Poll: Are you out or in the closet?
I am completely in the closet
I am out to one person only.
I am out to a few people.
I am out in my private life, but not at work.
I am out at work but not to my family.
I come out when asked.
I shout it from the roof tops.
[Show Results]

Are you out or in the closet?

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 3.5 Average
18-09-2017, 08:32 AM
RE: Are you out or in the closet?
I appear to have been somewhat outed, unintentionally, to my cousin. My wife posted some silly survey result on her FB page, where you sign into a web site with your FB credentials, and they morph your FB profile pic with some world historical figures. In her case it came back with a series of "past lives" beginning with Jesus. I thought it was hilarious and put a like on it . My cousin apparently saw the like and went to look at the post. She posted, "You know better than that." Thought it would shame me I suppose. I briefly thought of shaming her for supporting a corrupt sociopathic pussy-grabbing mobster president, but I honestly just don't care enough to bother.

My wife suggested limiting her to seeing stuff I specifically share as public but I told my wife I just don't care enough to spare her tender sensibilities or to dignify them with a response.

She's late to the party anyway, my atheism is no secret to the extended family, it's just that many of them don't notice, don't care ,or don't care to notice.

I continue to keep my metaphysics opaque to my clients, but even there, I don't think any of them would be offended by my wife's post. Sheesh.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes mordant's post
19-09-2017, 01:45 PM
Mostly in the closet. My wife knows, but even after a few years of knowing she still has issues with it. Currently she is using it to blame me for some family issues and contemplating leaving me over it. Both my brothers know, but my parents and sister do not (unless one of my brothers told them). Most of my friends do not know, but we never discuss religion anyway.
[+] 2 users Like wazzel's post
21-09-2017, 09:22 AM (This post was last modified: 21-09-2017 10:20 AM by grejen.)
I am completely out of the closet
Oh crap clicked the wrong end of the scale - blame lack of caffeine. Sorry I skewed the poll.
In fact, until recently I never even gave it much thought. Now I find the realization that there is a closet at all to be somewhat disturbing. What sort of parent's and loved ones would..... well... I guess they have good intentions as well as twisted reasons. Still tho... you'd think attempting to force people, esp kids, to believe a specific set of things that are demonstrably untrue or not demonstrably true would be illegal.

I'm agnostic on agnosticism
[+] 1 user Likes grejen's post
25-09-2017, 06:26 AM
Why do we even need this question?

I put it down to religious control tactics honed over thousands of years so everyone is at best worried about what others may think. At worst they fear for their lives.

I shout it from the rooftops at every opportunity.
[+] 1 user Likes MarylinC's post
26-09-2017, 10:13 PM
(25-09-2017 06:26 AM)MarylinC Wrote:  Why do we even need this question?

I put it down to religious control tactics honed over thousands of years so everyone is at best worried about what others may think. At worst they fear for their lives.

I shout it from the rooftops at every opportunity.
Sometimes discretion is the better part of valor. I have an incredibly lucrative long term relationship as a contractor to a virtual company that's willing to pay me a very big hourly rate for work that is by turns easy and invigoratingly challenging -- but alas, the two main leaders of that company are a conservative Catholic and a Bible Belt fundamentalist with four homeschooled teenage daughters. I don't want to make their heads explode and risk ruin to my gravy train. In the Real World, sometimes religious people hold the purse strings.

Fortunately I live 3000 miles away from company headquarters and only see them a couple times a year in person, and so I'm able to be far more relaxed in the liberal and relatively areligious community I live in. Even here, though, there's no real reason to lead with my unbelief, so to speak. I don't hide it but don't consider it particularly relevant, either. Society's taboos against prying about people's religion or lack thereof (at least here outside the Bible Belt) does the rest.

And that's the other side of this question, it isn't necessarily a matter of being in the closet, so much as, who cares? It turns out the only people who REALLY care are the impertinent assholes that dream of ramming it down everyone's throat and creating some sort of theocracy. Most religious people actually aren't like that. They are willing to hold their beliefs privately and let me do the same. We forget that sometimes because the creepshow of Bible-thumpers who usually parade through here with their non-sequiturs have an outsize influence on our attention and on society itself.
[+] 3 users Like mordant's post
27-09-2017, 09:11 PM
I think a lot of atheists take pride in their rational thinking. I am out as an atheist, but just coming out to myself as an irrational thinker. Like, I've always known I was an irrational being on some level, but now I'm starting to accept it and see how it affects my relationships with the world around me. Just because I wake up every now and then screaming that the 7 bowls of revelation represent the 5 known and 2 more senses of mankind doesn't mean I can't go on not believing in a God. i promise I promise I promise that I don't believe in god no more. Just make it go away.

Climate change denial is not an individuals position.
It is a collective phenomenon, that manifests itself daily in RUSH HOUR TRAFFIC!Evil_monster
02-10-2017, 10:02 AM
For the most part I am loud and proud. That being said, I do know when to keep my mouth shut.
02-10-2017, 11:22 AM
I never was in.
They sent me to Catholic school.
They gave up after 2nd grade.
They met with my parents.
They didn't want me back.

[Image: anigif_enhanced-26851-1450298712-2.gif]
02-10-2017, 02:09 PM
(27-09-2017 09:11 PM)VKTD Wrote:  I think a lot of atheists take pride in their rational thinking.

At least we try.

Quote:I am out as an atheist, but just coming out to myself as an irrational thinker. Like, I've always known I was an irrational being on some level, but now I'm starting to accept it and see how it affects my relationships with the world around me.

Everyone starts as irrational. Not everyone tries to be rational.
[+] 1 user Likes Thoreauvian's post
02-10-2017, 02:44 PM
I'm a closet-dweller... for now.
Here's the deal: I'm 53 years old, and have just finished a years-long slide into complete non-belief. My aged parents are still alive, and still very much believers. Although they know I'm not actively attending church services, they do not know that I no longer believe. They don't ask... I don't tell. My brother passed away 4 months ago, and they find so much comfort in thinking that they'll see him again. I'm not going to call them on that bullshit. After 80 years of indoctrination and belief, it would only cause them pain - so unless they ask... I've also been married for 34 years to the same man... he can't even stand the sound of the word atheist. He's got the same doubts that I started with, but is too fearful to examine them. I get it. When Jesus' "love" and eternal hell is drilled into your brain from the moment you can form a sentence, it's a process to shed the fear. I'm glad to be here.
- cwv
[+] 2 users Like BetterLateThanNever's post