Are you sure you know what the Bible says?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-11-2012, 12:22 PM
RE: Are you sure you know what the Bible says?
(22-11-2012 04:48 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  It's as if the OP has us all on ignore so he can't tell not one person here is interested in this pablum.
Are any of us surprised that reality has no effect on his beliefs?

My girlfriend is mad at me. Perhaps I shouldn't have tried cooking a stick in her non-stick pan.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
28-11-2012, 10:36 AM
(22-11-2012 11:14 PM)morondog Wrote:  He's throwing it out there 'cos he thinks some guy 'looking for answers' - a seeker, in Christian parlance - will find his little message and be led to the LORD through his good offices.
It could happen. The fact that I am a member of this forum shows that not everyone here is an atheist.

God's invisible attributes, namely, his eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly perceived, ever since the creation of the world, in the things that have been made.
Romans 1:20 ESV

blog
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
28-11-2012, 10:57 AM
(28-11-2012 10:36 AM)theophilus Wrote:  
(22-11-2012 11:14 PM)morondog Wrote:  He's throwing it out there 'cos he thinks some guy 'looking for answers' - a seeker, in Christian parlance - will find his little message and be led to the LORD through his good offices.
It could happen. The fact that I am a member of this forum shows that not everyone here is an atheist.

Ah, so it *is* your little game Big Grin Well good luck. Like I said, far more fertile grounds available in the horrible places of the world where people are desperate for someone to tell them everything's gonna be OK and not inclined to examine the argument too closely, especially if it comes associated with a gift of food. You don't even need to go there yourself. Practically every church in SA has sponsored someone to go to some far off place and evangelize the unfortunate natives. That way the whole church can feel nice and virtuous because they're *making a difference* and someone else is doing the hard work. It's funny because we even send missionaries to the UK - a hundred years ago you were sending them the other way Big Grin So you amaBritish can have some of your toxic product back Tongue But on the topic of evangelizing, like I said, you'll save more souls that way. Our souls are all shrivelled and stringy anyway, I doubt your God would want to eat them.

However, by all means carry on Smile You're not as funny as KC, but you *try*, that's what's important.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like morondog's post
28-11-2012, 12:58 PM
I know the bible says if you want to get married, you have to give a 100 foreskins to your father-in-law.

"Then Saul said, “Thus shall you say to David, ‘The king desires no
bride-price except a hundred foreskins of the Philistines, that he may
be avenged of the king’s enemies.’” Now Saul thought to make David fall
by the hand of the Philistines. And when his servants told David these
words, it pleased David well to be the king’s son-in-law. Before the
time had expired, David arose and went, along with his men, and killed
two hundred of the Philistines. And David brought their foreskins, which
were given in full number to the king, that he might become the king’s
son-in-law. And Saul gave him his daughter Michal for a wife."

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
28-11-2012, 03:12 PM
I have yet to hear of an atheist (not the Kirk Cameron version of an atheist, but a real -- I did the research and concluded I was atheist) become a Christian just because someone links to a website.

Wind's in the east, a mist coming in
Like something is brewing and about to begin
Can't put my finger on what lies in store
but I feel what's to happen has happened before...

28-11-2012, 03:20 PM
(28-11-2012 03:12 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  I have yet to hear of an atheist (not the Kirk Cameron version of an atheist, but a real -- I did the research and concluded I was atheist) become a Christian just because someone links to a website.
Maybe not from clicking a link, but the Gideons believe people will turn from non-belief if they read the Bible.
There are all kinds of wacky stories about the bible impacting the lives of people who picked it up. Thing is, there never really are any details that can be fact-checked. We're just supposed to believe that these wonderful testimonies happened somewhere and they'll happen again if you'll just pass out bibles to everyone you meet!

http://www.gideons.org/ChangedLives/Chan...40EA0808C}

Stuff like this:
Years ago, there was a Gideon distributing copies of God’s Word on a
college campus. He placed a copy in the hands of Craig, a young
fraternity student who was on a collision course with God.

But through God’s grace and mercy, that single copy of God’s Word has had an impact far beyond what anyone could imagine.

It was through reading that little, green, college Testament that
Craig came to know Jesus Christ and accept him as his Lord and Savior.
In particular, Craig says it was Ephesians chapter 2 that spoke to his
heart. He came to understand that we don’t earn our way into heaven but
that we are saved through grace.

“For
by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves;
it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.”
–Ephesians 2:8-9 (NKJV)

So what became of that young college student? You may be very surprised. To find out, visit our blog post about Craig and see the video.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
28-11-2012, 03:21 PM
(28-11-2012 03:12 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  I have yet to hear of an atheist (not the Kirk Cameron version of an atheist, but a real -- I did the research and concluded I was atheist) become a Christian just because someone links to a website.
No true Scotsman, really? No An atheist doesn't necessarily have to arrive at his position through logical and critical thinking. Emotional reasons, such as the death of a loved one or the experience of a war can cause a change like this as well. It works both ways.

[Image: IcJnQOT.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Vosur's post
28-11-2012, 04:17 PM
Off topic*
Can someone tell how to memorise bible verses? I need it for my R.E essay. The verse and what book its from. It never sticks in my mind. So frustating!

[Image: boston-terrier-gets-scared.gif]
28-11-2012, 04:26 PM
Are you sure you know what the Bible says?
(22-11-2012 11:14 PM)morondog Wrote:  He's throwing it out there 'cos he thinks some guy 'looking for answers' - a seeker, in Christian parlance - will find his little message and be led to the LORD through his good offices. Ignores our sarky comments 'cos he's long ago concluded that we're going straight to hell.

Hehe, silly me. I read it as "through his good orifices."

He's not the Messiah. He's a very naughty boy! -Brian's mum
[+] 2 users Like Cardinal Smurf's post
28-11-2012, 04:29 PM
(28-11-2012 04:17 PM)tazmin98 Wrote:  Off topic*
Can someone tell how to memorise bible verses? I need it for my R.E essay. The verse and what book its from. It never sticks in my mind. So frustating!
Memorize Romans Chapter 8 in just 2 days!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Lets end the space program....because Bible Shadow Fox 8 93 Yesterday 07:50 PM
Last Post: Reltzik
  A Very Misanthropik Bible Study Misanthropik 37 697 Yesterday 12:46 AM
Last Post: JONES
  The Bible ok'ing abortion???? MrKrispy601 27 498 21-07-2014 01:27 PM
Last Post: Im_Ryan
  Updated on my 3rd read of the bible MrKrispy601 24 337 20-07-2014 01:20 PM
Last Post: Fodder_From_The_Truth
  Hobby Lobby President Has Agenda To Have Mandatory Bible Curriculum In Public Schools WindyCityJazz 20 399 16-07-2014 06:13 AM
Last Post: Hobbitgirl
  Bible Golden Ratio "Code" TheLastEnemy 290 9,799 11-07-2014 10:42 AM
Last Post: Impulse
  Is Christianity really a monotheistic religion according to the Bible? Lunda 8 150 06-07-2014 06:34 PM
Last Post: Free Thought