Are you sure you know what the Bible says?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-11-2012, 09:51 AM
RE: Are you sure you know what the Bible says?
(05-11-2012 09:24 PM)Elesjei Wrote:  The best way to understand the Bible is to read it. Cover to cover. That way, you get to understand everything completely within its context.
I agree, and I do that regularly. But there are still things in it that I don't understand so I find it helpful to listen to others who have studied the Bible and understand some of the things that I don't.

God's invisible attributes, namely, his eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly perceived, ever since the creation of the world, in the things that have been made.
Romans 1:20 ESV

blog
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-11-2012, 03:16 PM
(05-11-2012 09:24 PM)Elesjei Wrote:  The best way to understand the Bible is to read it. Cover to cover. That way, you get to understand everything completely within its context.

At the end, I can guarantee that you will be confused and question your faith. You will ask yourself, am I supposed to follow everything commanded or inferred from the passages? Some are stories, others are quotes from God Himself. Do I take all the stories literally? Do I follow all the passages that are clearly stated to be God's words? How do I know which to follow and which can be discarded? What if I'm wrong and I disobey a command for which the punishment is eternal hellfire? What about the contradictions? How do I reconcile them?

At the end, you will be full of questions, and not know how to live. The Bible will have become a source of anxiety. Your only escape will be to either create arbitrary rules about what is a parable and what is a commandment, or to abandon the book altogether.

If you take the book into context you'd come to find it was written by an ancient people for ancient audience, and no longer applies to the modern age.

Member of the Cult of Reason

The atheist is a man who destroys the imaginary things which afflict the human race, and so leads men back to nature, to experience and to reason.
-Baron d'Holbach-
Bitcion:1DNeQMswMdvx4xLPP6qNE7RkeTwXGC7Bzp
Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like fstratzero's post
06-11-2012, 04:28 PM
Wisdom and Your Spouse?
Ew. Proverbs 31 makes me want to vomit.

Here's the rundown:
"Hey, person with a uterus! Did you know you're good for nothing unless you breed often, raise the children without your husband's help, take care of all aspects of feeding the household from seedcorn to supper, handmake all your family's clothing, and bring in a paycheck. Oh, and you're not allowed to sleep when you're tired, because you're also completely responsible for your husband's sexual satisfaction. And you can do all that and still amount to nothing, if your husband isn't respected by the elders. You're only as good as he is."
[+] 6 users Like Seek_Kolinahr's post
06-11-2012, 04:33 PM
(06-11-2012 04:28 PM)Seek_Kolinahr Wrote:  Wisdom and Your Spouse?

Here's the rundown:
"Hey, person with a uterus! Did you know you're good for nothing unless you breed often, raise the children without your husband's help, take care of all aspects of feeding the household from seedcorn to supper, handmake all your family's clothing, and bring in a paycheck. Oh, and you're not allowed to sleep when you're tired, because you're also completely responsible for your husband's sexual satisfaction. And you can do all that and still amount to nothing, if your husband isn't respected by the elders. You're only as good as he is."

Are you trying to tell me all of those years of annual Mother's Day sermons I preached weren't well received by the ladies? Weeping

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
[+] 3 users Like Erxomai's post
06-11-2012, 05:12 PM (This post was last modified: 06-11-2012 05:18 PM by ddrew.)
yeah the bible taught me alot.
I know now that when a group of rapists comes knocking at your door... just toss yer daughter out at em...
Edit: oh oh ... also I know that should I ever own a slave... I can beat the living shit outta him all I want .. just so long as he doesn't actually die. ...
brb for more... time to go sacrifice my fuckin cat. God likes the aroma of it's burning flesh and furr.

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. -- Voltaire
[+] 6 users Like ddrew's post
06-11-2012, 05:34 PM
(06-11-2012 05:12 PM)ddrew Wrote:  yeah the bible taught me alot.
I know now that when a group of rapists comes knocking at your door... just toss yer daughter out at em...
Edit: oh oh ... also I know that should I ever own a slave... I can beat the living shit outta him all I want .. just so long as he doesn't actually die. ...
brb for more... time to go sacrifice my fuckin cat. God likes the aroma of it's burning flesh and furr.
It maketh a pleasing odor unto the Lord. Yes

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
06-11-2012, 05:37 PM
(06-11-2012 04:28 PM)Seek_Kolinahr Wrote:  Wisdom and Your Spouse?

Here's the rundown:
I'm sure they thought it sounded like a good idea at the time.

He's not the Messiah. He's a very naughty boy! -Brian's mum
06-11-2012, 05:41 PM
(06-11-2012 05:34 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(06-11-2012 05:12 PM)ddrew Wrote:  yeah the bible taught me alot.
It maketh a pleasing odor unto the Lord. Yes

God loves the smell of napalm in the morning. Yes

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
06-11-2012, 06:48 PM
I read the bible a couple of times. The first time was out of curiosity and well... so was the second time. As soon as I was done the first time I sat there and went... "what the actual fuck" and had to reread it. I couldn't figure out why fully grown human beings could possibly believe that the things inside of the bible were true.

Then I went on to the new testament thinking it clarified things and let everyone know the first book was just kidding... I had to read that one twice too.

What's wrong with people?

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
[+] 2 users Like lucradis's post
06-11-2012, 07:58 PM
How should I be sure what the bible says when millions of devout and fundamentalist Xtians aren't? If the bible has proven one thing in 1,700 years it is that it means all kinds of different things to all kinds of different people. And if it's proven something else it is that it has continually separated people! To the point that they kill each other over its bullshit contents. Instead of binding them together.

At the end of the day the bible is the worst thing that happened to Xtianity.
[+] 3 users Like Janus's post