Argument for God

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-04-2013, 02:57 PM

RE: Argument for God
(02-04-2013 02:19 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  Is a concept a thing? A concept about a thing (i.e. Unicorns) can exist, but that does not mean the actual thing exists.

I can see we'll never actually get to the argument. Atheists always dodge, evade, side-step, confuse the issue, and then just start posting links to Wikipedia articles rather than answering a question.

But fine. We'll go wherever you want to go with this. Drinking Beverage

A unicorn does not exist. The concept of a unicorn does exist.

[Image: unicorn.jpg]

A concept is a thing, for sure.
Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Egor's post
02-04-2013, 02:58 PM
(02-04-2013 02:09 PM)Egor Wrote:  I'd like to do this in the Socratic method. I think it works better. If you just lay out an argument, atheists just say, "Nope!" and stick their heads back in the sand. Doing it this way is better. Less intimidating. And if I'm asking the questions and you're giving the answers then you can't very well escape with "prove it" can you?

So, would you agree that a thing either exists or does not exist? Consider

Define what you mean by a thing, and then define what you mean by existence. If you plan on making this a "Word Game" the I want to know EXACTLY what I am answering.

[Image: 0013382F-E507-48AE-906B-53008666631C-757...cc3639.jpg]
Credit goes to UndercoverAtheist.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
02-04-2013, 03:00 PM (This post was last modified: 04-04-2013 06:42 PM by Doctor X.)

Those who administer and moderate in order to exercise personal agenda merely feed into the negative stereotype of Atheism
02-04-2013, 03:00 PM

(02-04-2013 02:58 PM)Atothetheist Wrote:  Define what you mean by a thing, and then define what you mean by existence. If you plan on making this a "Word Game" the I want to know EXACTLY what I am answering.

Evasion through over-complication.

If you don't know what a "thing" is and if you don't know what "existence" is, then you're not qualified for this discussion. You're not qualified to feed or dress yourself either, if that's the case, but that's a different subject. Hobo
Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Egor's post
02-04-2013, 03:02 PM (This post was last modified: 04-04-2013 06:43 PM by Doctor X.)

Those who administer and moderate in order to exercise personal agenda merely feed into the negative stereotype of Atheism
[+] 2 users Like Doctor X's post
02-04-2013, 03:04 PM
If you mean a phsyical manifestation as exsisting then yes

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
02-04-2013, 03:07 PM
(02-04-2013 03:00 PM)Egor Wrote:  
(02-04-2013 02:58 PM)Atothetheist Wrote:  Define what you mean by a thing, and then define what you mean by existence. If you plan on making this a "Word Game" the I want to know EXACTLY what I am answering.

Evasion through over-complication.

If you don't know what a "thing" is and if you don't know what "existence" is, then you're not qualified for this discussion. You're not qualified to feed or dress yourself either, if that's the case, but that's a different subject. :hobo:

Now you are evading what I am asking you. I know what a thing is. I have a good idea on what existence is too. However, just because I define it so, doesn't mean you do.

I ask again:

How do you define the word "Thing"

How do you define the word "Exists"

If you can't be upfront and honest, or at least damn hospitable, then we are going to have a problem. I am not evading your question(s) I am trying to see if you are going to use semantics in this argument.

[Image: 0013382F-E507-48AE-906B-53008666631C-757...cc3639.jpg]
Credit goes to UndercoverAtheist.
[+] 3 users Like Atothetheist's post
02-04-2013, 03:09 PM
I disqualify myself, have seen this parlor trick before.

And the put-downs are part of it, too.

Edward, you should be ashamed of yourself. The way you treat people goes against everything that may be good about Christianity.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 2 users Like Dom's post
02-04-2013, 03:10 PM (This post was last modified: 04-04-2013 06:43 PM by Doctor X.)

[+] 1 user Likes Doctor X's post
02-04-2013, 03:11 PM (This post was last modified: 04-04-2013 06:43 PM by Doctor X.)

[+] 1 user Likes Doctor X's post