Poll: Are you out or in the closet?
I am completely in the closet
I am out to one person only.
I am out to a few people.
I am out in my private life, but not at work.
I am out at work but not to my family.
I come out when asked.
I shout it from the roof tops.
[Show Results]

Are you out or in the closet?

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 2 Average
13-07-2016, 10:19 AM
RE: Are you out or in the closet?
I voted "I come out when asked." as it was the closest to accurate. My close family, friends, and coworkers know, but not everyone in any of those circles. It largely comes up when relevant.

A good chunk of the people who go to the first service of my wife's church know, because she told them. This wasn't anything insidious or anything. They're all quite nice and I really can't tell any difference from how they act.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
13-07-2016, 02:40 PM
(13-07-2016 08:37 AM)yakherder Wrote:  In my unit we have mostly conventional Christians, a Mexican Catholic, a couple Mormons, a Buddhist, a pagan, and me the atheist. But we mostly just talk about guns.

Guns. Bringing people of different beliefs together.

So, you associate with a good caliber of people? Consider

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 7 users Like Chas's post
21-07-2016, 11:35 AM
Almost half of us seem to come out when asked in this poll.

That's a lot better than I thought. I thought we were more closeted.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
21-07-2016, 12:47 PM
Are you out or in the closet?
Sometimes I like to hide in the closet.
21-07-2016, 09:19 PM
I put that I am totally in the closet, but my husband and I both left Christianity recently, so obviously, he knows. No one else does though, and I hate it. Most of our friends are Christians, so the subject is just awkward.
21-07-2016, 11:22 PM
I am out. My wife and my Children know and I have explained exactly why I don't believe. I don't go around announcing it to everyone but if asked I don't hesitate to answer. I was in the local farm store the other day and an older fellow came up behind me when I was paying at the counter, leaned around and asked me if I went to church that day (it was a Sunday). I replied that no I hadn't, that I was atheist and that I had better things to do on a fine Sunday than to go and sit listening to a bunch of falsehoods. All activity behind the counter stopped and everyone looked down at the floor. He said "me neither, It doesn't fit with my beliefs any more". He then cheerfully walked back out of the store. I assumed he was a new atheist and was finally able to tell others. He seemed really happy and free as if a great burden had been lifted from him. I'll never forget it. I thought to myself, there goes a happy man, that's how everyone should be, that should be the goal of life, to look and be like that man did.

As far as repercussions, I simply don't care. I work for myself and honestly the type of person who would hold it against me is probably not the type of person I'd care to have dealings with.

Do not lose your knowledge that man's proper estate is an upright posture, an intransigent mind and a step that travels unlimited roads. - Ayn Rand.

Don't sacrifice for me, live for yourself! - Me

The only alternative to Objectivism is some form of Subjectivism. - Dawson Bethrick
[+] 2 users Like true scotsman's post
22-07-2016, 03:48 AM
Don't "shout it from the rooftops," but yeah.

[Image: ZF1ZJ4M.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
22-07-2016, 09:21 AM
So I'm an atheist and that's pretty well known. As I'm an officer of the SSA group it's pretty damn obvious.

However with the job fair coming up in September and my need for a "real" job j might scale back in that.
22-07-2016, 09:30 AM
I'm out to my parents and siblings, along with my mother's parents (since she told em).

Otherwise I keep my atheism/agnoticism to myself, aside from internet debates. I wish I could live more in the open but that will only burn bridges.

Ignorance is not to be ignored.

Check out my DA gallery! http://oo-kiri-oo.deviantart.com/gallery/
24-07-2016, 12:21 AM
Best answer is "I come out when asked," except a more accurate answer would be "I *would* come out if asked." Nobody cares what I believe, and I'm okay with that.

The only person who knows for sure is my boyfriend, and again, he never really asked what I identified by; rather, when we discuss religion, we've both mentioned "I don't believe in God" in passing.