Argue against religion or god

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-10-2011, 07:45 AM
Argue against religion or god
This may be a quesiton that has been answered previously or it may be that it is an irrelevant one. Was wondering what other people thought...

Quick synopsis of my lifes progression through the god 'thing'.

Started out a super bible thumper (went on a mission trip, ran the sound board for the youth group band...the whole nine).
Transitioned to "god doesn't exist".
Next came "god may exist, but probably not the god that anyone on this planet worships".
Lastly came "who cares if a god exists?"

What me and my lady friend have been discussing recently is whether or not a god exists is a question that can be answered (I tend to say that it cannot be answered definitively). Also that debating/arguing against religion(s) doesn't really have anything to do with the existance of a god in general.

Disproving the existance of a god that a specific religion believes that has identifiable traits seems easy (at least to people that don't already believe in it). While the existance of a general god seems harder in my mind. It may just be my mind has been so hardwired, through a couple decades of brainwashing, to believe in some supreme being that I can't let it go. But that is another discussion entirely, lol. Thoughts?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-10-2011, 05:14 PM
RE: Argue against religion or god
My conclusion is that "I am" being "God" is no accident.

Structure in the universe begins with the triangle. In any consideration of "I am" there is a trinity (as a writer anticipating reading audience - this is a graphical simplification of what goes on in my head when I write something.)
I/you/you.

Three "beings." You are plural, two beings are "greater" than one being.

Yet whenever "I" speaks, and is heard by "you," the greater "I" become in the archetype of "writer."

The ultimate archetype is "God," therefore "God" exists in the Name archetype "YHWH"/ I am. As an atheist, when I say, "you are God," I am speaking of "a greater truth" than "god does not exist."

If you're an atheist, you can say what you want; what I'm saying, "atheist" is the archetype to be. Wink

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
24-10-2011, 05:54 PM
(24-10-2011 07:45 AM)aldumil Wrote:  What me and my lady friend have been discussing recently is whether or not a god exists is a question that can be answered (I tend to say that it cannot be answered definitively).

I tend to think you are correct. You can't say, with absolute certainty, that there is no god. But, I don't think absolute certainty is required. There is no evidence for a god, everything in the bible on the creation of man, animals, etc. is demonstrably false, the history doesn't stack up with the archeological record, etc. etc. etc.

There is no actual evidence to support the existence of god, at least now the of any of the major religions. And, given that there is no supporting evidence, I think you are asking the question the wrong way. The burden is on those who claim that something for which there is no proof still exists. The argument should be on the existence of god because the default position is that there is none.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
24-10-2011, 06:44 PM
(24-10-2011 07:45 AM)aldumil Wrote:  Disproving the existance of a god that a specific religion believes that has identifiable traits seems easy (at least to people that don't already believe in it). While the existance of a general god seems harder in my mind. It may just be my mind has been so hardwired, through a couple decades of brainwashing, to believe in some supreme being that I can't let it go. But that is another discussion entirely, lol. Thoughts?

I agree to a great extent. We can quite easily see/research that all gods that have been recorded in history have been invented by humans, including nasty old Yahweh.

With regard to a supreme "being", no one" knows", obviously, but to my very basic and non-intellectual mind, if there was such as being, then that being would probably have strong reason/inclination to let us all know of its existence.

As it doesn't, I will assume either that it doesn't exist. is very shy, couldn't care less whether we know or not or finds it easy to create a universe and everything in it but has very poor communication skills/methods.

Take your pick!

"To think of what the world has suffered from superstition, from religion, from the worship of beast and stone and god, is
almost enough to make one insane."

Robert G. Ingersoll
24-10-2011, 08:37 PM
The answer to that question depends on what you define "god" to be. I grew up as a fundamentalist Pentecostal, THAT god definitely does not exist. I would argue that the commonly accepted "all-powerful, all-knowing, all-loving" god is a logical contradiction and that can't exist either.

The only definition of a god that I think cannot be proved/disproved is one that does not and has not ever interacted with our universe. If such a god did exist, it would be completely irrelevant so I wouldn't give a shit if it did exist.

“There is no sin except stupidity.” Oscar Wilde
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
27-10-2011, 06:20 AM
God exists, it's just the Big Bang Theory to me.