Agnostic-atheist
Agnostic-atheist AND anti-theist
Agnostic AND anti-theist
Agnostic
Agnostic-theist
Theist
Other
[Show Results]

Are you really an atheist? - Poll now added!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-09-2013, 08:19 AM

RE: Are you really an atheist? - Poll now added!
I will consider myself a freethinker, neither an atheist nor an agnostic. After seeing the argument about the undisprovable and unfalsifiable God all around the internet, is it really mean that God can't be disproved thus He is unfalsifiable? I know someone will suggest me the Russell's teapot, Invisible Pink Unicorn and FSM, but are there any other opinions, suggestions, etc. about the undisprovable and unfalsifiable God?
Quote this message in a reply
07-09-2013, 09:53 AM
(07-09-2013 08:19 AM)Mike Wrote:  I will consider myself a freethinker, neither an atheist nor an agnostic. After seeing the argument about the disprovable and unfalsifiable God all around the internet, is it really mean that God can't be disproved thus He is unfalsifiable? I know someone will suggest me the Russell's teapot, Invisible Pink Unicorn and FSM, but are there any other opinions, suggestions, etc. about the disprovable and unfalsifiable God?

Ah but the only non-disprovable god is the watchmaker tinkerer non-interventionist god that set the conditions for the big bang and then left never entering the universe. As for Allah and Yahweh those both intervened in the world and can be disproven to exist as stated. Yahweh is easy none of the early bible is true. First 5 books are all crap disproven by the various sciences and archeology. Same with Allah his creation story is false and without him creating the world the universe and Mankind the rest just falls apart. So if you want some kind of deistic there may have been a prime mover sort of thing, go for it but even that is subject to logic and logic says if the maker of the big bang doesn't require a maker (infinite regression) why not save a step and say the big bang doesn't? Otherwise known as Occam's Razor.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
07-09-2013, 09:57 AM
(07-09-2013 09:53 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(07-09-2013 08:19 AM)Mike Wrote:  I will consider myself a freethinker, neither an atheist nor an agnostic. After seeing the argument about the disprovable and unfalsifiable God all around the internet, is it really mean that God can't be disproved thus He is unfalsifiable? I know someone will suggest me the Russell's teapot, Invisible Pink Unicorn and FSM, but are there any other opinions, suggestions, etc. about the disprovable and unfalsifiable God?

Ah but the only non-disprovable god is

Gwynnies! Heart

Imma atheist, dependent on environment, like everything else. Dodgy

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
07-09-2013, 10:45 AM

Why, yes. Yes there is.

There is no evidence for the existence of any gods. The claim for existence is empty.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-09-2013, 11:08 AM

(07-09-2013 09:53 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  

Ah but the only non-disprovable god is the watchmaker tinkerer non-interventionist god that set the conditions for the big bang and then left never entering the universe. As for Allah and Yahweh those both intervened in the world and can be disproven to exist as stated. Yahweh is easy none of the early bible is true. First 5 books are all crap disproven by the various sciences and archeology. Same with Allah his creation story is false and without him creating the world the universe and Mankind the rest just falls apart. So if you want some kind of deistic there may have been a prime mover sort of thing, go for it but even that is subject to logic and logic says if the maker of the big bang doesn't require a maker (infinite regression) why not save a step and say the big bang doesn't? Otherwise known as Occam's Razor.

Occam's Razor. Ahhh.. Big Grin (Sorry there's a mistake in my question, it's not "disprovable" it's "undisprovable")
07-09-2013, 11:17 AM
(07-09-2013 08:19 AM)Mike Wrote:  I will consider myself a freethinker, neither an atheist nor an agnostic. ?

Belief is defined as the psychological state in which one holds a premise or proposition to be true. There are only 2 possibilities; to hold a premise or proposition to be true, or to not hold it to be true.

The question is simple: Do YOU have the belief that a god exists? In other words, do you hold the premise that a god exists to be true?

If you answer "YES", you are a theist. ANY OTHER answer is atheism.

It doesn't matter if you don't want to label yourself as an atheist, if you don't currently believe a god exists, you are one.
07-09-2013, 11:42 AM

Are Aristotelian God and Spinoza's God the same? If it's a same type of deistic god are there any differences between them?
07-09-2013, 01:24 PM
I'm a presuppositional atheist. I take it as a matter of faith there are no gods.
[+] 1 user Likes sandman's post
08-09-2013, 05:11 AM
I like the term "Non-Theist".Thumbsup
08-09-2013, 08:01 AM
Actually the question should very well be "Are you really a religious person?" From the view of reductionism, definition, or referential identity, there can be no such thing as a religious person. A human being making the claim can only say with confidence that he/she is trying to be christian, jewish, islamic or the like. A belief in a deity is not possible since it requires an adherence to tenets of the religion in question. Even the "higher power" question requires a description, a reference or some kind of identification of that power. There have been approximately 10k gods in the world to date and there is no-one alive that can claim complete adherence to any one of them yet a human being can now claim whatever they've been conditioned to and that claim is considered true. IOWs behavior is considerably more important that verbal declarations. Religious zealots, spokesmen, priests, pastors, rabbis and other authors of religions have always set the bar for behavior very high and out of reach for specific reasons all of which point to guilt and the remorse that follows. Free will is the fundamental pillar of support for every religion and the fact that it is a false assumption shows that religion is in fact a false philosophy and that gods and devils are in fact only representations of opinions which have no measurable basis.

Far better I think to have sympathy for the poor billions on this planet who have such an intense fear of death that they would devote any part of their lives and sometimes their entire lives to a fictional afterlife mainly for themselves and for those with whom they find agreement. To be empathic with the human species is to understand their fear and in the great, great majority their Intense fear.

Approximately 108 billion people have lived and died on this tiny pale blue dot and one can only weep, as Dr. M. O'Hare would say for this entire population.