Poll: Are your cables and wires above ground or buried?
Above ground
Buried underground
No wires! They interfere with my tin foil hat!
[Show Results]

Are your wires buried underground?

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 4 Average
16-07-2017, 06:28 PM
Are your wires buried underground?
Cable/electrical, etc.?

There's a hubbub in my town regarding this topic, so it has me curious about the 'norm' in other places..

"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu."

[Image: parodia-michal-aniol-flying-spaghetti-monster.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
16-07-2017, 06:31 PM
RE: Are your wires buried underground?
FIOS for cable, internet, and landlines are underground...as are electric lines.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
16-07-2017, 06:34 PM
No. This is where all the bodies are.

[Image: giphy.gif]

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderĂ²."
[+] 4 users Like Vera's post
16-07-2017, 06:40 PM
Above ground where we are as the houses are older (built around the mid 40's).
Below ground where the newer subdivisions are.
16-07-2017, 06:55 PM
Half and half. And the electricity, which is above ground, keeps going out due to trees falling or cars crashing into poles... it's a nuisance.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
16-07-2017, 06:59 PM
(16-07-2017 06:40 PM)pablo Wrote:  Above ground where we are as the houses are older (built around the mid 40's).
Below ground where the newer subdivisions are.

Like this. Also, some neighborhoods within walking distance of me in the older parts of town still have walking postal workers. Our postie has a vehicle.
16-07-2017, 07:25 PM
I thought this was some kind of question about wine cellars.

I think it's a mix in my town. All of our house's wires are above ground. My house is 80 years old; there's some new construction down the street that may have some underground wires.
16-07-2017, 07:34 PM (This post was last modified: 16-07-2017 07:37 PM by outtathereligioncloset.)
Depends on the company. All the electricity is on wires on poles. So frequently when there is a strong wind limbs fall and cause wires to fall and the power goes out. Our last cable, phone and internet company ran the wires on poles, then a wire overhead to the upper part of our house for the internet and from a different pole to a box near the bottom of the house for the phone. The current phone and internet company buried theirs from the pole to a new box near the old one at the bottom of the house.

Even worse than the loss of power due to overhead wires rather than burying them is the way that the power company's contractors BUTCHER the trees near the wires. Not only is it ugly, the trees sometimes die and many that are left are so lopsided that they become dangerously off-center-weighted. If a tree grows under the wires they cut a huge swath out of the middle. So you have a long row of trees shaped like the letter Y.

Newer, more affluent areas that are not all that far away bury everything. But we are in a small less affluent town in NC. Recently a neighbor's tree dropped a limb late at night and it not only took out the power here, the broken wire set a fire. A small fire up in the tree near the pole and about every 20-30 seconds the wire on the ground shot out flames until the power company was able to disable the wire.

Where are we going and why am I in this hand basket?
"Life is not all lovely thorns and singing vultures, you know." ~ Morticia Addams
[+] 1 user Likes outtathereligioncloset's post
16-07-2017, 08:16 PM
oh yes, the tree thing makes me so upset. They certainly don't hire arborists, so the trees are butchered Sad

"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu."

[Image: parodia-michal-aniol-flying-spaghetti-monster.jpg]
16-07-2017, 08:45 PM
(16-07-2017 08:16 PM)ShadowProject Wrote:  oh yes, the tree thing makes me so upset. They certainly don't hire arborists, so the trees are butchered Sad

They only care to make sure people get the power they pay for. I'd like to think that people would plant trees with regard to that, and not plant below or next to power lines. Then again, some cities plant trees that are sure to buckle the sidewalks. I lived within the LA City limits for over 20 years, and the streets and sidewalks are a mess. They planted trees that were sure to be a problem. When I moved into my current house (not in LA County), there was a tree in the side yard that had limbs that rested on the neighbor's roof. I immediately removed those limbs. In fact, I ended up removing the entire tree. It was a stupid place to plant it in the first place. He's a nice guy, and didn't want to say anything to the previous owners.
[+] 1 user Likes Fireball's post