Are you sure you know what the Bible says?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-11-2012, 09:10 PM
RE: Are you sure you know what the Bible says?
(06-11-2012 09:51 AM)theophilus Wrote:  
(05-11-2012 09:24 PM)Elesjei Wrote:  The best way to understand the Bible is to read it. Cover to cover. That way, you get to understand everything completely within its context.
I agree, and I do that regularly. But there are still things in it that I don't understand so I find it helpful to listen to others who have studied the Bible and understand some of the things that I don't.

Hey Theo, why don't you ask them who wrote it? You'll get 5 seconds of silence then babble babble babble babble babble. Try it and tell me if I'm wrong.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-11-2012, 09:19 PM
(06-11-2012 09:10 PM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  
(06-11-2012 09:51 AM)theophilus Wrote:  I agree, and I do that regularly. But there are still things in it that I don't understand so I find it helpful to listen to others who have studied the Bible and understand some of the things that I don't.

Hey Theo, why don't you ask them who wrote it? You'll get 5 seconds of silence then babble babble babble babble babble. Try it and tell me if I'm wrong.
Wrong. The ONLY way to understand the Bible is to read ABOUT it.
Try Dr. Richard Elliott Friedman's "Who wrote the Bible".
There is no way, just by reading it, you can even begin to understand ANYTHING about it.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein Certified Ancient Astronaut Theorist and Levitating yogi, CAAT-LY.
Assistant Manager, Vice Detection, Whoville : Jebus no likey that which doth tickle thee unto thy nether regions.

Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
06-11-2012, 10:52 PM
(06-11-2012 09:19 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(06-11-2012 09:10 PM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  Hey Theo, why don't you ask them who wrote it? You'll get 5 seconds of silence then babble babble babble babble babble. Try it and tell me if I'm wrong.
(06-11-2012 09:19 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Wrong. The ONLY way to understand the Bible is to read ABOUT it.
There is no way, just by reading it, you can even begin to understand ANYTHING about it.

Well, some of us have common sense and a critical mind of our own, you know. They/we don't need anybody else's opinion to make up their/our minds! Not all of us are sheep.
06-11-2012, 11:07 PM (This post was last modified: 07-11-2012 12:03 AM by Bucky Ball.)
(06-11-2012 10:52 PM)Janus Wrote:  
(06-11-2012 09:19 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Wrong. The ONLY way to understand the Bible is to read ABOUT it.

Well, some of us have common sense and a critical mind of our own, you know. They/we don't need anybody else's opinion to make up their/our minds! Not all of us are sheep.

Yeah, you're right. It's nonsense on it's face. It's even MORE nonsense, to the power of ten, when ya find out why they stuck it together.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein Certified Ancient Astronaut Theorist and Levitating yogi, CAAT-LY.
Assistant Manager, Vice Detection, Whoville : Jebus no likey that which doth tickle thee unto thy nether regions.

07-11-2012, 03:00 PM
(06-11-2012 09:51 AM)theophilus Wrote:  
(05-11-2012 09:24 PM)Elesjei Wrote:  The best way to understand the Bible is to read it. Cover to cover. That way, you get to understand everything completely within its context.
I agree, and I do that regularly. But there are still things in it that I don't understand so I find it helpful to listen to others who have studied the Bible and understand some of the things that I don't.

Hahaha Bible studies made me hate the bible even more. You think context is important for atheists?

During bible study it was a confirmation bias party. Everything was out of context used to assert everybodies common sense notions.

Member of the Cult of Reason

The atheist is a man who destroys the imaginary things which afflict the human race, and so leads men back to nature, to experience and to reason.
-Baron d'Holbach-
Bitcion:1DNeQMswMdvx4xLPP6qNE7RkeTwXGC7Bzp
07-11-2012, 04:00 PM
(05-11-2012 10:43 AM)kim Wrote:  
(05-11-2012 10:17 AM)KidCharlemagne1962 Wrote:  I've read it, not impressed at all. I certainly don't need people to tell me how to read it.

If a book is really good - and by this I mean well written, informative, relevant, and is in some way moving - no one should need instruction in how it is read.

Urm Consider

Chaucer?

Shakespeare?

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
07-11-2012, 10:52 PM (This post was last modified: 07-11-2012 10:57 PM by Elesjei.)
You don't need to read about the bible, just the book itself. Not even the full book, just a chapter or whatever they call them. Because all it takes is a bit of reading for you to realize it is an ancient book written by ancient ignorant people that makes no sense. No need to do research or bother experts to make that conclusion.

edit: it seems like someone took the first sentence of my post out of context. Smile I'm not encouraging bible study groups - those are always run by cherry-picking pastors and the like. I mean on your own time, read the book, be amazed at the crap within, and be horrified. Be horrifazed.

If something can be destroyed by the truth, it might be worth destroying.

[Image: ZcC2kGl.png]
[+] 1 user Likes Elesjei's post
07-11-2012, 10:59 PM
Bible "study" - is it an interesting phrase?

hinting some sort of .. insinuation that it needs to be determined what the contents mean. Often when I read a book wrote by an author, by the end of the book it is quite clear what things meant.

Yet I still feel that it is quite interesting that many people can read the same book (The Bible) and get different translations, different denominations and different "things" from it. Yep. Study the bible.

Bible Study: "I know what it says because I took from it what sounds best to me!"
[+] 1 user Likes Logisch's post
07-11-2012, 11:21 PM
You drive by preachers Big Grin You need to show some intelligence. Come *on* bad salesman. A good salesman *picks his target*. No one wastes time trying to sell shit to people who're unlikely to buy. You identify the market and make your pitch. If you wanted to sell me Carl Sagan books or something, then this would be a fruitful place to set up your stall, but attempting to sell me the Bible is like attempting to sell me a broken washing machine, that I can *see* has never worked, that has a broken pipe sticking out.

If you want *converts*, you need someone *desperate*. Desperate enough to ignore the "features" of your so-called product. I suggest terminally depressed people, extremely poor people and stupid people. Like it or not, that is your market segment. The *reason* they are terminally depressed and poor is that plenty of other people target them too Big Grin Not just you. So it's hardly even immoral. After all, everyone's doing it.

I guess maybe you have considered these things. Maybe the PR value of getting an atheist to convert, then writing execrable books about it a la Lee Strobel, is worth it even though the success rate must be one in a million.
[+] 2 users Like morondog's post
07-11-2012, 11:39 PM
(05-11-2012 10:19 AM)Phaedrus Wrote:  Monday: Genocide 101

Tuesday: Slaves; your rights and responsibilities as a slaveowner

Wednesday: The ins and outs of Rape

Thursday: Burnt Offerings and Human Sacrifice

Friday: Blind Obedience or Death

Saturday: The Earth is destroyed.

Sunday: God takes the day off to sit on the couch and masturbate to all the havoc he's wrought throughout the week.

Through profound pain comes profound knowledge.
Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto! Ridi del duol, che t'avvelena il cor!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Misanthropik's post