Poll: Are you out or in the closet?
I am completely in the closet
I am out to one person only.
I am out to a few people.
I am out in my private life, but not at work.
I am out at work but not to my family.
I come out when asked.
I shout it from the roof tops.
[Show Results]

Are you out or in the closet?

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 3.5 Average
02-10-2017, 04:01 PM
RE: Are you out or in the closet?
(02-10-2017 02:09 PM)Thoreauvian Wrote:  Everyone starts as irrational. Not everyone tries to be rational.

This. Pretty much everybody is irrational on some subject at some time. The important thing is what you do about it when it is pointed out.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes unfogged's post
03-10-2017, 02:23 PM
I selected the "rooftop" answer, but that's not terribly accurate. I'm certainly don't strut (or as the case usually is, wobble) around wearing a Darwin t-shirt and fedora, by any means. I may indeed have a beard, but it doesn't extend to my neck. I don't even sport a clever anti-theist fish/dino/whatever on the car, although where we live it would survive about 20 minutes in most any parking lot.

However, the one tiny bit of religion I do follow is the 11th Commandment: thou shalt not get away with it. People quickly learn that they can't get away with dancing the Jesus boogie around me because I will indeed call them on it. Even if it's something as small as the Raised Eyebrow of WTF? Seriously Dude? with a small, knowing, smirk I let 'em know that they aren't getting away with a damned thing. About the only time and place that I refrain from this is at funerals, for obvious reasons. I also tend to avoid funerals for obvious reasons. The unrestrained Jesusing and shows of feigned piety at American funerals quickly causes my gorge to rise.
[+] 1 user Likes CosmoMcKinley's post
03-10-2017, 03:11 PM
I'm surprised at the high percentage of people that shout their atheism from the rooftops. If religionists do that, it rightly and totally pisses me off. I can only judge their standards by my own with any fairness.

So... we can broadcast the fact of our atheism uninvited, and publicly, but Christians aren't allowed to do so. How does that work?

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
03-10-2017, 04:19 PM
(03-10-2017 03:11 PM)SYZ Wrote:  I'm surprised at the high percentage of people that shout their atheism from the rooftops. If religionists do that, it rightly and totally pisses me off. I can only judge their standards by my own with any fairness.

So... we can broadcast the fact of our atheism uninvited, and publicly, but Christians aren't allowed to do so. How does that work?

It's called payback Tongue

Get your own bleeding hymn book
03-10-2017, 10:18 PM
(03-10-2017 03:11 PM)SYZ Wrote:  I'm surprised at the high percentage of people that shout their atheism from the rooftops. If religionists do that, it rightly and totally pisses me off. I can only judge their standards by my own with any fairness.

That depends, I think, on what one means by "shout it from the rooftops." There's nothing wrong with showing "atheist pride." In fact, a lot of atheists are recovering former theists loose in a bright new world. Of course they're going to be giddy about it, having thrown off the shackles of religion.

That's a far cry from knocking on stranger's doors to inquire that they've heard that there's no such thing as a god.
[+] 1 user Likes CosmoMcKinley's post
04-10-2017, 08:13 AM
(03-10-2017 10:18 PM)CosmoMcKinley Wrote:  

That depends, I think, on what one means by "shout it from the rooftops." There's nothing wrong with showing "atheist pride." In fact, a lot of atheists are recovering former theists loose in a bright new world. Of course they're going to be giddy about it, having thrown off the shackles of religion.

That's a far cry from knocking on stranger's doors to inquire that they've heard that there's no such thing as a god.

I put Shout it from the rooftops, but that is not entirely accurate. I am out and do not hide my atheism. Usually I out myself once someone brings up religion. Except while at work, I keep it to myself just like a preacher turned atheist. We want money even if it comes from religious people.
07-10-2017, 03:00 PM
I may have replied to this tread before, tough shit. OK, when my parents were alive I am not sure I consciously told them I did not believe there was a god. No one else on the planet that has come in contact with me does not understand that I do not believe in a god (maybe in the gods that exist in the soil and the rocks and the trees and all that earth provides).

I will cop to one fact, I live in Northern California, it is a lot easier here than say rural Texas to be openly atheist. I will contend that no matter where I was people would know I was an atheist. OK, OK I will not and would not offend the deeply religious. That is not in my nature. I will tell anyone who cares that I lack belief and find belief itself a cause of harm.
[+] 1 user Likes JAH's post
16-10-2017, 08:29 AM
Always been out. Grew up with secular atheist parents in England.

My atheism was never a problem until I moved to N America.

I even had my USA psychiatrist, treating me for ongoing PTSD at the time say I must be angry at god, or my church.

He was gobsmacked when I said I have always been atheist and have never been to church, the odd wedding or funeral notwithstanding.
[+] 1 user Likes JackRussell's post
23-10-2017, 02:09 PM
My mother, stepfather, sister, stepsister, several family friends know, all friends (IRL and online) know, and most relatives on Stepdad's side don't really seem to care. My mother's side is where things get tricky. I have three uncles, one great uncle, three aunts and a great aunt. I hardly contact one, who works out of town, but I don't think he gives a damn. My second uncle is a devout believer. I was at my (now deceased) Grandmothers house and I said to myself I didn't believe in God. He responded with "you better believe." The third one, I don't speak to much either due to his work being so far away isn't aware of it, so it remains unknown how he will feel about it. My Great aunt knows, and supports and accepts me. My Great uncle knows, but we rarely discuss religion. One aunt in my family is actually also atheist, as is her son, my high school aged cousin. My other aunt, married to the third uncle. Doesn't seem to care. Aunt #3, the aunt I keep in touch with her more than aunts #1 or two combined. She is an odd case She used to be wiccan. However, at some point, She had a complete change of beliefs and is a Christian, though not nearly as religious as my uncle. She is very hostile to the idea of atheists, and banned any book or websites challenging Christianity when I visited until 2016, when my Grandmother talked her into changing her mind. She remains hostile to atheism and I don't want to tell her because I know it won't end well for me. In spite of that, we maintain a very strong, positive relationship. We like the same football team, and she knows I like metal: She's getting me a Sabaton T-shirt for Christmas.