Argument for God

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-04-2013, 08:32 PM
RE: Argument for God
(02-04-2013 02:58 PM)Atothetheist Wrote:  
(02-04-2013 02:09 PM)Egor Wrote:  I'd like to do this in the Socratic method. I think it works better. If you just lay out an argument, atheists just say, "Nope!" and stick their heads back in the sand. Doing it this way is better. Less intimidating. And if I'm asking the questions and you're giving the answers then you can't very well escape with "prove it" can you?

So, would you agree that a thing either exists or does not exist? Consider

Define what you mean by a thing, and then define what you mean by existence. If you plan on making this a "Word Game" the I want to know EXACTLY what I am answering.

Swamis, gurus, addicts, masters, may experience weird phenomena but they cannot directly, in secular terms, teach that experience to others, yet religionists of all persuasions attempt to exprapolate upon those personal experiences to influence others.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
02-04-2013, 08:44 PM
(02-04-2013 02:09 PM)Egor Wrote:  I'd like to do this in the Sarcastic method. I think it works better. If you just lay out an argument, atheists just say, "Nope!" and stick their heads back in the sand. Doing it this way is better. Less intimidating. And if I'm asking the questions and you're giving the answers then you can't very well escape with "prove it" can you?

Fixt. Big Grin

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]
[+] 2 users Like cheapthrillseaker's post
02-04-2013, 08:51 PM (This post was last modified: 02-04-2013 08:56 PM by FSM_scot.)
Egor Wrote:Mentally ill response as usual.

Look pot calling kettle black

Have you spoken to your collegues about you doing things voices in your head tell you yet? Well you should.

Oh and you don't own this thread you can't disqualify anyone from it. This isn't your forum where you seem to be the only poster, having multiple sockpuppets to increase the post count talk about despirate.

Behold the power of the force!
[Image: fgYtjtY.gif]
[+] 3 users Like FSM_scot's post
02-04-2013, 08:55 PM
How much longer before I get to ask if anyone likes cake? Consider

[+] 1 user Likes cheapthrillseaker's post
02-04-2013, 09:01 PM
(02-04-2013 08:55 PM)cheapthrillseaker Wrote:  How much longer before I get to ask if anyone likes cake? Consider

Anyone have any new stir-fry recipes ?

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein (That's a JOKE, ya idiot)
"And you quit footing the bill for these nations that are oil rich - we're paying for some of their *squirmishes* that have been going on for centuries" - Sarah Palin
02-04-2013, 09:05 PM
Teryaki beef is really nice eh cheap? Big Grin

Behold the power of the force!
[Image: fgYtjtY.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes FSM_scot's post
02-04-2013, 09:09 PM
Fuckin' Eh, FSM! Funnily enough I had some tonight! Big Grin

[+] 1 user Likes cheapthrillseaker's post
02-04-2013, 09:09 PM
(02-04-2013 03:02 PM)Doctor X Wrote:  
(02-04-2013 02:52 PM)Egor Wrote:  Mentally ill response as usual. You can be ignored from here on out.

You are, indeed, mentally ill and you should seek help before you harm yourself more materially than you have hithertofore.

Nevertheless, the gurgling of the child cannot--and will not--be ignored.

The Good[(Sic)--Ed.] Doctor's Prodigiously Pretentiously Pompously Perspicaciously Pedagogical Pediatric Pontine Tumor Proof

Here, again, is a real observation that requires explanation despite EddieBaby's cowardice. Children and adolescents develop a rather nasty tumor of the brain stem, particularly the metencephalon, or pons. It is infiltrative and not amenable to surgery, radiation, or chemotherapy. The latter two therapies merely prolong the ultimate decline.

[Image: 1-s2.0-S1470204506706155-gr2.jpg]

The decline? As with real estate, the watchword for the central nervous system is "location!" The tumor destroys the descending voluntary pathways and centers for the cranial nerves which enervate facial musculature whilst preserving the sensory pathways. The child progressively losses control of her body up to her eye muscles which allows some rudimentary communication. Since the trigger for consciousness is located in the more rostral ventral midbrain or mesencephalon, she remains conscious throughout the months of decline. During this deterioration, she retains sensation and consciousness. She feels every ulcer, every pain; she remains completely aware of her condition and decline.

Eventually, on a tracheostomy, she will succumb usually to an infection.

This is not only a real case, it is all too frequent.

In fact, here is a quote given to me from a parent left on a webpage in which the parent describes the condition:

Quote:"Today, thanks to God's mercy he still with us. He can no longer walk on his own, the weakness on the left side of his body has increased, his speech is slurred and I am watching how the spark of life is slowly but surely dimming. His little body, swollen by the steroids, is slowly giving way to an end. I do not have an idea of how much time I will have with him."

I am not sure “mercy” is a word that applies.

This is a case of Unjustified Suffering unless you or anyone else can find some manner in which to justify it. Notice that I do not attack the death--people die. Perhaps she was destined to be the next Celine Dion. . . . It is the extent and severity of the suffering that renders it Unjustified Suffering. What did the child do to deserve it? Consider then why Josef Mengele passed easily from a stroke while swimming. Why did he apparently deserve a far easier passage?

Perhaps imagine a Heaven and a Hell--dream up a reward and punishment that will somehow magically balance the books, so to write? The problem remains the extent and severity of the suffering. If die she must, far quicker and less-severe methods do end a tyke's existence. Forced listening of country-western music, for example. Children do, unfortunately, ask what the did wrong to be punished by such a condition. What "reward" balances it? Is it greater than that obtained by children who die of leukemia, car accidents, and falling masonry? Why? Furthermore, that one imagines a Mengele horribly tortured throughout eternity--something involving fish hooks and Patsy Cline--does not justify the extensive and severe suffering of the child. Finally, if some grand argumentum ad ignorantiam of a "reward" exists, why do not the children who die of the less-horrible leukemia and steam rollers deserve it?

Since No Alleviation of her Unjustified Suffering occurred, we are left with Five Possible Choices [All Rights Reserved.--Ed.] regarding deities:

1. No Deity Exists
2. A Deity Exists and He is Evil
3. A Deity Exists and He is Incompetent
4. A Deity Exists and He is Irrelevant
5. A Deity Exists and He is Some Combination of 2-4

all are, of course, free to choose from any one of the Five.

For some reason, EddieBaby lacks the sphincter tone to choose. At least the child has an excuse for her lack of . . . tone.

--J.D.

A very scholarly indictment of the general Christian thrust relating to eschatology.
Reminded me in some way of Ingersoll's poem lamenting the death of a child.

Hey, I like Patsy though!Thumbsup
02-04-2013, 10:14 PM
(02-04-2013 02:09 PM)Egor Wrote:  I'd like to do this in the Socratic method. I think it works better. If you just lay out an argument, atheists just say, "Nope!" and stick their heads back in the sand. Doing it this way is better. Less intimidating. And if I'm asking the questions and you're giving the answers then you can't very well escape with "prove it" can you?

Sure...when something is discovered to exist, it does.

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

02-04-2013, 10:21 PM
(02-04-2013 09:01 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(02-04-2013 08:55 PM)cheapthrillseaker Wrote:  How much longer before I get to ask if anyone likes cake? Consider

Anyone have any new stir-fry recipes ?

I just did a stir fry last night that I must say was rocking good. But I have no idea how I made the sauce. Husband has about thirty billion different sauce like stuff...so I just threw stuff together. I know there was soy...a fish sauce..black bean something or other...hot sesame oil...rice wine vinegar...

There was other stuff. Oh and gin too...maybe.

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon