Are you sure you know what the Bible says?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-11-2012, 12:43 PM
RE: Are you sure you know what the Bible says?
(15-11-2012 12:32 PM)theophilus Wrote:  What do you need to know now so you can face the Judgment Seat of Christ in the future? Join our 3-week study as we look at salvation, rewards and the upcoming evaluation of our lives and service.

Week 1 of 3

Monday, November 19 Salvation Cannot Be Earned; Rewards Can

Tuesday, November 20 Rewards Can Be Earned; Salvation Cannot

Wednesday, November 21 Who Are Judged at the Judgment Seat?

Thursday, November 22Who Is Capable of Judging Us?

Friday, November 23 Facing the Great Job Review
If we really wanted to know what the bible said, why would we look into a clearly biased review of it? Why not look at an objective source like... I don't know... the bible?

Yes, I know what the bible says. I read through it several times growing up and still do on occasion today. In fact, I probably know it better than you do because my confirmation bias doesn't screen out passages that don't make sense to me or conflict with my views.

My girlfriend is mad at me. Perhaps I shouldn't have tried cooking a stick in her non-stick pan.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-11-2012, 12:50 PM
OH BOY. BIBLE STUDY! HOW EXCITING!

Here is a story about bible study:

I was talking with one of my Christian friends the other day, and the subject of bible study came up. Immediately, my friend did a facepalm.

Curious about this reaction, I asked him what it was he found flawed with bible study. He responded "People in bible study groups take the bible literally. That's what's wrong."

La fin

[Image: giphy.gif]
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Tartarus Sauce's post
15-11-2012, 01:02 PM
It's obvious. All that we atheists have to do is simply read the Bible the 'correct' way. Then we will all be convinced.

I guess by the 'correct' way, they mean to ignore all the contradictions, historical and archeological inaccuracies, unscientific nonsense, immorality, etc.
[+] 7 users Like Simon Moon's post
15-11-2012, 01:10 PM
(15-11-2012 01:02 PM)Simon Moon Wrote:  It's obvious. All that we atheists have to do is simply read the Bible the 'correct' way. Then we will all be convinced.

I guess by the 'correct' way, they mean to ignore all the contradictions, historical and archeological inaccuracies, unscientific nonsense, immorality, etc.
I just don't get it. Why is everyone out to tell us the so-called good news anyway? We rejected it already. Surely starving people and so forth would be more inclined to listen. Ah, but they don't have an internet connection. So there would have to be some actual getting off butts and going to find 'em, maybe supplying them with a meal before spinning your yarn. Internet piety is so much easier Dodgy
[+] 4 users Like morondog's post
15-11-2012, 04:46 PM (This post was last modified: 15-11-2012 04:58 PM by fstratzero.)
Ezekiel 4:1-15

Essentially the creator of the universe tells a guy to draw the city of Jerusalem on a clay tile. Then pretend to blow it up with action figures, for 390 days, while cooking his meals with turds.

Yup....

http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?sea...ersion=NIV

Member of the Cult of Reason

The atheist is a man who destroys the imaginary things which afflict the human race, and so leads men back to nature, to experience and to reason.
-Baron d'Holbach-
Bitcion:1DNeQMswMdvx4xLPP6qNE7RkeTwXGC7Bzp
[+] 3 users Like fstratzero's post
16-11-2012, 06:03 AM
(15-11-2012 04:46 PM)fstratzero Wrote:  Ezekiel 4:1-15

Essentially the creator of the universe tells a guy to draw the city of Jerusalem on a clay tile. Then pretend to blow it up with action figures, for 390 days, while cooking his meals with turds.

Yup....

http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?sea...ersion=NIV
That's funny. I was somewhat aware of the whole silly symbolic thing that Ezekiel had to do, but I either forgot or didn't notice this specific story. He even says, "No, I can't cook with my crap. That's gross." and God says, "My bad. You can use manure instead." Where is Ezekiel, who isn't moving from that spot for over a year, going to get manure? Is he just setting it up ahead of time in a pile within arms' reach? I'd just take the hit and use my own if I were him.

In Hosea, God tells Hosea to marry a prostitute for the sake of symbolizing Israel "going after whores". God is such an asshole to his prophets.

My girlfriend is mad at me. Perhaps I shouldn't have tried cooking a stick in her non-stick pan.
16-11-2012, 08:32 AM
(15-11-2012 12:32 PM)theophilus Wrote:  What do you need to know ...

Monday, November 19 Salvation Cannot Be Earned; Rewards Can

Tuesday, November 20 Rewards Can Be Earned; Salvation Cannot

FAQs:

Can you please be more specific about how I gain my loyalty points?

Do the rewards come as vouchers? Where can I spend them?

Do I get a free gift when I sign up?

Do I need a different loyalty card for each denomination or have the churches buried their differences so that I can use one card in many churches?

Please advise.

Thanks.
DLJ

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
16-11-2012, 12:08 PM
Hey, this reminds me of every Thursday night, in some creepy cramped basement, where I had yo sit on an uncomfortable chair and compare clothes with other Witnesses. Oh, and study book aftsr book after book directly inspired by the bible. I would remeniss, Theophilus, but I'm going to the pub.

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]
[+] 1 user Likes cheapthrillseaker's post
18-11-2012, 12:22 AM
(16-11-2012 12:08 PM)cheapthrillseaker Wrote:  Hey, this reminds me of every Thursday night, in some creepy cramped basement, where I had yo sit on an uncomfortable chair and compare clothes with other Witnesses. Oh, and study book aftsr book after book directly inspired by the bible. I would remeniss, Theophilus, but I'm going to the pub.

What's the significance of comparing clothes ?
18-11-2012, 01:58 AM
(06-11-2012 09:51 AM)theophilus Wrote:  
(05-11-2012 09:24 PM)Elesjei Wrote:  The best way to understand the Bible is to read it. Cover to cover. That way, you get to understand everything completely within its context.
I agree, and I do that regularly. But there are still things in it that I don't understand so I find it helpful to listen to others who have studied the Bible and understand some of the things that I don't.
Hey Theo, it sounds like these commentators know more about the babble than you.
[+] 1 user Likes Mark Fulton's post