Agnostic-atheist
Agnostic-atheist AND anti-theist
Agnostic AND anti-theist
Agnostic
Agnostic-theist
Theist
Other
[Show Results]

Are you really an atheist? - Poll now added!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-07-2013, 10:11 AM
RE: Are you really an atheist? - Poll now added!
(26-07-2013 09:59 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(26-07-2013 09:54 AM)Impulse Wrote:  I'm an atheist 100%. I believe there are no gods anywhere. More powerful aliens? Maybe. Gods? No.

You do understand by claiming that; you are claiming a form of omniscience, which is impossible.

That's why I believe 1s or 7s cannot happen. That's just me, though.

1's are not common but they aren't exactly rare either. I know more people that are hard up 1's than 3 or 4's. Once you start questioning the existence of God it is kind of a slippery slope. 7's are rather rare as most atheists will grant the clockmaker non-interventionist god as an outside possibility (not really needed anymore but it could maybe have happened) but thats more of a COA thing than an actual belief for all intents and purposes anyone that is a 6 or above is pretty much a 7.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
26-07-2013, 10:24 AM
(23-07-2013 10:21 AM)6.9 Agnostic Wrote:  This is perhaps a pedantic question, but are you really an atheist?

I suppose it may depend on what you consider atheism, in the Wikipedia article (a brilliant infallible source [sarcasm]), the first 2 sentences are:-

Atheism is, in a broad sense, the rejection of belief in the existence of deities.[1][2] In a narrower sense, atheism is specifically the position that there are no deities.[3][4][5]

So, according to Wikipedia, in a broad sense, I am an atheist, but in a narrower sense, I am not.

Personally, I consider myself to be agnostic, and an anti-theist. I don't think there's anything wrong with being agnostic, even though this is the thinking atheist website!

I am not trying to argue in favour of Pascal's Wager, I prefer the Atheist's Wager, but even the Atheist's Wager possibilities depend on whether or not a benevolent god exists. But I will add, a benevolent god almost certainly does not exist.

Richard Dawkins describes himself as Agnostic, also, Neil deGrasse Tyson has said that the best description of his views about the existence of God was agnosticism.

So, do you really consider yourself to be an atheist? Perhaps an agnostic-atheist?
Agnostic-atheist is another term I suppose I could label myself with.

Which definition of "Theist" do you use?
26-07-2013, 10:31 AM
I'm not on the list given. It's sort of, I'm mostly atheist with a couple drops of agnostic mixed in. It might make zero sense to anyone else but it makes sense to me. I don't know if there is something that kick started time. I just don't know. But one thing I do know is that there is no god in the sky saving some dog in a hurricane but killing thousands in an earthquake. I'll stop rambling. Carry on folks! //*L*\\

Shakespeare Insult 13 – Henry IV Part 1
“That trunk of humours, that bolting-hutch of beastliness, that swollen parcel of dropsies, that huge bombard of sack, that stuffed cloak-bag of guts, that reverend vice, that grey Iniquity, that father ruffian, that vanity in years?”
26-07-2013, 10:40 AM
(26-07-2013 10:04 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(26-07-2013 09:59 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  You do understand by claiming that; you are claiming a form of omniscience, which is impossible.

I've met 1s.

You're making the "No true 1s or 7s" argument?

It's not an argument. It's simple rationale. No one can absolutely know anything. You can be really, really sure... but knowing = omniscience which is impossible.*

*not total omniscience, but on the subject you claim to know

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
[+] 2 users Like kingschosen's post
26-07-2013, 10:41 AM
(26-07-2013 10:24 AM)Gaest Wrote:  
(23-07-2013 10:21 AM)6.9 Agnostic Wrote:  This is perhaps a pedantic question, but are you really an atheist?

I suppose it may depend on what you consider atheism, in the Wikipedia article (a brilliant infallible source [sarcasm]), the first 2 sentences are:-

Atheism is, in a broad sense, the rejection of belief in the existence of deities.[1][2] In a narrower sense, atheism is specifically the position that there are no deities.[3][4][5]

So, according to Wikipedia, in a broad sense, I am an atheist, but in a narrower sense, I am not.

Personally, I consider myself to be agnostic, and an anti-theist. I don't think there's anything wrong with being agnostic, even though this is the thinking atheist website!

I am not trying to argue in favour of Pascal's Wager, I prefer the Atheist's Wager, but even the Atheist's Wager possibilities depend on whether or not a benevolent god exists. But I will add, a benevolent god almost certainly does not exist.

Richard Dawkins describes himself as Agnostic, also, Neil deGrasse Tyson has said that the best description of his views about the existence of God was agnosticism.

So, do you really consider yourself to be an atheist? Perhaps an agnostic-atheist?
Agnostic-atheist is another term I suppose I could label myself with.

Which definition of "Theist" do you use?

Agnostic Theist

A 1.6 on the scale.

26-07-2013, 10:44 AM
(26-07-2013 10:40 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(26-07-2013 10:04 AM)Chas Wrote:  I've met 1s.

You're making the "No true 1s or 7s" argument?

It's not an argument. It's simple rationale. No one can absolutely know anything. You can be really, really sure... but knowing = omniscience which is impossible.*

Sorry - I was trying to riff "No True Scotsman".

But I really have met people who really believe they really have proof of God and really contend they are the equivalent of 1s.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
26-07-2013, 10:49 AM
(26-07-2013 09:54 AM)Impulse Wrote:  I'm an atheist 100%. I believe there are no gods anywhere. More powerful aliens? Maybe. Gods? No.

You do understand by claiming that; you are claiming a form of omniscience, which is impossible.

Ridiculous. It's not blackbody radiation, it's a scale of relative philosophy. Tongue

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
26-07-2013, 10:51 AM
(26-07-2013 10:44 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(26-07-2013 10:40 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  It's not an argument. It's simple rationale. No one can absolutely know anything. You can be really, really sure... but knowing = omniscience which is impossible.*

Sorry - I was trying to riff "No True Scotsman".

But I really have met people who really believe they really have proof of God and really contend they are the equivalent of 1s.

lol your dry humor is a lot easier to detect over the phone...

26-07-2013, 11:08 AM
(26-07-2013 10:51 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(26-07-2013 10:44 AM)Chas Wrote:  Sorry - I was trying to riff "No True Scotsman".

lol your dry humor is a lot easier to detect over the phone...

I totally got what he was saying. I don't think he meant that people DEFINITELY know, but rather, people who think they do, hence their position or why they would consider themselves a 1 or a 7... hence the no true scottsman.

Official ordained minister of the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster. Please pm me with prayer requests to his noodly goodness. Remember, he boiled for your sins and loves you. Carbo Diem! RAmen.
26-07-2013, 01:39 PM

No, what I stated is my belief, not knowledge. I agree this likely cannot be known as actual fact. Yet I believe so strongly that it may as well be because I also believe that, if there was a god, we would know it. That god would have to be the perfect, omnipotent, omniscient, omnibenevolent kind existing outside space and time - anything less would simply be another species in the universe.

"Religion has caused more misery to all of mankind in every stage of human history than any other single idea." --Madalyn Murray O'Hair