Poll: Are you out or in the closet?
I am completely in the closet
I am out to one person only.
I am out to a few people.
I am out in my private life, but not at work.
I am out at work but not to my family.
I come out when asked.
I shout it from the roof tops.
[Show Results]

Are you out or in the closet?

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 3.5 Average
26-01-2017, 11:51 AM
RE: Are you out or in the closet?
Totally out of the closet. Everyone I work with and in my family knows that I'm an atheist. I chose that I shout it from the rooftops, but idk if that's exactly true. I don't also just say when I'm asked. Sometimes I volunteer it in the context warrants it.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
26-01-2017, 02:41 PM
I step out of the closet to look around and then get back in.
26-01-2017, 02:52 PM
I'm well and truly outSmile
26-01-2017, 03:28 PM
Raised in a very conservative Catholic family. Im definitely in the closet because I know it would really hurt my parents. But Im willing to talk about it to certain people if it comes up.

I do still find myself lying to my mom though...saying that I totally did go to church on Sunday. Probably not the best. But I dont know what would hurt her less...admitting Im an atheist or lying about attending church. She probably knows something is up though.
[+] 1 user Likes Keen's post
26-01-2017, 05:58 PM
Both.
It's a quantum thing.
Yes

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
26-01-2017, 06:23 PM
I'm out at home - of course Rev knows I'm an atheist, and my kids do now as well. My mom knows because my ex-husband outed me to her. Not sure if my dad ever knew (dunno if my mom told him) or if my brother knows. Not out at work, no way.

26-01-2017, 06:50 PM
When I first came out, I almost immediately lost a job because the boss said he "couldn't trust" someone who didn't believe in Jesus. Someone had been stealing fuel (I was working at an airport to pay for flying lessons), and even though it was proved that I was not doing it--or in any way involved--the boss decided to let me go, as well, stating to my face that he couldn't have an atheist working there. I considered suing, but... how could I prove he said that? And who on a jury would care in south Louisiana? In any case, I was almost done with my degree and taking some very hard biochem courses, so I used the extra time to pour myself into my studies.

Ever since then, though, I have remained staunchly out of the closet. For this, I have lost touch (for a couple of decades, now) with my fundamentalist siblings, and had numerous other ramifications-- including a mother-in-law who told my wife that the Bible said she shouldn't marry an atheist. To her credit, my wife immediately answered back with other verses that said otherwise. (Because that's how the Bible rolls.)

My wife even told me that, in a drunken moment, my brother's wife told her that she didn't want their son (my nephew) around me because I couldn't be trusted alone with children. Yeah, no shit, she actually implied that because I was an atheist, I was likely to molest a child. To her credit, again, my wife told her she was off her goddamned rocker and has not spoken to her, since.

On one occasion, some of my braver aunts and cousins asked me at a family gathering why I was so "strident" about proclaiming my nonbelief (I'm actually fairly circumspect about it, unless asked directly or someone tries to force me to participate in their religious rituals, in which case my abstinence is glaring enough to usually warrant a direct question), and in reply I explained the numerous ways in which we are lied about, discriminated against, and generally treated as somehow sub-human, and that I believed it was incumbent upon us to make ourselves known so that atheists are no longer Them™. They never asked me about it, again, and with exception of my siblings haven't ever seemed bothered by who I am... well, okay, I have a couple of aggressive uncles who like to Lie For Jesus™, and get mad when I correct them, but generally it's pretty amicable.

I think the more of us who can come out of the closet, and be seen as just regular people, even highly moral ones, the more it will expose the lies the preachers are telling about us at the pulpit, and improve the way we are seen and treated-- this is exactly what has been happening with gay people, over the past several decades. They finally got sick of being forced into the closet, and when they came out, it was people like Ellen who were just so damned likable that no one could really hate her for being a lesbian. Barriers broke down, and nowadays it's hard to find anyone under the age of 40 (outside of insular religious communities) who is truly homophobic.

I hope it works the same way for us.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 2 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
26-01-2017, 07:00 PM
(26-01-2017 06:50 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  I think the more of us who can come out of the closet, and be seen as just regular people, even highly moral ones, the more it will expose the lies the preachers are telling about us at the pulpit, and improve the way we are seen and treated-- this is exactly what has been happening with gay people, over the past several decades. They finally got sick of being forced into the closet, and when they came out, it was people like Ellen who were just so damned likable that no one could really hate her for being a lesbian. Barriers broke down, and nowadays it's hard to find anyone under the age of 40 (outside of insular religious communities) who is truly homophobic.
It will probably get easier to find them now that we are citizens of glorious nation of Trumpistan.

However, you are right, this is how it goes ... all the strident atheist-haters eventually become the crazy uncle in the basement or the cranky old granddad, and the grandkids ask themselves, what are we supposed to be all up in arms about? I have dozens of atheist friends ... atheists are cool.

Once atheists are ubiquitous it will be much harder to stigmatize them with crazy assertions and associations. So long as we don't have an authoritarian government that elevates us to the role of Hated Other, we'll be fine. Really.
[+] 1 user Likes mordant's post
27-01-2017, 10:21 AM
I never even had a closet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
27-01-2017, 10:23 AM
At work.

Currently in a box.

No, literally. My work space is a 'Demountable' box of an office.

Oh, oops! Different question! Blush