Are you smarter than an atheist?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-04-2015, 04:20 PM (This post was last modified: 17-04-2015 04:27 PM by GirlyMan.)
Are you smarter than an atheist?
So I took this religious quiz where atheists unsurprisingly score the highest with Jews and Mormons close behind (also unsurprisingly). Protestants and Catholics score either the same or below the average American. Again, not surprising.

When I took it I got 31 out of 32. And I'm like what the fuck with the one I got wrong? Maybe GwoG or Bucky or Mark or someone can enlighten me. I'll put it in a spoiler in case someone hasn't taken it yet.

12. Which of these religious groups traditionally teaches that salvation comes through faith alone?

I answered both Protestants and Catholics and they tell me only Protestants. Well then, what the fuck extra do the Catholics require?

#sigh
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
17-04-2015, 04:28 PM
RE: Are you smarter than an atheist?
(17-04-2015 04:20 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  So I took this religious quiz where atheists unsurprisingly score the highest with Jews and Mormons close behind (also unsurprisingly). Protestants and Catholics score either the same or below the average American. Again, not surprising.

When I took it I got 31 out of 32. And I'm like what the fuck with the one I got wrong? Maybe GwoG or Bucky or Mark or someone can enlighten me. I'll put in a spoiler in case someone hasn't taken it yet.

12. Which of these religious groups traditionally teaches that salvation comes through faith alone?

I answered both Protestants and Catholics and they tell me only Protestants. Well then, what the fuck extra do the Catholics require?

Catholics require faith and works -- i.e., you don't get to Heaven just by believing the right thing(s), you also have to do the right thing(s). This was one of the major points of division between Catholics and Protestants for many years, although they have come to some sort of agreement in recent years (at least the Catholics and Lutherans have).
[+] 3 users Like Grasshopper's post
17-04-2015, 04:28 PM
(17-04-2015 04:20 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  So I took this religious quiz where atheists unsurprisingly score the highest with Jews and Mormons close behind (also unsurprisingly). Protestants and Catholics score either the same or below the average American. Again, not surprising.

When I took it I got 31 out of 32. And I'm like what the fuck with the one I got wrong? Maybe GwoG or Bucky or Mark or someone can enlighten me. I'll put in a spoiler in case someone hasn't taken it yet.

You need some of dem dere "works".
https://www.americancatholic.org/messeng...ature2.asp

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 3 users Like Bucky Ball's post
17-04-2015, 04:31 PM
I got 28...there was one where I should have gone with my first instinct and I would have gotten that one correct.

I feel pretty good about the score since I am nowhere near a religious scholar.

There were a lot of answers I knew because of things I have read here on the forum.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
[+] 2 users Like Anjele's post
17-04-2015, 04:35 PM
Hmm, I don't pretend to know a whole lot about religion, but I still got 26/32.

I missed the following questions:
Jewish Sabbath
Jesus birthplace
Obedient to god but suffered (although I thought two of the answers were appropriate, I just chose the wrong one.)
Religion of Dalai Lama
Religion of Maimonides
preacher that participated in the "First Great Awakening"?

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
17-04-2015, 04:43 PM (This post was last modified: 17-04-2015 05:21 PM by GirlyMan.)
(17-04-2015 04:28 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  You need some of dem dere "works".
https://www.americancatholic.org/messeng...ature2.asp

So let me guess this straight. Some 15 years ago the Catholics changed what appears to me to be a fundamental doctrine of their faith? Who knew the Word Of God was so amendable. Did 2/3 of the Catholic clergy have to agree?

#sigh
17-04-2015, 04:44 PM
Yay. I'm smarter than an atheist.
Oh wait.
Confused

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 7 users Like Bucky Ball's post
17-04-2015, 04:47 PM
(17-04-2015 04:44 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Yay. I'm smarter than an atheist.
Oh wait.
Confused

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
17-04-2015, 04:50 PM
Hmmm... I took the test, but couldn't see any place to find out how I did, or to view the correct answers. When I answered #32 and clicked on "Next", it just brought me back to #1.

Anyway, it was mosly pretty easy, although I just guessed on the "First Great Awakening" question, and on the Supreme Court questions, I know how I would rule, but I'm not sure how the court actually did rule.
17-04-2015, 04:54 PM
I got 27/32.
Not bad for me, I had no religious upbringing, learned most of it here.
[+] 1 user Likes pablo's post