Argument for God

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-04-2013, 03:13 PM
RE: Argument for God
OK, Egor, I'll play along.

I will loosely define "a thing" as anything I can think about. I'll loosely define "exists" as being demonstrably real so that I can examine it with my senses and I can demonstrate it to others and they will agree that it is real.

With those definitions, then yes, "a thing" either "exists" or does not.

"Whores perform the same function as priests, but far more thoroughly." - Robert A. Heinlein
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Aseptic Skeptic's post
02-04-2013, 03:15 PM
(02-04-2013 02:57 PM)Egor Wrote:  
(02-04-2013 02:19 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  Is a concept a thing? A concept about a thing (i.e. Unicorns) can exist, but that does not mean the actual thing exists.

I can see we'll never actually get to the argument. Atheists always dodge, evade, side-step, confuse the issue, and then just start posting links to Wikipedia articles rather than answering a question.

But fine. We'll go wherever you want to go with this. Drinking Beverage

A unicorn does not exist. The concept of a unicorn does exist.

[Image: unicorn.jpg]

A concept is a thing, for sure.

All right, now that we have a nebulous definition of what you mean to exist or not exist, next question?

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
02-04-2013, 03:18 PM
I wish he'd drop the argument already.

Member of the Cult of Reason

The atheist is a man who destroys the imaginary things which afflict the human race, and so leads men back to nature, to experience and to reason.
-Baron d'Holbach-
Bitcion:1DNeQMswMdvx4xLPP6qNE7RkeTwXGC7Bzp
02-04-2013, 03:21 PM (This post was last modified: 04-04-2013 06:50 PM by Doctor X.)

Those who administer and moderate in order to exercise personal agenda merely feed into the negative stereotype of Atheism
[+] 3 users Like Doctor X's post
02-04-2013, 03:31 PM
Seriously fstrater, if you don't want to play, don't spoil it for the rest of us who do.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
02-04-2013, 04:02 PM
I think I scared him off. Oops.

Member of the Cult of Reason

The atheist is a man who destroys the imaginary things which afflict the human race, and so leads men back to nature, to experience and to reason.
-Baron d'Holbach-
Bitcion:1DNeQMswMdvx4xLPP6qNE7RkeTwXGC7Bzp
[+] 1 user Likes fstratzero's post
02-04-2013, 04:15 PM
My Dearest Egor,

The reason you see atheists as evasive and refusing to have a serious argument without playing word games every step of the way is because we're already 8 steps ahead of you. As soon as you offer your vague and easily malleable premise, we recognize your end game and beat you to the punch. We know that your intended conclusion is that "God exists" so as soon as you try to build such a grandiose claim on such a shaky foundation as "things either exist or don't exist" we can't help but stop you for clarification. We don't want to later base our acceptance or denial of a anthropomorphic magician creating worlds with his mind on a term like "things." Which is why Erx quickly pointed out that there are "things" that aren't actually "things."

It's not a technique for avoiding the argument. It's a way of making you clarify and define before we jump to the bold conclusions that we all know are coming.

Like if a scientist went, "Hey guys! You know how like sometimes stuff doesn't move? I think I disproved gravity!" The whole room would demand that he back the bus up and explain this whole "sometimes stuff doesn't move" basis.

Forever Yours,
Buddy

"Ain't got no last words to say, yellow streak right up my spine. The gun in my mouth was real and the taste blew my mind."

"We see you cry. We turn your head. Then we slap your face. We see you try. We see you fail. Some things never change."
[+] 10 users Like Buddy Christ's post
02-04-2013, 04:20 PM
(02-04-2013 02:09 PM)Egor Wrote:  So, would you agree that a thing either exists or does not exist? Consider
*sigh*

I'm probably going to regret this later, and I already have an idea where I think this is going....Sad

But I'll bite, and say.... Yes

[Image: 33xy6me.jpg]
02-04-2013, 04:48 PM
I will take my disqualification and leave you with your new partner in crime. Small minds must stick together...I'm out.

See here they are, the bruises, some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

Woofs hasn't changed my signature because of his banning.
[+] 2 users Like Anjele's post
02-04-2013, 05:14 PM (This post was last modified: 02-04-2013 07:23 PM by Bucky Ball.)
(02-04-2013 02:47 PM)Egor Wrote:  
(02-04-2013 02:15 PM)Anjele Wrote:  Yes and no...

Next.

I need to use you for an example: You are disqualified from this discussion.

You will not argue in good faith, which makes you an intellectual coward. If that's not it, then you apparently can't tell the difference between something existing or not existing, in which case you're out of your mind and again, disqualified. Also you reveal that you haven't even thought about your atheism, which means your point of view isn't worth considering.

Feel free to stick around and be atheistic background noise. That seems to be what you're good at anyway. Dodgy

Ha ha. Good one. What, no one's coming to your Church of the Green Dick site ? Thanks for being so Jebusy, Egsy. You are so kind and thoughtful, and Jebus-like. I can see religion is really making you into Jebus. And guess what ? You are not in charge here, or anywhere. If Angie wants to speak, she will speak. You "disqualify" no one. In fact, in light of your past crap, you are not qualified to START a thread. Let alone talk about the gods. What in hell makes you think you are qualified for this ? Just another delusional snake-oil salesman. I do realize you "church" types need to pretend to be on top, and control shit, but you don't. But keep up the jokes. You're hilarious.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein Certified Ancient Astronaut Theorist and Levitating Yogi, CAAT-LY.
Living daily with the high tragedy of being #2 on Laramie Hirsch's ignore list.
[+] 9 users Like Bucky Ball's post