Poll: Are you out or in the closet?
I am completely in the closet
I am out to one person only.
I am out to a few people.
I am out in my private life, but not at work.
I am out at work but not to my family.
I come out when asked.
I shout it from the roof tops.
[Show Results]

Are you out or in the closet?

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 3.5 Average
24-07-2016, 03:31 AM
RE: Are you out or in the closet?
From my years here, I realise how lucky I am to be a brit.

Where I imagine people may look at you funny if you say your an atheist, the opposite is true here as ive seen many people be judged for being a theist.

I shout my atheism from the rooftoos and give both barrells to theists when it is brought up.

Ive memorised some verses from the koran, muslims are my favourite to verbally assasinate.

I feel so much, and yet I feel nothing.
I am a rock, I am the sky, the birds and the trees and everything beyond.
I am the wind, in the fields in which I roar. I am the water, in which I drown.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes bemore's post
24-07-2016, 11:40 AM
So for the most part, I "come out" when asked, or when religion is a topic of conversation, but I live in a tiny (southern) town of 2,000 people and four (that's 4!) churches. So If a neighbor asks, I call myself "non-denominational" and if they query further I resort to "why do you need to know that?" which usually shuts people up. I don't need to have religious wingnuts pitching rocks through my front window at night.
24-07-2016, 12:00 PM (This post was last modified: 24-07-2016 12:17 PM by GenesisNemesis.)
Out but I don't really have a reason to bring it up ever, only one person in my family is intensely religious. The majority of people in my family don't care.

28-07-2016, 04:10 PM
I can't tick any of the options because my option isn't there. I never formally come out to anybody. People who are around me will probably figure it out if they bring up religion or religious topics but I never tell anybody. Not because I have a reason to hide me being atheist but for the same reason, I don't tell everybody that I am allergic to chocolate and for the same reason, I don't run around announcing my sexual preferences un-asked. I won't deny or sugar coat anything when a conversation gets to it but I don't feel the need to actually come out in the sense of telling someone and making it a bigger deal than it is (at least around here and in my social circle).

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
- Wotsefack?! -
28-07-2016, 04:24 PM
(21-07-2016 11:22 PM)true scotsman Wrote:  I am out. My wife and my Children know and I have explained exactly why I don't believe. I don't go around announcing it to everyone but if asked I don't hesitate to answer. I was in the local farm store the other day and an older fellow came up behind me when I was paying at the counter, leaned around and asked me if I went to church that day (it was a Sunday). I replied that no I hadn't, that I was atheist and that I had better things to do on a fine Sunday than to go and sit listening to a bunch of falsehoods. All activity behind the counter stopped and everyone looked down at the floor. He said "me neither, It doesn't fit with my beliefs any more". He then cheerfully walked back out of the store. I assumed he was a new atheist and was finally able to tell others. He seemed really happy and free as if a great burden had been lifted from him. I'll never forget it. I thought to myself, there goes a happy man, that's how everyone should be, that should be the goal of life, to look and be like that man did.

As far as repercussions, I simply don't care. I work for myself and honestly the type of person who would hold it against me is probably not the type of person I'd care to have dealings with.

God used you as a blessing for him! LOL
28-07-2016, 04:36 PM
I am on another forum where one of the main characters twists every thread around to be antiabortion. I have brought several terms I learned here to confront him there such as sky wizard. He lives here in town, but if I ever saw him or others on that forum I wouldn't know it. But I am out loud and clear on there. The lady I live with has about a room temperature IQ, so there is no deep discussion about beliefs with her, but whenever a person makes a remark like "God has been good to me." I retort "He's been pretty ruff on me though, so I guess it all balances out, huh?"
Fr several years I had a bumper sticker that read Born Again Pagan, but when I went to visit my mother I peeled it off my car, so I guess I have a bit of hypocrite in me.
30-07-2016, 07:04 AM
To people I don't know, if asked, I tell them I don't believe in fairy tales. To family and friends, I try to stay away from any discussions involving God. Luckily for me though, most my family and friends are very secular, so God barely comes up, mostly in tragedies, my parents and my close friends remember to pray to God Laugh out load

1 Like = 1 Prayer
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
30-07-2016, 08:33 PM (This post was last modified: 30-07-2016 08:38 PM by pagesofdreams.)
I'm a fairly new Atheist (September 2015). I'm out to a few friends, my boyfriend, and my sister. *Sigh* Thinking about coming out to my parents and other friends is a super stressful thought. Some of my closer friends are super Wiccan, Wiccan-Christian and super convinced by their experiences, as I used to be. It's frustrating because I used to listen to their experiences with enthusiasm, now I listen with skepticism and feel less connected to the stories.

As for my parents, well, they are pretty Christian. Aunts and Uncles on my mom's side even more so. I had to listen to my Uncle preacher forcefully preach at the room at my other Uncle's funeral a couple months ago. It was awkward.
30-07-2016, 08:41 PM
My husband and son know, maybe one or two others guess I am. But I cannot do anything on social media because my mother-in-law lurks, and I am on the job market.

Rebellion is your link to the world, it is your first human act, your fundamental self-determination.
So long as you live, your rebellion is your integrity:
your integrity lies in rebellion.
Ivan Svitak, 1969
01-08-2016, 11:56 PM
Considering the fact I've spent most of my time living either in DC or Massachusetts, being frank about my atheism when it comes up has never once caused me any problems.

May the God I don't believe in bless the Northeast, the most enlightened corner of civilization in America.

[Image: giphy.gif]
[+] 3 users Like Tartarus Sauce's post