Are you sure you know what the Bible says?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-11-2012, 12:15 PM
RE: Are you sure you know what the Bible says?
(05-11-2012 12:03 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Yeah, the Bible was saying things to me, too. I had to get rid of it.
Mine doesn't talk. How'd you do that ?
It's one of my best plant stands tho.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
"And you quit footing the bill for these nations that are oil rich - we're paying for some of their *squirmishes* that have been going on for centuries" - Sarah Palin
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
05-11-2012, 12:18 PM
Dear Theophilus, I do worry about you, friend. I pray that your Bible reading should not lead you to this sad end:

There's a story that I used to tell as a minister about a man who, in order to seek God’s will for his life, decided to open up his Bible and read the first verse his eyes fell upon so that he might obey it. So, he prayed for guidance from the Lord and opened his Bible and pointed to a verse which read “Then Judas went out and hanged himself.” Puzzled by the Lord’s directions, but still desperate for the Lord's guidance he flipped to another page, where his eyes fell on a verse that said, “Jesus told him, ‘Go and do likewise.’” Flustered, but chalking it up to coincidence, the man decided to give his method one last chance. Saying a quick prayer, he flipped the pages and inserted his finger between two of them, opened the Bible and there, staring up at him, were these words: “‘What you are about to do, do quickly,’ Jesus told him.”

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 6 users Like Erxomai's post
05-11-2012, 12:28 PM
Eeeh... bit harsh with the mellow there, Erx. It's only Monday... could have waited until after the election to tell him to go hang himself. Dodgy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
05-11-2012, 12:34 PM
(05-11-2012 12:28 PM)kim Wrote:  Eeeh... bit harsh with the mellow there, Erx. It's only Monday... could have waited until after the election to tell him to go hang himself. Dodgy

Why wait?
[+] 1 user Likes Janus's post
05-11-2012, 12:40 PM
(05-11-2012 10:14 AM)theophilus Wrote:  There are a lot of misconceptions about what the Bible really teaches. Some people have even rejected it simply because they didn't understand it. If you want to be sure you know what it teaches this site can help you:

http://www.backtothebible.org/index.php/...Bible.html

You will find daily Bible lessons on the Bible. They are currently doing a series on Proverbs and here is the schedule for this week.

Monday, November 5 Wisdom and Your Spouse

Tuesday, November 6 Wisdom and Your Children

Wednesday, November 7 Wisdom and Your Friends

Thursday, November 8 Wisdom and Your Relatives, Part 1

Friday, November 9 Wisdom and Your Relatives, Part 2

This site alone won't be enough to teach you everything about the Bible but it is a good place to start.
After the loss of the original documents, countless translations, countless branching into countless versions of "the" Bible, no! I absolutely am not sure what "the" Bible says, but I am sure I never will be.

"Religion has caused more misery to all of mankind in every stage of human history than any other single idea." --Madalyn Murray O'Hair
[+] 1 user Likes Impulse's post
05-11-2012, 12:54 PM
(05-11-2012 12:40 PM)Impulse Wrote:  
(05-11-2012 10:14 AM)theophilus Wrote:  There are a lot of misconceptions about what the Bible really teaches. Some people have even rejected it simply because they didn't understand it. If you want to be sure you know what it teaches this site can help you:

You will find daily Bible lessons on the Bible. They are currently doing a series on Proverbs and here is the schedule for this week.

This site alone won't be enough to teach you everything about the Bible but it is a good place to start.
After the loss of the original documents, countless translations, countless branching into countless versions of "the" Bible, no! I absolutely am not sure what "the" Bible says, but I am sure I never will be.

The LEAST an omnipotent god could have done, was give us an original copy.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
"And you quit footing the bill for these nations that are oil rich - we're paying for some of their *squirmishes* that have been going on for centuries" - Sarah Palin
[+] 3 users Like Bucky Ball's post
05-11-2012, 02:11 PM
Quote:I prefer "The Happy Hooker" by Xaviera Hollander. It's much more fun.

I read that when I was 12. She spoke about a guy named Philip who she thought was gay, and I was totally convinced she was speaking about my 9th grade teacher.

I was sure the Christians in our small town would kill him after that, for being gay.

Turns out, he wasn't gay.

How can anyone become an atheist when we are all born with no beliefs in the first place? We are atheists because we were born this way.
05-11-2012, 03:03 PM
(05-11-2012 12:15 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(05-11-2012 12:03 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Yeah, the Bible was saying things to me, too. I had to get rid of it.
Mine doesn't talk. How'd you do that ?
You know, prophet? Bible ain't the only thing talking in the environment that "objective science" qualifies as "shouldn't be." I think I mentioned that dang Gwynnies. Big Grin

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-11-2012, 08:47 PM

Are you high? Proverbs is merely a mixture of many common sense statements, and ridiculous statements.

Nothing more. You'd be much better off with a psychologist.

Member of the Cult of Reason

The atheist is a man who destroys the imaginary things which afflict the human race, and so leads men back to nature, to experience and to reason.
-Baron d'Holbach-
Bitcion:1DNeQMswMdvx4xLPP6qNE7RkeTwXGC7Bzp
[+] 2 users Like fstratzero's post
05-11-2012, 09:24 PM
The best way to understand the Bible is to read it. Cover to cover. That way, you get to understand everything completely within its context.

At the end, I can guarantee that you will be confused and question your faith. You will ask yourself, am I supposed to follow everything commanded or inferred from the passages? Some are stories, others are quotes from God Himself. Do I take all the stories literally? Do I follow all the passages that are clearly stated to be God's words? How do I know which to follow and which can be discarded? What if I'm wrong and I disobey a command for which the punishment is eternal hellfire? What about the contradictions? How do I reconcile them?

At the end, you will be full of questions, and not know how to live. The Bible will have become a source of anxiety. Your only escape will be to either create arbitrary rules about what is a parable and what is a commandment, or to abandon the book altogether.

If something can be destroyed by the truth, it might be worth destroying.

[Image: ZcC2kGl.png]
[+] 2 users Like Elesjei's post