Arguing For Gay Marriage

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-10-2012, 04:15 AM
RE: Arguing For Gay Marriage
(28-10-2012 07:46 PM)amyb Wrote:  Of course, all my relatives believe that I'm gay because I don't have a husband and 2.5 children at my ripe old age. Because that's why women exist: to be Christian baby cannons and to cook dinner for their husbands.

Haha! Do I know where you're coming from! I've had people tell me that it was high time I had kids, even if I wasn't married... time was that would annoy me somewhat, now I really couldn't give a rat's behind, yet I still find it quite distasteful - makes me feel like I'm some sort of farm animal, kept for breeding purposes.

Luckily, no one in my family thinks this way... or at least no one dares say it to my face, 'cause they're going to get an earful (if I decide I can be bothered to reply to such nonsense).

And to me marriage is an outdated institution anyway, whose purpose is mainly financial and legal. However, everybody who wants to marry the person they love should be allowed... no, that's not the right word... should have the right to do so.

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderĂ²."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
29-10-2012, 09:14 AM
(29-10-2012 02:26 AM)Vera Wrote:  
(28-10-2012 06:42 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  Yeah but that's history for you I suppose.
"Rights" and a less intrusive state is a relatively new thing it seems.
The state has always had an invested interest in daily life of its citizens.

I was going to say that another bit of history is that homosexuality was actually the higher form of love in Ancient Greece, though that would not be entirely correct, as it was more pederasty than sexual relations between two adults. Still, it is widely acknowledged that back then homosexuality did not carry the stigma Christianity would later bestow upon it.

(Though, to be fair, the way they viewed sex was not much healthier than the way fundamentalists and the homophobes of today see it; I mean, as long as people believe that sex is all about domination/submission, we are mighty screwed.)

Still, it is sad that we didn't inherit more of the Ancient Greek mentality and what we did take was not necessarily the best we could've chosen (Aristotle's ideas of the inferiority of women and Plato's Theory of Forms/Ideas No )

A funny (or sad) aside - modern Greeks tend to get all bent out of shape when it is suggested that Alexander the Great might have been bisexual. How's that for devolution...

Well considering Alexander the Great wasn't Greek, I don't know what they're getting bent out of shape over.

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes earmuffs's post
29-10-2012, 09:20 AM
(29-10-2012 09:14 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  Well considering Alexander the Great wasn't Greek, I don't know what they're getting bent out of shape over.

Oooh, don't ever tell them this. They're plenty pissed off as it is for having to shape up a bit.

29-10-2012, 09:30 AM
Friend of mine actually did prison time recently in a southern state for "sodomy". So not just gay marriage is still illegal.
29-10-2012, 09:34 AM
Hey, not my fault they can't keep their empires in tack.
They go through enough of them.

29-10-2012, 09:36 AM
(29-10-2012 09:30 AM)sandman Wrote:  Friend of mine actually did prison time recently in a southern state for "sodomy". So not just gay marriage is still illegal.

You know, I was reading about those laws, but I thought it said they'd been repealed...

And how exactly does one arrest someone for sodomy? Do they have to catch him in flagrante delicto so to speak or does the other person snitch on him? Sorry, I really wasn't trying to make fun of your friend, but of the whole idiocy of arresting people for their choice of a sexual position, cause I'm sorry but that's exactly what it is.

[+] 1 user Likes Vera's post
29-10-2012, 09:46 AM
(29-10-2012 09:34 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  Hey, not my fault they can't keep their empires in tack.
They go through enough of them.

Well, do you have any idea how hot it gets down there in the summer? So hot that you only have strength enough to down ouzo after ouzo, break a plate or two and reminisce about past glories Drinking Beverage

[+] 1 user Likes Vera's post
30-10-2012, 05:18 PM

[+] 2 users Like earmuffs's post
01-11-2012, 03:39 AM
(28-10-2012 12:34 AM)Diablo666 Wrote:  Gay sex was once illegal in the US?

I am pretty certain it still is illegal in most if not all states. It is considered sodomy, which is against the law.
01-11-2012, 06:00 PM
(01-11-2012 03:39 AM)Birdguy1979 Wrote:  
(28-10-2012 12:34 AM)Diablo666 Wrote:  Gay sex was once illegal in the US?

I am pretty certain it still is illegal in most if not all states. It is considered sodomy, which is against the law.

Nope. Lawrence v. Texas.

I am us and we is me. ... bitches.
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post