bigotry, racism, sexism, misogyny, homophobia, and theocratic fascism wherever I see it. That shit cannot stand. If that means throwing atheism in their faces and being a militant little bitch, well, I won't bat an eyelash, make even a single bone, have one tiny qualm, or give not even one itty bitty fuck if it comes to that.

"If my God exists, then the laws in the Bible should apply to everyone. I am certain my God exists, so ..." -- words of a theocratic fascist justifying theocratic fascism.
[+] 3 users Like Shirina's post
10-04-2017, 02:45 PM
I've been "out of the closet" no-longer-Christian since the late-80's, although I don't tend to bring it up unless somebody else does first (to be fair, my current neighborhood has a few Muslim, Hindu and Buddhist folk, and I often feel it appropriate to mention I'm atheist just to let them know they aren't alone in not being Christian).
[+] 2 users Like Grauwyler's post
11-04-2017, 12:41 PM
(10-02-2017 09:07 AM)Unbeliever Wrote:  
(10-02-2017 07:36 AM)Naielis Wrote:  What closet? The anti-religion sentiment is more popular and trendy than ever.

This depends entirely on where you are. There are huge swathes of the world, even in America, where atheism is still very much taboo.

Yes there are pockets of religious fervor in the US, but the general sentiment, especially in the northeast, is either an apathetic or welcoming attitude towards atheists.

"I think part of the appeal of mathematical logic is that the formulas look mysterious - you write backward Es!" - Hilary Putnam
20-04-2017, 08:15 AM
"U.S. surveys in recent years have calculated atheists make up between 3 percent and 10 percent of the population. But the percentage may actually be much higher, because the stigma surrounding disbelief in God likely prevents people from honestly answering pollsters’ questions about their beliefs, according to a new report by University of Kentucky psychologists Will Gervais and Maxine Najle. 'There’s a lot of atheists in the closet,' Gervais said in a recent interview with Vox. Gervais and Najle’s report, to be published in the next issue of the journal Social Psychological and Personality Science, concluded the true number of American atheists may be as high as 26 percent of the population."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/stud...mg00000063
[+] 1 user Likes Thoreauvian's post
20-04-2017, 10:03 AM
(20-04-2017 08:15 AM)Thoreauvian Wrote:  "U.S. surveys in recent years have calculated atheists make up between 3 percent and 10 percent of the population. But the percentage may actually be much higher, because the stigma surrounding disbelief in God likely prevents people from honestly answering pollsters’ questions about their beliefs, according to a new report by University of Kentucky psychologists Will Gervais and Maxine Najle. 'There’s a lot of atheists in the closet,' Gervais said in a recent interview with Vox. Gervais and Najle’s report, to be published in the next issue of the journal Social Psychological and Personality Science, concluded the true number of American atheists may be as high as 26 percent of the population."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/stud...mg00000063
Yeah, none of this surprises me.

I've said in this space before that the only difference between my next oldest brother and myself is that he hasn't been able to bring himself to honestly examine his actual beliefs or lack thereof, and admit to himself what he is in plain terms -- and I have.

Neither of us has seen the inside of a church in decades. Neither of us prays, studies the Bible, or pursues any other trappings of our faith of origin anymore.

At least in private, to each other, we admit that neither of us believes in god, at least not the fundamentalist / evangelical god we grew up with.

Only one of us would answer "atheist" to a survey question, and likely only one of us would unhestiatingly answer "no" to the question, "I believe in god."* I don't call my brother a closeted atheist, so much as a functional atheist who doesn't want to think about it. My guess is that there are a TON of those abroad in the world.

I started where my brother is, not believing in the god I was suckled on, and then expanded that into a lot of religious research and soul-searching, that caused me not to believe in any other religious faith-based gods, and finally, in the generic notion of any sort of deity, and to lose all belief in concepts like "heaven", "hell", and "the supernatural". My brother is deliberately stalled on that path of inquiry, and is closed off to it. The most he will do is let me go on about it, on those rare occasions when we are alone together and have time to talk about the sorts of things that close brothers talk about. If he were to pursue that path he'd unquestionably end up where I am. He probably knows that, which is why he doesn't. And given that he's 70 years old he might as well not bother at this point.

* "I believe in god" is too general of a question to absolutely establish atheism. I suspect that most people answer this regarding the only god they've ever given any serious thought about, which is the one from their religion of origin. A "no" answer reflects being disenchanted with THAT god, but perhaps still craving some sort of god, or some way back to the original one. If these people are anything like my brother and I, they at least initially hold out some wan hope that there's a god somewhere, or some evidence somewhere that would even restore their faith in something like their original god. Unless they go on to ask the critical question, "what god?" and consider the whole concept of how you would distinguish assertions about god from imagination and how you would determine you had found the "True God", they will not be full-fledged, bridge-burning, epistemologically transformed self-aware atheists. But even if you consider such people to be half-baked atheists, there are still a lot more of them around than anyone wants to admit, and the implications are huge.
[+] 1 user Likes mordant's post
20-04-2017, 12:01 PM
(20-04-2017 10:03 AM)mordant Wrote:  I don't call my brother a closeted atheist, so much as a functional atheist who doesn't want to think about it.

My wife is a functional atheist, even though she won't call herself one. She calls herself an agnostic and doesn't think much about it.

Interestingly my ex-wife was an atheist from the time she was a teenager, but I only learned that years after we had been divorced. She never talked about it.
20-04-2017, 12:12 PM
(20-04-2017 12:01 PM)Thoreauvian Wrote:  
(20-04-2017 10:03 AM)mordant Wrote:  I don't call my brother a closeted atheist, so much as a functional atheist who doesn't want to think about it.

My wife is a functional atheist, even though she won't call herself one. She calls herself an agnostic and doesn't think much about it.

Interestingly my ex-wife was an atheist from the time she was a teenager, but I only learned that years after we had been divorced. She never talked about it.
Come to think of it my current wife is also an atheist but won't use the label, and if pressed would probably use agnostic. And she hasn't though about it in part because she never was a believer (closest she came was her mother dragging her to a UU church when she was very young, which hardly counts) and in part because it's just not something she's curious about and she thinks it's so ridiculous that she doesn't think about god and religion for the same reason she doesn't think about garden fairies or leprechauns.

In truth I suspect there are a LOT of people like her too, who resist the very negative stereotype of the label "atheist" but actually are one anyway. Unlike most of us here, who are keen to discuss and debate these matters, there are probably a veritable trove of atheists who DON'T care to.
[+] 1 user Likes mordant's post
20-04-2017, 12:56 PM
(20-04-2017 12:12 PM)mordant Wrote:  Come to think of it my current wife is also an atheist but won't use the label, and if pressed would probably use agnostic. And she hasn't though about it in part because she never was a believer (closest she came was her mother dragging her to a UU church when she was very young, which hardly counts) and in part because it's just not something she's curious about and she thinks it's so ridiculous that she doesn't think about god and religion for the same reason she doesn't think about garden fairies or leprechauns.

In truth I suspect there are a LOT of people like her too, who resist the very negative stereotype of the label "atheist" but actually are one anyway. Unlike most of us here, who are keen to discuss and debate these matters, there are probably a veritable trove of atheists who DON'T care to.

I take those hidden atheists as proof of the common atheist belief that if there were no theists, then atheists would stop calling themselves "atheists".