Poll: Are you out or in the closet?
I am completely in the closet
I am out to one person only.
I am out to a few people.
I am out in my private life, but not at work.
I am out at work but not to my family.
I come out when asked.
I shout it from the roof tops.
[Show Results]

Are you out or in the closet?

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 2 Average
13-11-2016, 09:24 PM (This post was last modified: 13-11-2016 09:29 PM by GenesisNemesis.)
RE: Are you out or in the closet?
Immediate family members know I'm an atheist, the rest don't have an issue with it except my aunt who I basically told over Facebook, and she seemed to change her tune after that (she's Jewish fundamentalist). I have a fairly non-religious family aside from my aunt and my brother. Doesn't mean they don't believe in weird stuff, just that they have no issue with me. Not sure if I already posted in this thread but whatever.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes GenesisNemesis's post
20-11-2016, 03:03 PM
Dayum...I'm so deep inside the closet, I can see Narnia..! Tongue Big Grin
[+] 4 users Like underdogFTW's post
24-11-2016, 01:45 AM
Regarding my atheism, I pretty much keep it to myself; however, if someone asks me about my stance on religion, then I'll be open about it. In addition, if I get the impression that someone may think I'm religious, then I'll also be upfront about my atheism, as I don't want to mislead anyone. For example, one day at work, I talked to a co-worker (who is a practitioner of Christianity) about my studies in dispute resolution and showed her my mediation card: I had completed 40 hours of mediation training at a Christian university. As a result, she asked me which church I went to, which resulted in me politely telling her that I was not religious and apologized if I gave her that impression (she was cool with it).

Also, if someone is forcing their beliefs on me in any way, especially religious morality, then IMO, I must also assert my individuality and let them know that I do not share their views; I respect their freedom to choose how they want to interpret reality, but naturally, I'd also like them to extend this same courtesy to me and others who think differently (and vice versa).
[+] 2 users Like Kernel Sohcahtoa's post
11-12-2016, 08:06 PM
Unfortunately, my name says it all. Blush I'm hoping to become unabashedly "OUT, LOUD AND PROUD" people at one point, but it's not feasible right now. Anyplace that I'm able to be anon (like online - youtube etc.) I'm a loud and proud "anti-theist" (as Hitch would say) - but that's not quite the same.

In ancient Egypt, cats were worshipped as gods.... they have never forgotten this
(And yes, that gorgeous creature in my avatar is my very own lovely psycho-kitty-Queen)
[+] 2 users Like Closet-Heathen's post
12-12-2016, 06:54 AM
So far only 20% are completely out. If we adjust public surveys with that, the number of atheists sky rockets.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
14-12-2016, 07:26 AM
I think my family is catching on. They no longer pray out loud for Jesus to "cover me in his blood" for protection. The last time I heard that one I recoiled in disgust and explained that I didn't require anyone's bodily fluids for protection. I have anti-theist discussions with my hyper religious brother from time to time as well.
[+] 1 user Likes Captain Congo's post
07-01-2017, 02:38 PM
I think it's most important to get people to doubt and think critically and logically. I am a rationalist and humanist and logic has led me to be pretty sure no human testimony can be trusted on such things and books based on testimony are equally invalid bearing in mind the very obvious ulterior motives that the powerful administrators will have. Even with very mundane stuff humans can be incredibly fallible and stubborn. Irrefutable evidence should be required. Obviously most religions contradict one another but religious folk so easily have super weak logic when required to maintain their traditions. I think many religious folk wonder about some higher being as possible but they don't really have certainty about all the details their church says and probably they think the different religions are really speaking about the same god Or gods? But people, especially modern people don't want to abandon their traditions and community activities. Somehow the people in the churches need to tell the pope and the whatever higher priests to just get real and accept reality without supernatural but still continue the genuinely and provably good aspects of whatever they do. Services can be modified keeping some traditional elements but just being more down to earth for example less waffle about Noah's ark and more talk about real tsunamis that have killed thousands of innocents. The church should get scientists and other good people on board more, people who care about people not about pie in the sky. Otherwise the church needs to just fade away as irrelevant.
If suddenly 80% of church people don't believe in the God part why should the "church" remain belonging to the 20% minority? I think the 80 % should changed the constitution of the church which belongs to them , which was fought for by their ancestors but now needs to modernise. I like going to church sometimes and I believe it partly belonged to me even though certain parts I don't agree with so what. It's difficult to apply logic to a falsehood and so why not redefine the game!
[+] 2 users Like Blanci's post
07-01-2017, 04:07 PM
I am out to my immediate family, and distant family are also physically distant.

I see no percentage in being out with in my professional life. For one thing, my direct report at my main client is a practicing conservative Catholic whose head would probably explode. They pay me too much money to risk the perception that I'm not as credible and honest because of my existential / philosophical positions, which have nothing to do with my work (I'm an IT professional).

Fortunately as a 100% telecommute it's easy to build a Chinese wall between my personal and professional life. I use aliases online, and would not openly join a local atheist group where I might be outed by name online and found by a Google search or something. But other than that ... if anyone asks me about my beliefs, I don't mind sharing them at all. I have several random theist friends locally who know I am an atheist, and it's not a problem for them, though one of them warned me to never let on to his wife that I don't believe (she attends the local Salvation Army church; presumably she would hit me over the head with her trumpet or something).
[+] 1 user Likes mordant's post
26-01-2017, 10:35 AM
(11-07-2016 06:10 PM)Nurse Wrote:  At this point I'm out to most of my friends and a handful of my family members. I haven't been asked at my new job, so I haven't said anything. If asked by a coworker, I'll probably be upfront about it. It's none of my patients' damn business - whether or not I tell them when asked will be situational. Drinking Beverage

I'm not out at church. Hobo

I have no intentions of coming out to most of my family.

It's hard to know what to do when you work in the health industry. I'm curious, do you still attend church?

If the pope went to Zumba class, then he may be eligible to spend eternity in my special unicorn mountain kingdom. Cool
26-01-2017, 11:44 AM
Are you out or in the closet?
I'm out. Never was in actually. Been an atheist for 44 years. Cheers folks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[+] 4 users Like treefireguy's post