Are you smarter than an atheist?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-04-2015, 06:43 AM
RE: Are you smarter than an atheist?
(19-04-2015 07:34 PM)TarzanSmith Wrote:  Maimonides. Is that the guy referred to as Rabbi Moses?

Yep, that was his first name. He is also known as the RAMBAM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
20-04-2015, 08:58 AM
(18-04-2015 04:58 AM)Chas Wrote:  I can't believe how many of you didn't know who Jonathan Edwards was. Angry

Oh, I know quite well who Jonathan Edwards was ("Sinners in the Hands of an Angry God" is a classic), but I had no idea when the First Great Awakening was. I didn't think it was that long ago. However, I also knew it couldn't be Billy Graham (too recent), so I voted for the other guy (the one I never heard of).
Find all posts by this user
20-04-2015, 09:17 AM
I've got 28/32 and I dont think I'm particulary knowledgeable about religion. I would say that questions were easy maybe even to easy.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
20-04-2015, 09:28 AM
(20-04-2015 09:17 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  I've got 28/32 and I dont think I'm particulary knowledgeable about religion. I would say that questions were easy maybe even to easy.

I think that's the point of the quiz. If they are honest that Americans averaged 16 correct, with Catholics even less, then it shows how insulated and ignorant most of them are about something that they claim is incredibly important. It has to be easier to remain a believer if you never learn much about other beliefs or even the history and details of your own religion. Education is a way out.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 3 users Like unfogged's post
20-04-2015, 10:08 AM
(20-04-2015 09:28 AM)unfogged Wrote:  
(20-04-2015 09:17 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  I've got 28/32 and I dont think I'm particulary knowledgeable about religion. I would say that questions were easy maybe even to easy.

I think that's the point of the quiz. If they are honest that Americans averaged 16 correct, with Catholics even less, then it shows how insulated and ignorant most of them are about something that they claim is incredibly important. It has to be easier to remain a believer if you never learn much about other beliefs or even the history and details of your own religion. Education is a way out.

I think you are right. Catholics who do not read their Holy Book and whose faith is rather about tradition and thinking about what people say if they don't go to church aren't uncommon in my country. Yet funnily enough they can't shut up about biblical values of which they now not a thing.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
21-04-2015, 09:40 AM
I've seen this test or very similar exact questions asked for years going around. I remember the first time I took it I got 1 wrong, that was in like 2008 and I didn't know Catholics and their believe in the real blood/body of christ was a thing at the time.

But this one I just got 1 wrong as well. The Maimonides is something I don't recall seeing before and I didn't know what it came from.

I do see a lot of people not know the Johnathan Edwards thing. I know and have seen in observing classrooms in highschools he is generally taught in English classes for people because of the writings of pre-US America that he generated. There isn't much significant writing before Washington Irving so you have him, John Smith, and ah some female poet whose name I forget.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
21-04-2015, 10:31 AM
(21-04-2015 09:40 AM)ClydeLee Wrote:  ... and ah some female poet whose name I forget.

Paula Nancy Millstone Jennings