Are you sure you know what the Bible says?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-11-2012, 10:14 AM
Are you sure you know what the Bible says?
There are a lot of misconceptions about what the Bible really teaches. Some people have even rejected it simply because they didn't understand it. If you want to be sure you know what it teaches this site can help you:

http://www.backtothebible.org/index.php/...Bible.html

You will find daily Bible lessons on the Bible. They are currently doing a series on Proverbs and here is the schedule for this week.

Monday, November 5 Wisdom and Your Spouse

Tuesday, November 6 Wisdom and Your Children

Wednesday, November 7 Wisdom and Your Friends

Thursday, November 8 Wisdom and Your Relatives, Part 1

Friday, November 9 Wisdom and Your Relatives, Part 2

This site alone won't be enough to teach you everything about the Bible but it is a good place to start.

God's invisible attributes, namely, his eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly perceived, ever since the creation of the world, in the things that have been made.
Romans 1:20 ESV

blog
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
05-11-2012, 10:17 AM
RE: Are you sure you know what the Bible says?
I've read it, not impressed at all. I certainly don't need people to tell me how to read it.

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume
Find all posts by this user
[+] 9 users Like KidCharlemagne1962's post
05-11-2012, 10:19 AM
Monday: Genocide 101

Tuesday: Slaves; your rights and responsibilities as a slaveowner

Wednesday: The ins and outs of Rape

Thursday: Burnt Offerings and Human Sacrifice

Friday: Blind Obedience or Death

E 2 = (mc 2)2 + (pc )2
614C → 714N + e + ̅νe
2 K(s) + 2 H2O(l) → 2 KOH(aq) + H2 (g) + 196 kJ/mol
It works, bitches.
[+] 26 users Like Phaedrus's post
05-11-2012, 10:43 AM (This post was last modified: 05-11-2012 12:17 PM by kim.)
(05-11-2012 10:17 AM)KidCharlemagne1962 Wrote:  I've read it, not impressed at all. I certainly don't need people to tell me how to read it.
If a book is really good - and by this I mean well written, informative, relevant, and is in some way moving - no one should need instruction in how it is read.

A great majority of people in these forums have read this and many other religious texts. Theo, what makes you assume that a further and different form of study might be necessary to "understand" a book that many here have already discovered to be an unnecessary element in their lives?

I find it strikingly ironic that anyone holding a written work in such high regard, should lack confidence in it's strength to stand on it's own. Not that I need an answer Theophilus... but uh... where is your faith? Shy

I think in the end, I just feel like I'm a secular person who has a skeptical eye toward any extraordinary claim, carefully examining any extraordinary evidence before jumping to conclusions. ~ Eric ~ My friend ... who figured it out.
[+] 8 users Like kim's post
05-11-2012, 10:57 AM
Theo, don't you realize that a good deal of the members here were former fundies who SCOURED the Bible from end to end and memorized every bit of it? They know more about the Bible than that site could ever hope of teaching them. As for the bit about rejecting it for not understanding it, that implies there is a standard of interpretation. Of course, the extreme ambiguity and contradictory nature of the Bible has led to every Christian holding a different interpretation even within the same sect (and the vast quantity of Christian branches is just a manifestation of the vague and ambiguous nature of the Bible). Hell, the reason why so many of them are atheists now is because they understand the Bible TOO well and took note of the contradictions, atrocities, moral ambiguity, historical unreliability, and variations in the scriptures. Don't argue with them on Biblical knowledge, they will eviscerate you.

[Image: giphy.gif]
[+] 8 users Like Tartarus Sauce's post
05-11-2012, 11:45 AM
SO....a big flood and some dude living in the belly of a "great fish" for 3 days is meant to be interpreted subjectively?

Evolve
[+] 1 user Likes TheBeardedDude's post
05-11-2012, 11:56 AM (This post was last modified: 05-11-2012 12:12 PM by Bucky Ball.)
(05-11-2012 10:19 AM)Phaedrus Wrote:  Monday: Genocide 101

Tuesday: Slaves; your rights and responsibilities as a slaveowner

Wednesday: The ins and outs of Rape

Thursday: Burnt Offerings and Human Sacrifice

Friday: Blind Obedience or Death

For extra credit, there will be a weekend seminar on :
killing your disobedient children, and how to build a rock collection for all the various stonings you'll be wanting to do.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein Certified Ancient Astronaut Theorist
Isaiah 45:7 "I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things" (KJV)

[+] 6 users Like Bucky Ball's post
05-11-2012, 11:59 AM
I think living with "The Word" almost daily, certainly weekly for over 40 years qualifies me to say I'm sure I know what the Bible says. I don't have issues with what the Bible says so much as how it came to be in existence. There just isn't enough archaelogical evidence to support the Old Testament (read as nothing before 1000 BCE...no evidence of any Patriarchs, Exodus, Conquest of Canaan, Judges or early kings). And the New Testament was agreed upon by a politically motivated committee several centuries after the events purportedly took place. Books that didn't meet the political agenda were left out. Those that supported the ideas of the majority made it in.

You've provided some nice links to some lovely devotional readings. For the most part, there's nothing wrong with that. The book of Proverbs has some useful comments that can be inspiring: "It's better to live on the roof of a house than with a nagging wife." Or "Go to the ant, you sluggard, and consider her ways." Or "Like a dog that returns to its vomit Is a fool who repeats his folly." These are all good bits of advice. I can get the same sort of advice from a fortune cookie or a Magic Eightball. Doesn't mean I'll worship either one. Well, fortune cookies are pretty tasty. I could maybe get behind a religion that used them for eucharist.

So, unless you've discovered some magical way to read the Bible that we've never thought of before, it's probably best just to move along. Nothing to see here folks. Drinking Beverage

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
[+] 12 users Like Erxomai's post
05-11-2012, 12:03 PM
Yeah, the Bible was saying things to me, too. I had to get rid of it.

[Image: 10289811_592837817482059_8815379025397103823_n.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 9 users Like houseofcantor's post
05-11-2012, 12:08 PM (This post was last modified: 05-11-2012 12:18 PM by Janus.)
(05-11-2012 10:14 AM)theophilus Wrote:  There are a lot of misconceptions about what the Bible really teaches. Some people have even rejected it simply because they didn't understand it.

There are many more people – millions upon millions – who have rejected it because they DID understand it.

Quote:If you want to be sure you know what it teaches this site can help you: [...]

So you want us to 'learn' to interpret a subjective book of subjective stories even more subjectively?

What are you? My mother?

I prefer "The Happy Hooker" by Xaviera Hollander. It's much more fun.
[+] 4 users Like Janus's post