Poll: Are you out or in the closet?
I am completely in the closet
I am out to one person only.
I am out to a few people.
I am out in my private life, but not at work.
I am out at work but not to my family.
I come out when asked.
I shout it from the roof tops.
[Show Results]

Are you out or in the closet?

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 3.5 Average
15-12-2017, 08:33 PM
RE: Are you out or in the closet?
(11-07-2016 06:00 PM)Dom Wrote:  This is a poll about whether you are in the closet or out with your atheism.
I don't believe there is a closet. Not where I live.
I don't go around telling people I don't believe in god, but people don't ask and the topic of gods doesn't tend to come up. It's a non issue.

NZ is pretty tolerant. Don't matter if you are Hindu, Muslim, Christian, Atheist or any of the other multitude of beliefs.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Stevil's post
15-12-2017, 08:38 PM
(03-10-2017 03:11 PM)SYZ Wrote:  I'm surprised at the high percentage of people that shout their atheism from the rooftops. If religionists do that, it rightly and totally pisses me off. I can only judge their standards by my own with any fairness.

So... we can broadcast the fact of our atheism uninvited, and publicly, but Christians aren't allowed to do so. How does that work?
I don't think many atheists get pissed if they see a Christian wearing a cross, or a Jesus fish on their car. Or even if a friend or associate somehow discloses their religious affiliation. I mean what's there to get angry at.

I suspect you get angry at people who show publicly that they are Muslim, wearing head scarves and what not.

Doubt you get angry when you see a Sikh in a turban.
16-12-2017, 07:36 AM
I'm out to coworkers and a few close friends. Not family. I no longer attend any church service, haven't for years.

I agree with Stevil. I don't get mad at the religious if they wear or present something regarding their faith, i.e. jewelry or bumper stickers. I just find it as a wishful fallacy and go on about my day. My problem is when they try to make their fallacy now become my issue. Even if they do it in a careful, well-intentioned way, I will politely decline at first, but if they push it, well... that's it. I become an angry atheist.

Eat a live frog first thing in the morning, and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
--Mark Twain
[+] 1 user Likes Tennpenn83's post
16-12-2017, 08:48 AM
I was never in it.
[+] 1 user Likes jonqpublic's post
16-12-2017, 09:44 AM
(15-12-2017 08:38 PM)Stevil Wrote:  I don't think many atheists get pissed if they see a Christian wearing a cross, or a Jesus fish on their car. Or even if a friend or associate somehow discloses their religious affiliation. I mean what's there to get angry at.

It pisses me off that these all-too-obvious religious zealots have the self-absorption and the arrogance to assume they have the right to effectively "advertise" their absurd beliefs in a public place. Why, as an atheist in a nominally secular country, should I have to see religious iconography everywhere I look? Such is the power of the religious right in Australia FFS.

You may not "think" that many atheists get pissed off when they see crosses and fishes, but I can assure you that they definitely do a mental eye-roll or snigger at this silly symbology. I know I do.

Quote:Doubt you get angry when you see a Sikh in a turban.

Yes I do. Well, "angry" is possibly a bit too strong a term, but it certainly causes me some concern. As a lifelong atheist, I find any outward display of one's religion, creed or caste repellent on principle. It's at odds with an encompassing, secular, and equitable society that says every person is of equal status within that society.

I certainly don't have the gall to advertise to everyone the fact that I'm an atheist—here in Australia; why should I accept religious zealots doing so? Surely one's religion (or lack of) should be a private matter in a purportedly enlightened 21st-century society?

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
[+] 1 user Likes SYZ's post
17-12-2017, 04:18 PM
I'm completely out to my family and now to my class at school after I argued with the teacher about evolution in front of everybodyLaugh out load

Most people outside of those two circles seem to assume I'm religious because the rest of my family is, and tbh I don't feel the need to correct them unless it comes up. If asked, I have no problem with being honest though. Same goes for my sexuality although I have to be careful about making sure it doesn't get back to certain family members.

Stand on your own shoulders. The giants won't always be there.
[+] 1 user Likes 404ReligionNotFound's post
01-01-2018, 02:10 AM
(11-07-2016 07:06 PM)Peebothuhul Wrote:  Am lucky enough to be in a country and at a time when I've never actually 'Been' in the closet about my beliefs.

Hug To all those still suffering.

I'm the same. There hasn't been an atheist closet in Australia for decades. We never went down the "Christian country" route, praise Brian. Though we have a handful of frightened Conservative old white men trying to drag us there, now. They're not getting far. Hard to make 23 million people do The Time Warp again when it doesn't involve fun and fishnets.

To all the American atheists - well, most of the faithful are moderate, reasonable Christians, aren’t they? Cultural Christians. NOT the hard core religious nut jobs they're made out to be. It's just the squeaky wheel gets the grease, and the Christian Right squeak like a big bag of rats.
[+] 3 users Like Sushisnake's post
01-01-2018, 09:25 AM
(01-01-2018 02:10 AM)Sushisnake Wrote:  Though we have a handful of frightened Conservative old white men trying to drag us there, now...

And how ironic that one of them's named Abbott. Tongue
Who is also against same-sex marriage, stem-cell research, and abortion.

As Australia becomes less religious, paradoxically, Christianity seems to be flourishing in both the Coalition government and the opposition Labor Party.

We also have an official body called the "Parliamentary Christian Fellowship" which promotes what it calls the "Australian National Prayer Breakfast".

The National Prayer Breakfast is a significant event in the Australian Parliamentary Year. We believe it is important that members of the parliament pause and join with other leaders in the nation to seek the wisdom and counsel of God.

The National Prayer Breakfast is hosted by the Parliamentary Christian Fellowship with the support of a small organising committee. Since 1982 it has been recognised as a unique forum for national leaders to come together to pray for our nation, national issues and for one another as national leaders.

Angry

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
[+] 2 users Like SYZ's post
01-01-2018, 02:11 PM
(01-01-2018 09:25 AM)SYZ Wrote:  
(01-01-2018 02:10 AM)Sushisnake Wrote:  Though we have a handful of frightened Conservative old white men trying to drag us there, now...

And how ironic that one of them's named Abbott. Tongue
Who is also against same-sex marriage, stem-cell research, and abortion.

As Australia becomes less religious, paradoxically, Christianity seems to be flourishing in both the Coalition government and the opposition Labor Party.

We also have an official body called the "Parliamentary Christian Fellowship" which promotes what it calls the "Australian National Prayer Breakfast".

The National Prayer Breakfast is a significant event in the Australian Parliamentary Year. We believe it is important that members of the parliament pause and join with other leaders in the nation to seek the wisdom and counsel of God.

The National Prayer Breakfast is hosted by the Parliamentary Christian Fellowship with the support of a small organising committee. Since 1982 it has been recognised as a unique forum for national leaders to come together to pray for our nation, national issues and for one another as national leaders.

Angry

Ah yes! Father Tony, the mad monk. How much of it do you think is real and how much is about donors? Our Christian Right has received donations from the US Christian Right, so it's a decent honeypot. I wonder, too, if the pollies are yet again misreading the Australian people, SYZ? Do they think this stuff plays so well in the States it will play well here? Are they so out of touch in their bubble? Or are they so desperate for the Conservative grey vote, they'll risk alienating the rest of us?

And then, of course, there's this crap. Way past it's useby date.

https://theconversation.com/official-pra...pped-81673

So much for multicultural Australia.
10-01-2018, 06:56 AM
I voted "I come out when asked.".

If the subject comes up, I'll gladly state my position. If it doesn't, no need to bring it up.

"Examine the religious principles, which have, in fact, prevailed in the world. You will scarcely be persuaded, that they are any thing but sick men's dreams." - David Hume