Are you sure you know what the Bible says?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-11-2012, 04:36 PM
RE: Are you sure you know what the Bible says?
Taz, I used to just read the verse over and over and then write it over and over, then say it over and over.
Break it into bits. So let's say you take a verse like:

Romans 6:4 "We were therefore buried with him through baptism into death in order that, just as Christ was raised from the dead through the glory of the Father, we too may live a new life."

Work on one phrase at a time:
We were therefore buried with him

ask yourself how were we buried with him?
through baptism into death

why?
in order that, just as Christ was raised from the dead

how was he raised?
through the glory of the Father,

and how does that benefit me?
we too may live a new life.

Broken down, each phrase becomes simpler to memorize. Then you just put it all together and keep saying it over and over until you have it stuck in your head.

I used to use flash cards. I'd take a 3"x5" index card and write the reference on one side: Romans 6:4, and on the other side I'd write the verse. Then I'd just flip the card back and forth, saying whatever I could remember and filling in the blanks by turning the card to see what was next.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Erxomai's post
28-11-2012, 06:33 PM
(28-11-2012 04:36 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  Taz, I used to just read the verse over and over and then write it over and over, then say it over and over.
Break it into bits. So let's say you take a verse like:

Romans 6:4 "We were therefore buried with him through baptism into death in order that, just as Christ was raised from the dead through the glory of the Father, we too may live a new life."

Work on one phrase at a time:
We were therefore buried with him

ask yourself how were we buried with him?
through baptism into death

why?
in order that, just as Christ was raised from the dead

how was he raised?
through the glory of the Father,

and how does that benefit me?
we too may live a new life.

Broken down, each phrase becomes simpler to memorize. Then you just put it all together and keep saying it over and over until you have it stuck in your head.

I used to use flash cards. I'd take a 3"x5" index card and write the reference on one side: Romans 6:4, and on the other side I'd write the verse. Then I'd just flip the card back and forth, saying whatever I could remember and filling in the blanks by turning the card to see what was next.
Thanks a lot Erx!

[Image: boston-terrier-gets-scared.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes tazmin98's post
28-11-2012, 07:11 PM
(28-11-2012 03:21 PM)Vosur Wrote:  
(28-11-2012 03:12 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  I have yet to hear of an atheist (not the Kirk Cameron version of an atheist, but a real -- I did the research and concluded I was atheist) become a Christian just because someone links to a website.
No true Scotsman, really? No An atheist doesn't necessarily have to arrive at his position through logical and critical thinking. Emotional reasons, such as the death of a loved one or the experience of a war can cause a change like this as well. It works both ways.

True but the ones who do arrive to atheism based on critical thinking are the ones I'm talking about -- not the ones that just never thought much about god (like Kirk Cameron claimed his atheism was based on).

Even if such a person arrives to their atheism based solely on a tragic event in their lives...they must at some point question it. They will either arrive at conclusions that drive them further away from religion or bring them back to it.

What I'm rather poorly trying to express is that I sense the people who arrive at their atheism though a form of logic can't or rather shouldn't be swayed by clicking a link.
28-11-2012, 07:19 PM
(28-11-2012 03:20 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  
(28-11-2012 03:12 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  I have yet to hear of an atheist (not the Kirk Cameron version of an atheist, but a real -- I did the research and concluded I was atheist) become a Christian just because someone links to a website.
Maybe not from clicking a link, but the Gideons believe people will turn from non-belief if they read the Bible.
There are all kinds of wacky stories about the bible impacting the lives of people who picked it up. Thing is, there never really are any details that can be fact-checked. We're just supposed to believe that these wonderful testimonies happened somewhere and they'll happen again if you'll just pass out bibles to everyone you meet!

http://www.gideons.org/ChangedLives/Chan...40EA0808C}

Stuff like this:
Years ago, there was a Gideon distributing copies of God’s Word on a
college campus. He placed a copy in the hands of Craig, a young
fraternity student who was on a collision course with God.

But through God’s grace and mercy, that single copy of God’s Word has had an impact far beyond what anyone could imagine.

It was through reading that little, green, college Testament that
Craig came to know Jesus Christ and accept him as his Lord and Savior.
In particular, Craig says it was Ephesians chapter 2 that spoke to his
heart. He came to understand that we don’t earn our way into heaven but
that we are saved through grace.

“For
by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves;
it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.”
–Ephesians 2:8-9 (NKJV)

So what became of that young college student? You may be very surprised. .

I had an uncle who worked as a salesman, he stayed in lots of hotels. He used to take them. So not kidding when he died there was something like a thousand of them in his house! I've never been swayed by marketing people. Well not since the Rub-a-dub Dolly. :-)
[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
30-11-2012, 11:30 AM
Week 3 of 3

Monday, December 3 The Rewards: Administrative Service

Tuesday, December 4 The Rewards: Crowns

Wednesday, December 5 The Rewards: Our Great Reward

Thursday, December 6 How to Lose Your Reward

Friday, December 7 Keeping an Eternal Perspective on Life

God's invisible attributes, namely, his eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly perceived, ever since the creation of the world, in the things that have been made.
Romans 1:20 ESV

blog
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
30-11-2012, 12:44 PM
Are we just using this thread as a Calender of sorts since it's other intended purpose was so ridiculous and spammy?

Good, one can never have enough calenders in ones life.

Monday: Shit my pants
Tuesday: Change my pantaloons.
Wednsday: Climb a tree
Thursday: Slap a ho
Friday: Get me pimp shoes shined
Weekend: Do what frankie says and relax

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
30-11-2012, 12:46 PM
(30-11-2012 12:44 PM)lucradis Wrote:  Are we just using this thread as a Calender of sorts since it's other intended purpose was so ridiculous and spammy?

What are your Soups of the Day?

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
30-11-2012, 12:59 PM
(30-11-2012 12:46 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  
(30-11-2012 12:44 PM)lucradis Wrote:  Are we just using this thread as a Calender of sorts since it's other intended purpose was so ridiculous and spammy?

What are your Soups of the Day?
http://www.wavlist.com/tv/027/sf-soup.wav

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
30-11-2012, 01:01 PM
It is a cold day here and a nice soup would be wonderful.

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume
30-11-2012, 01:10 PM
(30-11-2012 01:01 PM)KidCharlemagne1962 Wrote:  It is a cold day here and a nice soup would be wonderful.

I like butternut soup myself. Not sure if you guys get them. They taste like pumpkins but they're a bit richer.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post