Are you sure you know what the Bible says?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-12-2012, 10:01 AM
RE: Are you sure you know what the Bible says?
(11-12-2012 06:25 PM)Cardinal Smurf Wrote:  Say, Theophilus. I'm just curious. What kind of yield have you seen by posting in these forums?
The only results I have seen are a lot of people expressing their disbelief in the Bible. However, the purpose of this thread is to get people to go to the BTTB site to learn more about the Bible and I have no way of knowing whether anyone has done this so I actually don't know what effect it has had.

The information in ancient libraries came from real minds of real people. The far more complex information in cells came from the far more intelligent mind of God.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
12-12-2012, 10:14 AM
I think the issue is that there MAY be some places of the bible that could be misunderstood by some people. However, it is the places that are quite understandable which raise questions, concerns, or out right appall. I haven't looked at this site, but may do so [just so I can see what "I am missing"]. However, I was a part of a HUGE "bible believing church" that did many indepth studies on biblical topics. I don't see how this site would be anymore enlightening.
Find all posts by this user
12-12-2012, 10:22 AM (This post was last modified: 12-12-2012 10:36 AM by Tartarus Sauce.)
I already told you in the first page Theo, coming to an understanding of the Bible was the ticket OUT of Christianity for most of the folks here. It had little to do with what they didn't understand and a whole hell of a lot to do with what they did. That didn't come from misinterpreting it or misunderstanding it, that came from not bullshtting themselves into putting a positive spin on such an atrocious, monstrous ideology after acknowledging its truly abhorrent nature.

[Image: giphy.gif]
[+] 7 users Like Tartarus Sauce's post
21-12-2012, 10:42 AM
Join us Christmas Eve & Christmas Day as we step back in time to relive the wonder of Jesus' birth as told through stories from those who witnessed God's greatest gift. A special combination of drama and teaching. And stay with as we bring back the popular series, What Keeps Me from Growing. Woodrow Kroll investigates some common temptations that keep you from a thriving relationship with God and gives practical advice for how to overcome them. Download each day's study & Baker's Dozen verses.

Monday, December 24 Joseph, Mary and the Shepherds: Voices of Christmas

Tuesday, December 25 Anna, Simeon, Mary and Joseph: Voices of Christmas

Wednesday, December 26 Worry: What Keeps Me from Growing

Thursday, December 27 Anger: What Keeps Me from Growing

Friday, December 28 Gossip: What Keeps Me from Growing

The information in ancient libraries came from real minds of real people. The far more complex information in cells came from the far more intelligent mind of God.
21-12-2012, 10:44 AM
(21-12-2012 10:42 AM)theophilus Wrote:  Join us Christmas Eve & Christmas Day as we step back in time to relive the wonder of Jesus' birth as told through stories from those who witnessed God's greatest gift.
There are no writings from witnesses, so what stories are you referring to?

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
21-12-2012, 10:47 AM
(21-12-2012 10:44 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(21-12-2012 10:42 AM)theophilus Wrote:  Join us Christmas Eve & Christmas Day as we step back in time to relive the wonder of Jesus' birth as told through stories from those who witnessed God's greatest gift.
You know...the witnesses...those people who saw it and whose accounts were later imagined by other people who never saw the events or even heard them from the eye witnesses.

Evolve

Smartass
https://www.researchgate.net/profile/James_Beard2
21-12-2012, 10:56 AM
(21-12-2012 10:47 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  
(21-12-2012 10:44 AM)Chas Wrote:  There are no writings from witnesses, so what stories are you referring to?
You know...the witnesses...those people who saw it and whose accounts were later imagined by other people who never saw the events or even heard them from the eye witnesses.

Ah yes... the urban legends of conglomerations of several ongoing myths compiled from oral histories and hearsay several generations after someone remembered a story their ancestors used to tell.

Seems ok, as long as there's a light show and refreshments. Drinking Beverage

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 5 users Like kim's post
21-12-2012, 11:03 AM
What about the Watchtower magazine? It's written by the Jehovah witnesses and contains many stories.

DISCLAIMER: If you find a message from me offensive, inappropriate, or disruptive, please ignore it.
If you don't know how to ignore a message, complain to me and I will be happy to demonstrate.

[Image: tta.php]
[+] 1 user Likes KVron's post
21-12-2012, 08:14 PM
"Join us Christmas Eve & Christmas Day as we step back in time to relive the wonder of Jesus' birth"

Someone get me a bucket, I'm about to vomit
[+] 2 users Like Mark Fulton's post
21-12-2012, 09:41 PM
There is no scholar that thinks the infancy narratives are historical. Obviously they were written to to make it appear as though that some sort of "prophesy" was fulfilled. (they are also historically impossible as presented, which is well known, and Quirinius was never governor when Herod the Great was king). It's also interesting. as apparently even back that far the misunderstanding of prophesy as fortune telling had already arisen. In ancient Hebrew culture, consulting a "seer" or fortune teller was specifically forbidden, in many places. The office of "prophet" was as a "mouthpiece" (or intermediary between the god(s)) to the people of THEIR own day, NOT to telll the future. In fact fortelling the future, or divination is an abomination, and forbidden.
DIvination is practiced by Diviners (Deuteronomy
18:14
)
Divination is practiced by Enchanters (Deuteronomy
18:10; Jeremiah 27:9
)
Divination is practiced by Witches [Wiccans] (Exodus
22:18; Deuteronomy 18:10
)
Divination is practiced by Charmers (Deuteronomy
18:11
)
Divination is practiced by Wizards (Deuteronomy
18:11; 1 Samuel 28:3
)
Divination is practiced by Spiritists - Consulters of familiar
spirits
(Deuteronomy
)
Divination is practiced by Magicians (Genesis
41:8; Daniel 4:7
)
Divination is practiced by Astrologers (Isaiah
47:13; Daniel 4:7
)
Divination is practiced by Sorcerers (Jeremiah
27:9 )
Divination is practiced by Necromancers (Deuteronomy
)
Divination is practiced by Soothsayers (Isaiah
2:6; Daniel 2:27
)
Divination is practiced by False prophets (Jeremiah
14:14; Ezekiel 13:3,6
)

Apparently whoever cooked up the gospels had already enough distance from Hebrew culture, that this essential misunderstanding
was not seen as a problem, nor heard as a cognitive dissonance.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein (That's a JOKE, ya idiot)
"And you quit footing the bill for these nations that are oil rich - we're paying for some of their *squirmishes* that have been going on for centuries" - Sarah Palin
[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post