Are you the same person online as you are in real life?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-07-2014, 03:22 PM
RE: Are you the same person online as you are in real life?
No... I'm a bible bashing, fundamentalist preacher in real life.

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
29-07-2014, 09:36 PM
(28-07-2014 12:04 PM)Wicked Clown Wrote:  You?

I actually try to make my online posts be as close an approximation of my in person reaction as possible.

I do that a few reasons. But the basic gist when I was new to forums I tried to write with a polished writing style. I would write certain advocacy posts. (At the time I was writing most on Christian boards) But anyway I got flamed a few times, one time I especially remember in particular....

But it was kind of easy to see why. It's really hard to write the perfect post especially when writing some kind of persuasive writing. Sure you can write things that sound good, make good points etc. But if you are going to try to make thee uber sounding case, that will make all your major points and also nullify all obvious objections... well guess what will happen....

1) your going spend a lot of time, writing and rewriting the post, essay etc. And it doesn't help matters that I'm a really lousy editor....

2) Even when you have something that is air tight there can still be slight tonal problems. Basically in making the perfect post you can come of sounding somewhat arrogant, egotistical etc. Which was definitely the reaction I was getting.

So anyway I shortly thereafter evolved a bit of postmodern, stream of consciousness approach that is rougher but generally comes across better. Which is the INTJ dream, better results with a fraction of the work...

I was also somewhat inspired later on, when I ran across the talk, "C the first postmodern computer language". But then again, at the time I spent a lot of time with evangelicals online that were really into Postmodernism....

http://www.perl.com/pub/1999/03/pm.html
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Addai's post
29-07-2014, 10:22 PM
Well, I'm a master of Photoshop...

So as you can probably guess, yes.. I am even more handsome IRL.

But seriously... My hair is thinning, I have no girlfriend, and no career.

Wtf, thanks a lot for making me face reality.
[+] 1 user Likes WeAreTheCosmos's post
29-07-2014, 10:30 PM (This post was last modified: 29-07-2014 10:34 PM by Wicked Clown.)
double post
29-07-2014, 10:32 PM
(29-07-2014 10:22 PM)WeAreTheCosmos Wrote:  Well, I'm a master of Photoshop...

So as you can probably guess, yes.. I am even more handsome IRL.

But seriously... My hair is thinning, I have no girlfriend, and no career.

Wtf, thanks a lot for making me face reality.
we are on the same boat it seems. If you looked at my life you might be grateful for yours.

Rolleyes
29-07-2014, 10:41 PM
Hmmm... I have to hide my cynicism, Atheism, and make up bullshit about praising jesus IRL. I can be myself with my brother and husband, outside of that I don't have anyone that really knows me. I have no reason to censor myself here at TTA, which is refreshing. Maybe I'll make friends with coworkers at my new job... so far it's looking pretty christian, meaning I still need to keep my mouth shut until I'm off probation.

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
[+] 2 users Like Nurse's post
29-07-2014, 10:55 PM
I'm more patient in real life, and more outspoken online. That said, the gap has been steadily narrowing over the past 10 years -- In particular, My online persona is becoming more integrated with its flesh-and-blood host and I've become more assertive in RL.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
29-07-2014, 11:20 PM
(29-07-2014 02:27 PM)Wicked Clown Wrote:  Well, I'm not sure where to mail them to, but yes I can spare those items and bodily fluids if that helps. Tongue

Well do you have a menu so I can see what spells are available and the price? Hopefully it wont cost my soul Gasp

Can't take souls. I'm not a God lol

When I want your opinion I'll read your entrails.
30-07-2014, 12:10 AM
(29-07-2014 10:41 PM)Nurse Wrote:  Hmmm... I have to hide my cynicism, Atheism, and make up bullshit about praising jesus IRL. I can be myself with my brother and husband, outside of that I don't have anyone that really knows me. I have no reason to censor myself here at TTA, which is refreshing. Maybe I'll make friends with coworkers at my new job... so far it's looking pretty christian, meaning I still need to keep my mouth shut until I'm off probation.

the fact that you have a +5 reputation and and 62 likes but only 28 posts speaks volumes about what kind of person you r. Smile

I'm impressed!
30-07-2014, 12:31 AM
I only know how to be me, so yes I am the same online, as I am in real life.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled. ~Mark Twain