Poll: Are you out or in the closet?
I am completely in the closet
I am out to one person only.
I am out to a few people.
I am out in my private life, but not at work.
I am out at work but not to my family.
I come out when asked.
I shout it from the roof tops.
[Show Results]

Are you out or in the closet?

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 3.5 Average
01-05-2018, 06:47 PM
RE: Are you out or in the closet?
I didn't really find an option for my own bit of the closet spectrum...I don't exactly shout it from the rooftops, but also might sometimes steer a conversation in that direction without necessarily being asked. Yet there are other times where, if I feel that it might make a casual relationship awkward even though I know the other person is deeply religious, I will more or less avoid the subject. I won't lie if it's brought up, but sometimes there's no point in going there on purpose.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like jynnantonnix's post
10-05-2018, 02:27 AM
I've been an atheist for four years but I had only told my wife and brother until a few months ago. Now I have widened the circle to include my kids and anybody who asks directly, I won't lie. The only reason I'm not open is my elderly parents will be devastated, and I (mostly) think it's better to delay that conversation.
[+] 4 users Like Journeyman's post
03-07-2018, 11:39 PM
I keep changing my mind about whether or not I’m an atheist. At this point I think not. However that may be, what I think (or don’t think) about God might alarm or trouble most people who believe in God, and they might even see it as atheism. In the poll I said that I shout it from the rooftops, which isn’t actually true even figuratively, but it’s closer to the truth than any of the other choices. I don’t hide it, and sometimes I flaunt it, like I did recently with some friends in a religious forum, saying that I’m not sure that God is real.

- Jim
[+] 1 user Likes jimhabegger's post
04-07-2018, 04:09 AM
(03-07-2018 11:39 PM)jimhabegger Wrote:  I keep changing my mind about whether or not I’m an atheist. At this point I think not. However that may be, what I think (or don’t think) about God might alarm or trouble most people who believe in God, and they might even see it as atheism. In the poll I said that I shout it from the rooftops, which isn’t actually true even figuratively, but it’s closer to the truth than any of the other choices. I don’t hide it, and sometimes I flaunt it, like I did recently with some friends in a religious forum, saying that I’m not sure that God is real.

People in your position sometimes wish to redefine "God" so as not to feel alienated from other people. I certainly did. Still, you are likely a disbeliever in the most common ideas of God, so being honest may push you into the atheist camp someday. For instance, when I realized that the attributes of consciousness and wilfullness had dropped out of my God-concept, I had to admit that my revised concept was no longer recognizably a god at all.
[+] 3 users Like Thoreauvian's post
04-07-2018, 12:49 PM
I’m totally out of the closet. I was leaning that way but after college, I dropped the pretense. I discovered early on that even the slightly religious will take it personally when you reject their shared delusion.

A friend chastised me for hating god because my parents had died. I knew she was one of those Christians who only go to church on Easter and Christmas. But she was offended anyway. I assured her that I couldn’t hate something I didn’t think existed. She was unconvinced. She then thought I had turned to Satan worship. I had to convince her that I didn’t think any god existed. Sheesh! People unclear on the concept...

About then I decided to put the “Atheist” bumper sticker on my car. When I reestablished contact with my future husband, after he quit telling me how good I looked after all those years, he saw the bumper sticker. “Atheist, huh?” said he. “Yes,” I replied. “I don’t want there to be any misunderstandings between us.” “Fine with me,” he replied. “I always thought the whole thing was pretty silly anyway.”
[+] 3 users Like Rachel's post
05-07-2018, 05:09 AM
(04-07-2018 12:49 PM)Rachel Wrote:  I’m totally out of the closet. I was leaning that way but after college, I dropped the pretense. I discovered early on that even the slightly religious will take it personally when you reject their shared delusion.

A friend chastised me for hating god because my parents had died. I knew she was one of those Christians who only go to church on Easter and Christmas. But she was offended anyway. I assured her that I couldn’t hate something I didn’t think existed. She was unconvinced. She then thought I had turned to Satan worship. I had to convince her that I didn’t think any god existed. Sheesh! People unclear on the concept...

About then I decided to put the “Atheist” bumper sticker on my car. When I reestablished contact with my future husband, after he quit telling me how good I looked after all those years, he saw the bumper sticker. “Atheist, huh?” said he. “Yes,” I replied. “I don’t want there to be any misunderstandings between us.” “Fine with me,” he replied. “I always thought the whole thing was pretty silly anyway.”

> I really find it rather annoying when certain idiotic Christians act as if they were clairvoyant and act as if they know what an atheist is thinking, regardless or in spite of what the atheist has to say. Dodgy
[+] 2 users Like Gwaithmir's post
05-07-2018, 08:29 AM
(05-07-2018 05:09 AM)Gwaithmir Wrote:  > I really find it rather annoying when certain idiotic Christians act as if they were clairvoyant and act as if they know what an atheist is thinking, regardless or in spite of what the atheist has to say. Dodgy
Yes. They seem to think that their religious belief maps to ESP. Those types of believers aren’t worth bothering with. They are allergic to facts, reason, and logic.
[+] 1 user Likes Rachel's post
12-07-2018, 05:26 PM
A very few people know for sure for me...a few others I am sure suspect...my family...not so much.
[+] 1 user Likes Raivene's post