Arguing With Jehovah Witnesses

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-03-2013, 02:12 AM
So I have had this Jehovah Witness stop by a few times and he has brought along an interesting cast of people each time. Currently my favorite is the one he has brought along the last 2 times. Despite disagreeing vehemently I have found them to be pleasant to talk to and so far have found no reason for them not to come back.

Anyway, up to this point we have mostly discusses philosophy but the last 2 visits have started to veer off into science and what the bible does and does not prove. Today they brought up a verse that talks about the earth being spherical and hinting at being suspended in space. They say that the only way to know this was from the creator as nobody had discovered this fact at that time. How do I argue against this? Obviously I know that the writer of the books of the bible did not have insight from the creation of the universe. I know this. But how do you argue this with a Jehovah Witness?

I also need ideas on different arguments and discussions I should bring up the next time they stop by. I've made it clear where I stand and that they are not going to convert me. I've made it known that I am an atheist and that I find them pleasant but I do not want to waste their time. However, I also don't have many people stopping by and its nice to have the social interaction. I need some talking points though.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes riseinside's post
06-03-2013, 04:12 AM
RE: Arguing With Jehovah Witnesses
(06-03-2013 02:12 AM)riseinside Wrote:  So I have had this Jehovah Witness stop by a few times and he has brought along an interesting cast of people each time. Currently my favorite is the one he has brought along the last 2 times. Despite disagreeing vehemently I have found them to be pleasant to talk to and so far have found no reason for them not to come back.

Anyway, up to this point we have mostly discusses philosophy but the last 2 visits have started to veer off into science and what the bible does and does not prove. Today they brought up a verse that talks about the earth being spherical and hinting at being suspended in space. They say that the only way to know this was from the creator as nobody had discovered this fact at that time. How do I argue against this? Obviously I know that the writer of the books of the bible did not have insight from the creation of the universe. I know this. But how do you argue this with a Jehovah Witness?

I also need ideas on different arguments and discussions I should bring up the next time they stop by. I've made it clear where I stand and that they are not going to convert me. I've made it known that I am an atheist and that I find them pleasant but I do not want to waste their time. However, I also don't have many people stopping by and its nice to have the social interaction. I need some talking points though.
Tell him that the writer of the passage must have looked up one night and observed that the earth cast a round shawdow on the moon and thereby deduced that earth is a sphere.
People have known the earth was a sphere for quite a long time now. At least since 350 bc and probably way before then.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Heywood Jahblome's post
06-03-2013, 08:30 AM
Jehovah's Witnesses* Drinking Beverage

Through profound pain comes profound knowledge.
Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto! Ridi del duol, che t'avvelena il cor!
[+] 1 user Likes Misanthropik's post
06-03-2013, 01:28 PM
Well am a Jehovah's witness by birth, they believe they have all the answers ....actually that passage about spherical of the earth is not even the words actually imply ....but used out of modern transcription or translation to fit with modern science
06-03-2013, 03:15 PM
remind them that mayans were aware of that and much more thousands of years before. Pre Hispanic Empires in this continent were very advanced in astronomy.

I Heart Qualia Soup
06-03-2013, 03:45 PM
They just came to our door...told them I couldn't talk to them, as I was late for my blood transfusion.

Tongue

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 8 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
06-03-2013, 03:56 PM
My mother told them not to bother us again 'bout eight years ago. Haven't seen them since.

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Vosur's post
06-03-2013, 06:06 PM
(06-03-2013 03:56 PM)Vosur Wrote:  My mother told them not to bother us again 'bout eight years ago. Haven't seen them since.

You do realize this now means you are on their "List"?

He's not the Messiah. He's a very naughty boy! -Brian's mum
06-03-2013, 06:08 PM
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eratosthenes

He's not the Messiah. He's a very naughty boy! -Brian's mum
[+] 1 user Likes Cardinal Smurf's post
06-03-2013, 08:28 PM
Re: Arguing With Jehovah Witnesses
Very interesting. That is a reference I can use. I appreciate all the information so far. Is there anyplace the that shows the days that each book of the Bible was written? That would be a great start as well.

I would tell them to go away but so far they have been pleasant and very interesting to talk to. They have been respectful even when I said they're was no chance of changing my opinion. I'm an sure there is a chance that could change very quickly but until then it's a good learning experience. However, they have refused to take any literature I have offered lol.