Are you willing to forget everything you know about something?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-05-2015, 07:30 AM
RE: Are you willing to forget everything you know about something?
(01-05-2015 07:10 AM)microterf Wrote:  
(30-04-2015 12:44 PM)Szuchow Wrote:  From what I heard about JW they seems to take Bible very seriously, so why this is suprising you? Also theists who don't quite grasp that someone do not believe are not something unusual.

As for learning I would not say that forgetting is necessary. I think it is about making the new bits of inormation fit with the others, or even replacing them if new ones are from more trustworthy source for example.

Forgetting to learn would not work with history I think - learning is like making carefully woven tapestry to which you should skilfully add another embroidery as your knowledge expands.

You're right, it's not necessary for most things. For many things it is, a good example is sports, if you want to learn how to play basketball well then you might have to relearn how to shoot correctly etc. That is to say that you have to learn the forget what you know about basketball and relearn the fundamentals first.

The example I was referring to with his dad is that he cannot seem suspend his beliefs for the sake of analogy. Most people would realize that if I don't believe the bible is the word of god, the argument of fitting every animal on a boat carries no weight in terms of evidence of persuasion for me.

He can not cause he can't imagine that others do not believe; he can't sympathize with someone who think that Bible is just collection of stories cause he fervently believe that it is word of God. In my experience theists who can't comprehend that someone don't believe their fairy tales isn't something unusual.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Szuchow's post
01-05-2015, 08:57 AM
I thought this was going to be a Sye Ten thread. :'(
01-05-2015, 11:26 AM
(30-04-2015 07:49 AM)microterf Wrote:  I had a conversation with my friend and his dad yesterday (both JWs) and something I had been thinking about for awhile was made obvious again. His dad kept referring to the bible as the evidence, for example:

"When the animals went to the ark, god had to tell them to go or they wouldn't have known."

When anyone says that to me about the flood, Noah or whatever...

I always point out if anything were really so powerful that they could control animals that way, why would destroying the earth by anything be needed?

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

01-05-2015, 11:29 AM
Okay, if you're not feeling 100% diplomatic, here's a solution.

Hand him a folded piece of paper that says "Microterf does not believe that everything in the Bible is factual, and that many parts are pure fiction. He does not think that something being said in the Bible is good evidence that it is true. He is open to being persuaded otherwise with good evidence, but remember that he does not regard something as good evidence or fact just because it is in the Bible."

Tell him to keep that piece of paper with him when talking to you about religion.

Every time he makes a faux-pas, ask him to unfold the paper and read it aloud. Maybe add the point that "Yes, that includes Noah's Ark. I don't think that was real. I think that was just a myth."

(01-05-2015 08:57 AM)Dusky Wrote:  I thought this was going to be a Sye Ten thread. :'(

No, that's "Forget everything you know via repeated facedesk head trauma."

"If I ignore the alternatives, the only option is God; I ignore them; therefore God." -- The Syllogism of Fail
[+] 2 users Like Reltzik's post
01-05-2015, 11:31 AM
(01-05-2015 11:26 AM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  When anyone says that to me about the flood, Noah or whatever...

I always point out if anything were really so powerful that they could control animals that way, why would destroying the earth by anything be needed?

I tried that with my JW sister years ago and basically got the "God works in mysterious ways" response.

Makes arguing with them difficult because it always gives an "out".
01-05-2015, 11:44 AM
"God works in mysterious ways" is another way of saying "I ain't gotta fucking clue"....

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
01-05-2015, 11:12 PM
my vocal music instructor often says that the only thing worse than no knowledge is some knowledge because then you have to unlearn what was learnt before so you can relearn things properly.

I'm homophobic in the same way that I'm arachnophobic. I'm not scared of gay people but I'm going to scream if I find one in my bath.

I'm. Also homophobic in the same way I'm arachnophobic. I'm scared of spiders but I'd still fuck'em.
- my friend Marc
[+] 1 user Likes TarzanSmith's post