Poll: Are you out or in the closet?
I am completely in the closet
I am out to one person only.
I am out to a few people.
I am out in my private life, but not at work.
I am out at work but not to my family.
I come out when asked.
I shout it from the roof tops.
[Show Results]

Are you out or in the closet?

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 3.5 Average
12-07-2016, 09:00 AM
RE: Are you out or in the closet?
I'm a theist, but I've been outed before? And I'm reasonably certain my cousin's Baptist minister husband believes me to be a closeted atheist.

Need to think of a witty signature.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
12-07-2016, 12:02 PM
I'm between "come out when asked" and "shout from rooftops", the only reason being I'll mention it when the subject turns in that direction. Sometimes just talking about a recent news event someone at work or in a social setting would say "Well thank God, it was a miracle, an angel was watching, etc. " and I'll say "Well, I'm an atheist so I don't believe in that but they sure were lucky and I'm grateful to the cops, doctors, whoever actually helped, etc."

I just get annoyed when it's assumed I believe in God, I'd rather mention it or remind someone before going forward because I used to hide it all the time to be courteous but then it felt like I was lying and they would just talk about God more and more, I figure it's best to be open about it but in a nice way. Also it's important to realize why good things happen, because of the efforts of real people working together, instead of a fickle sky wizard.

[Image: sagansig_zps6vhbql6m.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes SitaSky's post
12-07-2016, 12:37 PM
If people ask, I usually put a big baboon smile on my face and stare at them for a minute. One way or another, it drops the subject.

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
12-07-2016, 01:38 PM
(12-07-2016 09:00 AM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  I'm a theist, but I've been outed before? And I'm reasonably certain my cousin's Baptist minister husband believes me to be a closeted atheist.

So do we. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
12-07-2016, 04:27 PM
I didn't realise that there was a closet.

I certainly don't broadcast to people that I am an atheist, but in NZ religion is rarely brought up, most of the time I don't have a clue as to whether people are religious or not or what religion they belong to.

It's just a non issue.

But of course for some people, even here, perhaps their religious parents will make an issue of it if their kid professes to be atheist. So if there is a closet, it exists inside the family home, it isn't a public closet.
13-07-2016, 07:49 AM
Everyone who has bothered to ask, or be involved with me in a conversation in which it is relevant (hard to discuss my view on neuroscience as it relates to any given issue without using my non belief in the non physical to establish my opinion, for example)

'Murican Canadian
13-07-2016, 08:15 AM
I come "out" to anyone who directly asks, I certainly don't go out of my way to hide the fact I'm an atheist; but I don't advertise it with bumper stickers and t-shirts either. I don't often discuss religious beliefs with others because I don't really care about theirs and I don't consider my lack of belief to be very important. I don't usually tell people I don't believe in dragons either, but if someone were to ask I wouldn't hide the fact that I think they're a fairy tale. My non-belief in these things isn't a big deal. I wouldn't list it in the top 10 things someone should know about me.
13-07-2016, 08:25 AM
(11-07-2016 06:00 PM)Dom Wrote:  This is a poll about whether you are in the closet or out with your atheism.

I wear my atheism like an emblem on a shirt. If people don't ask me about it, I wont comment, but the second they do... And sometimes before they do if I'm particularly hot-headed at the time.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
13-07-2016, 08:32 AM
I never think about it much. I didn't realize until a few years ago that non believers had to be quiet about religion so I didn't realize that a closet existed. I'm surrounded by a lot of Portland bohemian types so it's not a problem. Some of my dance friends are religious but I don't care much if they know.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
13-07-2016, 08:37 AM
In my unit we have mostly conventional Christians, a Mexican Catholic, a couple Mormons, a Buddhist, a pagan, and me the atheist. But we mostly just talk about guns.

Guns. Bringing people of different beliefs together.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 2 users Like yakherder's post