Agnostic-atheist
Agnostic-atheist AND anti-theist
Agnostic AND anti-theist
Agnostic
Agnostic-theist
Theist
Other
[Show Results]

Are you really an atheist? - Poll now added!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-09-2013, 12:40 AM
RE: Are you really an atheist? - Poll now added!
(23-07-2013 08:13 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  The promise of a postmortem preservation of identity is complete and utter untenable bullshit with no plausible mechanism of action. And I just leave it at that 'cause there's really no point in further discussion or consideration after that if that's what they're trying to sell me. Call it what you will. Personally I go with areligious when pressed.

What you been feeding on G.M.?

As a Saspian (secular and spiritual ponderer) I choose to believe in a higher cosmic good. While it is very difficult to intuit such, I cannot prove the non existence of such either.
'Higher goods' could transcend our linear/logical/scientific method, and of course they may not exist at all.
To choose such belief, distinct from "know", I can ponder where I like, free from absolutes, whether spiritual or secular.
This approach, not unlike that of Pascal, and latter day process theology, can be very refreshing.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-09-2013, 12:46 AM
(09-09-2013 12:40 AM)Mr Woof Wrote:  This approach, not unlike that of Pascal, and latter day process theology, can be very refreshing.

I'm sorry, but any time anybody brings up Pascal as anything resembling a positive endorsement, I have to pull this video out. His 'wager' and philosophical position is far more flawed and untenable than many care to realize.

[Image: GrumpyCat_01.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes EvolutionKills's post
09-09-2013, 01:17 AM
(09-09-2013 12:46 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(09-09-2013 12:40 AM)Mr Woof Wrote:  This approach, not unlike that of Pascal, and latter day process theology, can be very refreshing.

I'm sorry, but any time anybody brings up Pascal as anything resembling a positive endorsement, I have to pull this video out. His 'wager' and philosophical position is far more flawed and untenable than many care to realize.

Thanks, quite good!Smile
[+] 1 user Likes Mr Woof's post
09-09-2013, 01:21 AM
(09-09-2013 01:17 AM)Mr Woof Wrote:  Thanks, quite good!Smile

Glad you liked it. I didn't mean for it to seem like I was trying to jump down your throat, I just really don't like Pascal's Wager...

[Image: GrumpyCat_01.gif]
10-09-2013, 05:47 AM
Re: RE: Are you really an atheist? - Poll now added!
(27-07-2013 01:22 PM)Logisch Wrote:  Wow, surprised, we have a huge amount of agnostic-atheists on here.

I'm curious why this was surprising for you?

I expect it as much based on some polls before, but I theorize its prominent in the internet (skeptical, rational, "new") atheists. That's what I think makes up a lot of those drawn in by he named the thinking atheist, or just this community.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson