Poll: Are you out or in the closet?
I am completely in the closet
I am out to one person only.
I am out to a few people.
I am out in my private life, but not at work.
I am out at work but not to my family.
I come out when asked.
I shout it from the roof tops.
[Show Results]

Are you out or in the closet?

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 3.5 Average
11-07-2016, 09:39 PM
RE: Are you out or in the closet?
I'm selectively out with friends and coworkers, actually I've surprised myself at how many times I've simply been honest if it's come up at work or with friends, which hasn't been all that often but has happened.

As far as family goes I'm still pretty closeted, I don't think anybody in my family knows the depths of my heathenry. I suspect that my parents suspect, but so far it's been don't ask don't tell. I'm okay with that.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-07-2016, 09:40 PM
I am out when asked. I give space to close family that believes. I will politely put things in their proper mythical context if they evangelize.

We have to remember that what we observe is not nature herself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning ~ Werner Heisenberg
11-07-2016, 09:42 PM
Right this minute I'm wearing my God Less America shirt and I just came from dinner at my cousin's house. Yeah, I'm out.

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like WillHopp's post
12-07-2016, 12:37 AM
I'm out with anyone who brings up the topic. If it's a discussion with friends and acquaintances, I'll explain why if it seems useful. If it's a stranger who's bebothering me with Jesus-stuff (which happens sometimes here in Central Texas), I simply say "I'm not a believer" and leave it at that.
12-07-2016, 12:55 AM
My family and friends know about my atheism. Also when somebody asks I see no reason to hide this particular piece of information.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
12-07-2016, 01:12 AM
I feel not the slightest need to hide my atheism. I also feel not the slightest need to hide my dislike of woo, especially religious woo. In fact I quite like rustling religitards jimbobs.
12-07-2016, 01:35 AM
I suppose some people don't know in my life, because it never comes up or has any relevance to me. It became an excessively absurd notion to even care about the concept several years ago for me. It just isn't a point I have ever denied.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
12-07-2016, 05:13 AM
(12-07-2016 01:12 AM)Gilgamesh Wrote:  I feel not the slightest need to hide my atheism. I also feel not the slightest need to hide my dislike of woo, especially religious woo. In fact I quite like rustling religitards jimbobs.

I'm not sure what that means -- but I'll bet it's only legal in a few states....

Big Grin

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post
12-07-2016, 08:13 AM
Are you out or in the closet?
(12-07-2016 01:12 AM)Gilgamesh Wrote:  I feel not the slightest need to hide my atheism. I also feel not the slightest need to hide my dislike of woo, especially religious woo. In fact I quite like rustling religitards jimbobs.

Will you rustle my jimbobs? That's sounds exciting.
[+] 2 users Like KUSA's post
12-07-2016, 08:53 AM
It's nobody's business but mine. I don't go around asking friends and colleagues what their beliefs are. Whatever they are, they're entitled to whatever belief or non-belief they want. It's only when those beliefs have an unwelcome impact on me and my loved ones that I start to get uppity.

If a theist wants to ask me about it they'll get a straight answer but if they do then they're going to be challenged about their own beliefs.

The invisible and the non-existent look very much alike
Excreta Tauri Sapientam Fulgeat (The excrement of the bull causes wisdom to flee)