Agnostic-atheist
Agnostic-atheist AND anti-theist
Agnostic AND anti-theist
Agnostic
Agnostic-theist
Theist
Other
[Show Results]

Are you really an atheist? - Poll now added!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-07-2013, 02:44 PM
RE: Are you really an atheist? - Poll now added!
I know everything that I know, however limited the amount that may be.
The objects in question match the definitions that we all have an agreed compliance with.

I know I am sitting on this chair.
I know I am typing on this laptop.
I know I am breathing the air in this room.

The list of the things I know are fairly large, but the list of things I don't know is much much larger.

If I say I know that their isn't a galaxy made of marshmallow, I am not ascribing this knowledge to omniscience.
I'm ascribing it to the idea that a galaxy made up of a modern confection or from a medicinal confection in ancient Egypt (marshmallow plant), is impossible given the knowledge we have about galaxies and their stellar makeup.

I could say the same thing about the existence of a god. A god is as likely to exist as a galaxy made from marshmallow.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-07-2013, 02:24 AM
(23-07-2013 11:42 AM)Reltzik Wrote:  
(23-07-2013 11:34 AM)Raptor Jesus Wrote:  Basically your question is the same as the point of your name, 6.9 Agnostic. I myself am technically a 6.9999....(9s repeating at infinite) agnostic.

That is to say I hate the term atheist, because it’s a non-think and should not be a word. But for practical intense and purposes and socially I am an atheist. I don’t not believe in God, I disbelieve in God. But for the sake of intellectual honesty I have to admit you cannot prove, or know a negative. Technically we can’t “know” anything, though I don’t lose sleep over that. So as such, again for the sake of intellectual honesty I have to say I’m a agnostic technically, but socially (for all intense and purposes) an atheist.

After all, it’s only mostly us that would bother to make the distinctions of a 6.99999…agnostic. Non-atheist and non-agnostics, at best, only understand a) you don’t believe in God, and b) you are not sure if God exist.

MATH POWERS ACTIVATE!

Actually, 6.9999.... with infinite repetition of the 9 is exactly the same number as 7.

MATH MAN AWAY!

EDIT: I'm an ignostic who trends atheist for most conceptions of God etc. Where does that fall on the Dawkins scale?

Ditto for me. I voted Other. I believe in Alexander the Great Big Grin

27-07-2013, 01:16 PM
I find the word agnostic to be a useless term. It is simply the acknowledgement that I am an atheist with a limited access to knowledge, if I was an atheist with unlimited knowledge, I would be an omniscient atheist a er.. god that er... doesn't believe in its own existence. I would be (and not be) ATHIESTIMUS!Evil_monster

I think agnostic is a term invented by believers so they can say "well you don't know everything so you must concede that insert god description here could exist". So they can tell themselves that they won the argument.

So like the yodeling mountain climber on the "Price is Right" lets see if we can get up to 7 without falling off the cliff.

Do I have knowledge that the following gods exist...
the abrahamic god...no
greek gods...no
nordic gods...no
And I can continue through all the gods I have ever heard proposed and answer the same way.

Are there gods that I haven't heard of? Yes. Do I know they exist?No.

Can I think of new descriptions of gods that might be possible?Yes. Do I know they exist?No.

I have no knowledge of the existence of any god(s) so as far as I'm concerned they don't exist, as soon as I gain knowledge of their existence, I'll go straight from 7 to 1. But I still won't worship the bastard(s). I have a limited existence, a limited capacity to store information, but a great curiosity to learn (about real things) , and I'm not going to waste my time worrying about all the infinite possiblilities of "super" natural crap that can pop into anybody's head all the time.

Now can I push myself to 7.1 without falling off the cliff?Unsure

I haven't heard of any gods that are omnipotent or omniscient.Yahweh sure isn't, or the greek gods, they are described as powerful yes, but all have some type of limitation, vice or weakness.

Maybe I'm dumber then your average atheist but I am not aware that being omnipotent or omniscient is even a possibility, so before you try to tell me that an omnipotent or omniscient god might exist, show to me that an omnipotent or omniscient god even CAN exist![/u]

"I am a knowledgeable man, I have knowledge. If I knew how I knew what I know, I would know half as much, because it would be clogged up with where I knew it from...that is why I cannot always cite my sources. - David Mitchell
"If we're going to be damned, let's be damned for what we really are." - Captain Picard
[+] 2 users Like unsapien's post
27-07-2013, 01:22 PM
Wow, surprised, we have a huge amount of agnostic-atheists on here.

Official ordained minister of the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster. Please pm me with prayer requests to his noodly goodness. Remember, he boiled for your sins and loves you. Carbo Diem! RAmen.
27-07-2013, 01:29 PM
It just occurred to me, KC might be described as "Theist and anti-Theist" Big Grin

[+] 1 user Likes Dark Light's post
27-07-2013, 01:35 PM
(27-07-2013 01:29 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  It just occurred to me, KC might be described as "Theist and anti-Theist" Big Grin

IT'S A NEW SPECIES! EMPIRICAL EVIDENCE THAT EVOLUTION IS TRUE! Although... if he's a new species I guess he can't breed with other humans. Consider

Official ordained minister of the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster. Please pm me with prayer requests to his noodly goodness. Remember, he boiled for your sins and loves you. Carbo Diem! RAmen.
[+] 1 user Likes Logisch's post
27-07-2013, 01:50 PM
What happened to me. I wanted to vote atheist and anti-theist but this was not a choice.

God/s does/do not only not exist but the fact that some believe them even possible poisons the human mind.
28-07-2013, 10:16 AM
(27-07-2013 01:29 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  It just occurred to me, KC might be described as "Theist and anti-Theist" Big Grin

Seriously? Seriously?!? Oh, that little smiley face means you're not serious. Jokingly? Jokingly?!?

Not agreeing with your "tribe" doesn't make you anti-tribe. I disagree with fellow atheists on a regular basis when they show irrationality, but that hardly makes me anti-atheist. Because KC is a reasonable Christian, he's just our the mirror reflection of reasonable atheists on the scale. Nothing to see here.

My girlfriend is mad at me. Perhaps I shouldn't have tried cooking a stick in her non-stick pan.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
28-07-2013, 12:53 PM
I voted agnostic atheist with a strong antitheistic bend for following reasons;

Agnostic: I cannot say if a deity exists or not (the christian omni god clearly does not ).

Atheist: I don't believe in crap.

Antitheist: History has taught us that god believers shed blood for no good reason and they still do.
28-07-2013, 03:28 PM
(28-07-2013 10:16 AM)Starcrash Wrote:  

Seriously? Seriously?!? Oh, that little smiley face means you're not serious. Jokingly? Jokingly?!?

Not agreeing with your "tribe" doesn't make you anti-tribe. I disagree with fellow atheists on a regular basis when they show irrationality, but that hardly makes me anti-atheist. Because KC is a reasonable Christian, he's just our the mirror reflection of reasonable atheists on the scale. Nothing to see here.

Of course it was a joke, silly.