Arguing With a Very Dumb Person

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-10-2012, 05:04 AM
RE: Arguing With a Very Dumb Person
If giants aren't real, WHY DID DAVID KILL GOLIATH?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-10-2012, 07:58 AM
(17-10-2012 02:12 AM)Logisch Wrote:  A fun question to ask your peers the next time they get hung up on "creation vs science"...

"Why do you feel that the hypothesis of 'god' needs to be included in science? The entire point of science is to make predictions, understand things and the universe. So if the end result is only 'god' then how does that help you understand the world at all? What if I told you that perhaps if there is a god, that if you look at the world with an open mind and aren't narrow minded to science that perhaps that may actually help you understand the universe such a being created?"

Example:

Gravity. What is gravity?
God did it.

Well that doesn't help me understand gravity.

Gravity. What is gravity?
Insert actual scientific explanation of gravity.

Great, now I understand it better.

That helps me understand gravity.

Creation science is nothing more than people who are afraid that actual science disproves and abolishes their idea of a god being, it makes them uncomfortable. It's people who bend the results of things, make up things, lie, cheat or simply cherry pick science and ignore the rest to explain things to suit their world view. Real science should not be biased, but help you explain things.

Occam's razor... if the inclusion of a god being does not help you understand the universe, then the inclusion of said god being has no business in that explanation of the universe and can be excluded.

Assumptions... leaps...

The thing that actually gave me a mindfuck when i was a kid was when I spoke to an atheist and was a young earth creationist and told them that the big bang was not real since it would disprove god. He said, "How do you know the big bang isn't how god created the universe?" .............................. "Wow... that's..... an interesting point."

And that's when I started reading up on it.

EXACTLY! I've always loved science since I was 5 years of age. So I don't just go around saying GODDIDIT because I am too lazy or don't know better to find out why it happens.

People used to tell others that the sun was created and controlled by a god. We now know there are binary mini-explosions occurring, creating massive amounts of energy.

What would a kid rather do? Say god did it and go play video games? Or say science did it and find out the explanation.
Find all posts by this user
17-10-2012, 09:52 AM
Before I became an Atheist, I didn't like to refer to myself as a Christian, (although I attended a Methodist Church), because I knew that I "sinned" on the daily I didn't want to be a representative for the church. I think it's always important to take into consideration substance of the people in an argument. It amazes me how people who are unintelligent and generally unpleasant find themselves worthy to tell Atheists how wrong we are. I know I wouldn't want to be a part of any group that half of my school's "Christians" belonged to.

"If God is real, he better have a good excuse." - Woody Allen
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user