Agnostic-atheist
Agnostic-atheist AND anti-theist
Agnostic AND anti-theist
Agnostic
Agnostic-theist
Theist
Other
[Show Results]

Are you really an atheist? - Poll now added!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-07-2013, 10:13 PM
RE: Are you really an atheist?
I call myself a polyatheist as there are many gods I do not believe in.

However, I've yet to have any believer in whatever holy horseshit they profess provide actual evidence that his/her god exists. Therefore, pending submission of such evidence, I am an atheist. I am, unlike them, willing to reevaluate my position should any of them produce tangible evidence.

I am not holding my breath waiting for that to happen.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Minimalist's post
23-07-2013, 10:35 PM
I'm an atheist regarding any sort of personal, intervening god.

I'm agnostic regarding the possibility of some advanced alien being "god".

I'm slightly agnostic regarding a non-intervening, non-personal god who may have been the "first cause"- kind of like the god of Newton. The current astrophysics makes this extremely unlikely and/or unnecessary, though.
23-07-2013, 10:38 PM
I hate to divulge from the question, but what do you mean by advanced alien being/god? Sorry I have to ask.

I don't have Attention Deficit Disorder. Your disorderly world has a deficit of things worth paying attention to. -Tj
23-07-2013, 11:05 PM
(23-07-2013 10:38 PM)TheCynicalOptimist Wrote:  I hate to divulge from the question, but what do you mean by advanced alien being/god? Sorry I have to ask.
I mean some advanced - but not supernatural, life form that has learned to control matter to the point of creating life, and building environments for it to live in.

Another scenario connected to this is "Simulated Reality".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simulated_reality
24-07-2013, 02:28 AM
(23-07-2013 10:21 AM)6.9 Agnostic Wrote:  This is perhaps a pedantic question, but are you really an atheist?

I suppose it may depend on what you consider atheism, in the Wikipedia article (a brilliant infallible source [sarcasm]), the first 2 sentences are:-

Atheism is, in a broad sense, the rejection of belief in the existence of deities.[1][2] In a narrower sense, atheism is specifically the position that there are no deities.[3][4][5]

So, according to Wikipedia, in a broad sense, I am an atheist, but in a narrower sense, I am not.

Personally, I consider myself to be agnostic, and an anti-theist. I don't think there's anything wrong with being agnostic, even though this is the thinking atheist website!

I am not trying to argue in favour of Pascal's Wager, I prefer the Atheist's Wager, but even the Atheist's Wager possibilities depend on whether or not a benevolent god exists. But I will add, a benevolent god almost certainly does not exist.

Richard Dawkins describes himself as Agnostic, also, Neil deGrasse Tyson has said that the best description of his views about the existence of God was agnosticism.

So, do you really consider yourself to be an atheist? Perhaps an agnostic-atheist?
Agnostic-atheist is another term I suppose I could label myself with.

Agnostic atheist: Don't believe in god, but I acknowledge that I cannot disprove it.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
24-07-2013, 02:38 AM
Yes I'm an atheist. No I'm not some form of agnostic or agnostic atheist or anti theistical agnostical testical atheistical deist.
Why? Because I'm not a fucking douche bag that's why.

Gravity is considered a 'theory'. This is because we cannot be 100%.
However, if I drop apple the chances of it floating away like a fucking butterfly are to say the least, slim.

I am an atheist for the same reason I subscribe to gravity. Because while we cannot be 100%, sometimes the chances are so slim that to point out that we cannot be 100% is fucking retarded.

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
[+] 3 users Like earmuffs's post
24-07-2013, 02:52 AM
(24-07-2013 02:38 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  Yes I'm an atheist. No I'm not some form of agnostic or agnostic atheist or anti theistical agnostical testical atheistical deist.
Why? Because I'm not a fucking douche bag that's why.

Gravity is considered a 'theory'. This is because we cannot be 100%.
However, if I drop apple the chances of it floating away like a fucking butterfly are to say the least, slim.

I am an atheist for the same reason I subscribe to gravity. Because while we cannot be 100%, sometimes the chances are so slim that to point out that we cannot be 100% is fucking retarded.

You don't appear to understand the difference between scientific law and scientific theory, and there is both a law of gravity, and a theory of gravity.

If I'm not mistaken, the law of gravity will tell us what will happen if you drop an apple, the theory of gravity is about why.
24-07-2013, 05:31 AM
RE: Are you really an atheist? - Poll now added!
(24-07-2013 02:52 AM)6.9 Agnostic Wrote:  
(24-07-2013 02:38 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  Gravity is considered a 'theory'. This is because we cannot be 100%.

If I'm not mistaken, the law of gravity will tell us what will happen if you drop an apple, the theory of gravity is about why.

You're mistaken. Tongue

"Law" is an equation. "Theory" is an explanation as to how that equation is derived.

And!

That poll sux. Tongue

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like houseofcantor's post
24-07-2013, 08:17 AM
(24-07-2013 02:52 AM)6.9 Agnostic Wrote:  the law of gravity will tell us what will happen if you drop an apple, the theory of gravity is about why.

There are laws of nature which we *don't know*.

There are theories which tell us our best guess as to what the laws are.

AFAIK no one to date has any idea *why*.
24-07-2013, 08:30 AM
I consider myself an atheist, someone who rejects the belief in gods. I can see why people created the ideas of gods, and it is completely sensible as to how religion became popular and influencial. There is, however, no reason independent of culture to imagine that any of the deities ever invented were real. The question of the existence of an absolute intelligence is just absurd. It’s sad that we’ve given this conversation such weight – as if it were really important. I believed in the Christian god and then the Jewish god until I was just over 30 years old, and I can confidently say now that the entire idea is absurd and meaningless. I’m an atheist of the type that rejects belief in all gods and is convinced that the concept of deities is self-contradictory and foolish – and if there are beings with greater intelligence than our own in the universe, calling them gods and inferring upon them immortality is uncalled-for.