Agnostic-atheist
Agnostic-atheist AND anti-theist
Agnostic AND anti-theist
Agnostic
Agnostic-theist
Theist
Other
[Show Results]

Are you really an atheist? - Poll now added!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-07-2013, 02:13 PM
RE: Are you really an atheist?
(23-07-2013 02:06 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  "Skepticism is my Nature, Free thought is my Ideology, Agnosticism is my conclusion, Atheism is my opinion and opinions are always subject to change."
-Jerry Dewitt

Actually, I believe it is,

"Skepticism is my nature. Freethought is my methodology. Agnosticism is my conclusion. Atheism is my opinion. Humanitarianism is my motivation."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
23-07-2013, 02:15 PM
(23-07-2013 02:13 PM)6.9 Agnostic Wrote:  
(23-07-2013 02:06 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  "Skepticism is my Nature, Free thought is my Ideology, Agnosticism is my conclusion, Atheism is my opinion and opinions are always subject to change."
-Jerry Dewitt

Actually, I believe it is,

"Skepticism is my nature. Freethought is my methodology. Agnosticism is my conclusion. Atheism is my opinion. Humanitarianism is my motivation."

He has modified it more than once.

Evolve
23-07-2013, 02:16 PM
(23-07-2013 01:25 PM)Rahn127 Wrote:  Agnostics are Atheists. They just don't like to take a stance and say what side of the fence they are on. Saying publicly they don't know is a softer stance and not as scary to the believers.

I never tell anyone I'm an atheist because the common definition is flawed. (Most people apply the title, and I don't argue it because it's typically tangent to the discussion.) I don't deny the existence of god, so I'm not an atheist by the common definition. Most people don't acknowledge or understand the difference between "I don't believe" and "I deny the existence of" something, and it's one of the first concepts that I have to explain whenever I get into a religious discussion. The problem is that explaining the difference is much like the "all snicks are snucks but not all snucks are snicks" questions on IQ tests. Living in the South doesn't help.

I also don't like identifying as an agnostic because it doesn't fit the discussion. Commonly, agnosticism basically means "ignorant of", but I'm not very ignorant about religion, theology, gods, how people think or science or anything related to the discussion, so I don't see how this word fits my position, either. (This also carries similar baggage as why atheism is inappropriate.)

I like Harris' breakdown of atheism - it's a reaction to a claim, and we don't have names for people who don't believe in an infinite number of other claims, so why do we have one for people who lack belief in god?

“One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid,
and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision.”

- Bertrand Russel
23-07-2013, 02:18 PM
(23-07-2013 11:52 AM)cjlr Wrote:  
(23-07-2013 11:42 AM)Reltzik Wrote:  MATH POWERS ACTIVATE!

Actually, 6.9999.... with infinite repetition of the 9 is exactly the same number as 7.

MATH MAN AWAY!

Weeeeell... - the one is a natural number, and the other is a converging infinite series. They're not so much equal as equivalent.

No, they're equal.

1. x = 0.999...
  2. 10x = 9.999...
  3. Subtract equation 1 from equation 2
  4. 9x = 9
  5. x = 1
  6. 1 = 0.999... QED

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
23-07-2013, 02:42 PM
Agnosticism is the position that the existence of a god is unknown and/or unknowable.

Atheism is the lack of belief in the existence of gods.

The former concerns KNOWLEDGE, the latter concerns BELIEF.

It is my contention that agnosticism can not stand alone as a position, belief or lack of belief has to accompany it.

Belief is the psychological state in which one holds a premise or proposition to be true. Either one holds the premise that a god exists to be true, or they don't. It is a binary mental state. There is no middle ground. If you currently hold the premise that a god exists to be true, you are a theist. If you don't, you are an atheist.

And to those who claim that agnostics are atheists, tell that to agnostic theists.
[+] 2 users Like Simon Moon's post
23-07-2013, 08:13 PM (This post was last modified: 23-07-2013 08:18 PM by GirlyMan.)
The promise of a postmortem preservation of identity is complete and utter untenable bullshit with no plausible mechanism of action. And I just leave it at that 'cause there's really no point in further discussion or consideration after that if that's what they're trying to sell me. Call it what you will. Personally I go with areligious when pressed.

Breathing - it's more art than science.
23-07-2013, 08:25 PM
Why, yes - yes I am. Thank you for asking.Smile

23-07-2013, 08:32 PM
I'm an atheist and an anti-theist.

I'm also an aquarius and an alto.

"People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use." Soren Kierkegaard
23-07-2013, 08:46 PM
(23-07-2013 08:32 PM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  I'm an atheist and an anti-theist.

So you really should be called A^4, or A-to-the-4th. Don't tell A2 you're (A2)^2.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein Certified Ancient Astronaut Theorist
Political skeptic .. if there is a bad reason something bad might have happened, you can bet your ass, that's why it happened.
[+] 3 users Like Bucky Ball's post
23-07-2013, 09:16 PM
(23-07-2013 08:46 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(23-07-2013 08:32 PM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  I'm an atheist and an anti-theist.

So you really should be called A^4, or A-to-the-4th. Don't tell A2 you're (A2)^2.

There's also an alto sex joke in there somewhere, but I'm not going there.No

[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post