Area69 for Adults(and Gwyneth lovers) only

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
07-04-2014, 01:35 PM
RE: Area69 for Adults(and Gwyneth lovers) only
(07-04-2014 01:25 PM)War Horse Wrote:  
(07-04-2014 01:05 PM)itsnotmeitsyou Wrote:  It makes sense in my head.

That, right there is probably why we differ on the perception of anime.

You were more subjected to this technology at an earlier age, and have accepted it much easier.

Christ, I was in my mid 20s when Pacman came out, and of course being stoned I played it for about 6 months before it got old. Way different mind set from todays culture. Blush

Yes

I'm not saying you have to like it or that you should, just explaining the draw of it and why it's not a medium for kids.

It's kinda like Family Guy. It's most definitely an adult themed show and it's not for everyone. The animation aspect of it just allows them to do things that would be prohibitively expensive or flat out impossible for the sake of the story.

Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up.

"Let me give you some advice, bastard: never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you." - Tyrion Lannister
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
07-04-2014, 02:15 PM
(07-04-2014 01:35 PM)itsnotmeitsyou Wrote:  Yes

I'm not saying you have to like it or that you should, just explaining the draw of it and why it's not a medium for kids.

It's kinda like Family Guy. It's most definitely an adult themed show and it's not for everyone. The animation aspect of it just allows them to do things that would be prohibitively expensive or flat out impossible for the sake of the story.

Here's the thing I don't get with the ponies...well, there are a lot of things I don't get with the ponies, but I'll focus on this one.

I understand cartoons intended for adults and not suitable for children at all, cartoons mainly meant for adults but okayish with children, and cartoon intended for children but with adult humor to keep adults interested as well. I have no problem with that. I'm good with that.

It's this pony thing. It has no value for adults, at all.

Because of that thread, I at least watched the Brony documentary, but it didn't make a good argument for the show. I figured that was because it was a shit poor documentary. It really was. I love documentaries, and will watch them on almost any subject, but this one was very poorly made. So I figured this new My Little Pony cartoon might have some adult humor hidden in it somewhere, like Toy Story, or that cartoon Adventure Time, or something. I watched it and there was nothing. Not one thing in it that I, even as an adult who is not unknown to watch cartoons proudly, not even I could find one redeeming reason to watch that show.

It is clearly only a show for little kids, only, and very girly.

I don’t really care what others watch, but I just can’t get what adults, or even teens, could possibly see in it to justify staring at it for hours. Not a big deal. But then, what I get even less is how anyone likes it so much it has to become a pervasive presence on an atheist forum. There’s a thread, and that’s awesome for that thread, but I’ll have to wade through pages of cartoon ponies dancing or sliding on a rainbow, just to get to the part in the tread where the original poster explains the archeological evidence that the Israelites were never in Egypt. What the fuck do cartoon ponies have to do with archeological evidence that the Israelites were never in Egypt? And for that matter, what do creepy faceless monsters with knives in their backs, and blood bleeding from their eyeless eyes have to do with the human evolution of morality, and being good without “God”?

For fuck sake!

[+] 2 users Like Raptor Jesus's post
07-04-2014, 02:22 PM
(07-04-2014 02:15 PM)Raptor Jesus Wrote:  

Here's the thing I don't get with the ponies...well, there are a lot of things I don't get with the ponies, but I'll focus on this one.

I understand cartoons intended for adults and not suitable for children at all, cartoons mainly meant for adults but okayish with children, and cartoon intended for children but with adult humor to keep adults interested as well. I have no problem with that. I'm good with that.

Because of that thread, I at least watched the Brony documentary, but it didn't make a good argument for the show. I figured that was because it was a shit poor documentary. It really was. I love documentaries, and will watch them on almost any subject, but this one was very poorly made. So I figured this new My Little Pony cartoon might have some adult humor hidden in it somewhere, like Toy Story, or that cartoon Adventure Time, or something. I watched it and there was nothing. Not one thing in it that I, even as an adult who is not unknown to watch cartoons proudly, not even I could find one redeeming reason to watch that show.

I don’t really care what others watch, but I just can’t get what adults, or even teens, could possibly see in it to justify staring at it for hours. Not a big deal. But then, what I get even less is how anyone likes it so much it has to become a pervasive presence on an atheist forum. There’s a thread, and that’s awesome for that thread, but I’ll have to wade through pages of cartoon ponies dancing or sliding on a rainbow, just to get to the part in the tread where the original poster explains the archeological evidence that the Israelites were never in Egypt. What the fuck do cartoon ponies have to do with archeological evidence that the Israelites were never in Egypt? And for that matter, what do creepy faceless monsters with knives in their backs, and blood bleeding from their eyeless eyes have to do with the human evolution of morality, and being good without “God”?

For fuck sake!

Sometimes we just have to learn to accept that it doesn't really matter if we understand Wink

Swing with me a while, we can listen to the birds call, we can keep each other warm.
Swing with me forever, we can count up every flower, we can weather every storm.
[+] 1 user Likes Losty's post
07-04-2014, 02:25 PM
(07-04-2014 02:22 PM)LostandInsecure Wrote:  
(07-04-2014 02:15 PM)Raptor Jesus Wrote:  Here's the thing I don't get with the ponies...well, there are a lot of things I don't get with the ponies, but I'll focus on this one.

For fuck sake!

Sometimes we just have to learn to accept that it doesn't really matter if we understand Wink

You missed my point. I don't care whether I understand. It's not about that. That's why I said, "I don't really care what others watch".

It's not that, it's the bleed over of it into legitimate threads that I actually want to read and engage in, but have to wade through pages of.......well....I already said it, didn't I?

[+] 3 users Like Raptor Jesus's post
07-04-2014, 02:27 PM
(07-04-2014 02:15 PM)Raptor Jesus Wrote:  

For fuck sake!

I'm with you on the ponies, man. I don't get it. Not even a little. Drinking Beverage

"Let me give you some advice, bastard: never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you." - Tyrion Lannister
[+] 2 users Like itsnotmeitsyou's post
07-04-2014, 02:33 PM
(07-04-2014 02:25 PM)Raptor Jesus Wrote:  
(07-04-2014 02:22 PM)LostandInsecure Wrote:  Sometimes we just have to learn to accept that it doesn't really matter if we understand Wink

You missed my point. I don't care whether I understand. It's not about that. That's why I said, "I don't really care what others watch".

It's not that, it's the bleed over of it into legitimate threads that I actually want to read and engage in, but have to wade through pages of.......well....I already said it, didn't I?

Hmm I must've missed that. Your post was like three years long so I just skimmed it Tongue
Lol Hug
Are you in the SBT yet???

Swing with me a while, we can listen to the birds call, we can keep each other warm.
Swing with me forever, we can count up every flower, we can weather every storm.
07-04-2014, 02:35 PM
I was dating a guy once. He was a member of the most popular forum in his country. He wanted to be cool like the others in there. The cool thing there was to watch those ponies. There was a conversation between us like:

-I'm gonna start watching My Little Pony.
-What? What the fuck, why?
-I don't know, everyone watches it in the forum.

There must be thousands like him.

Now even this thread is about ponies.

"Behind every great pirate, there is a great butt."
-Guybrush Threepwood-
[+] 3 users Like undergroundp's post
07-04-2014, 02:38 PM
(07-04-2014 02:35 PM)undergroundp Wrote:  I was dating a guy once. He was a member of the most popular forum in his country. He wanted to be cool like the others in there. The cool thing there was to watch those ponies. There was a conversation between us like:

-I'm gonna start watching My Little Pony.
-What? What the fuck, why?
-I don't know, everyone watches it in the forum.

There must be thousands like him.

Now even this thread is about ponies.
This thread has been about so many things. May as well be about ponies too. And hitler. I don't think anyone has mentioned hitler yet...

07-04-2014, 02:38 PM
I remember buying, seemingly, a bazillion MLPs when my girls were little. They thought they were cute and liked to brush their tails...it was the thing that came after the Strawberry Shortcake thing and the Care Bears and before my son and TMNTs.

I can't say that I ever saw the ponies as anything other than a draw for elementary school girls. The toys and the cartoons for me are fluff for little girls to giggle over.

That said, I don't care who wants to watch it and sometimes the memes can be cute, when they are unexpected and fitting.

I don't get it but I don't have to. But I know that no one here wants me quoting The Breakfast Club or other movies with the brat pack on every single thread.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
[+] 4 users Like Anjele's post
07-04-2014, 02:44 PM
(07-04-2014 02:38 PM)Anjele Wrote:  I remember buying, seemingly, a bazillion MLPs when my girls were little. They thought they were cute and liked to brush their tails...it was the thing that came after the Strawberry Shortcake thing and the Care Bears and before my son and TMNTs.

I can't say that I ever saw the ponies as anything other than a draw for elementary school girls. The toys and the cartoons for me are fluff for little girls to giggle over.

That said, I don't care who wants to watch it and sometimes the memes can be cute, when they are unexpected and fitting.

I don't get it but I don't have to. But I know that no one here wants me quoting The Breakfast Club or other movies with the brat pack on every single thread.

That's the way I saw it. I remember MLP from when my sister used to play with them. When it came back out and "bronies" became a thing, I thought that maybe they had radically changed the concept and it was going to be funny or laced with adult humor. No Dodgy I wasted 3 hours of my life trying to figure it out.

Far be it from me to tell others what to watch. It obviously entertains some or else it wouldn't be a thing.

Oh, and I would love you even more for quoting the Brat Pack everywhere.

[+] 1 user Likes itsnotmeitsyou's post