Argument for God

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-04-2013, 10:26 PM
RE: Argument for God
(02-04-2013 10:21 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  I just did a stir fry last night that I must say was rocking good. But I have no idea how I made the sauce. Husband has about thirty billion different sauce like stuff...so I just threw stuff together. I know there was soy...a fish sauce..black bean something or other...hot sesame oil...rice wine vinegar...

There was other stuff. Oh and gin too...maybe.

Sounds like you enjoy cooking with alcohol...I bet you sometimes even put it in the food Big Grin

"Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.” ~ Ambrose Bierce
“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man's reasoning powers are not above the monkey's." - Mark Twain in Eruption
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Full Circle's post
02-04-2013, 10:34 PM
(02-04-2013 10:21 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(02-04-2013 09:01 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Anyone have any new stir-fry recipes ?

I just did a stir fry last night that I must say was rocking good. But I have no idea how I made the sauce. Husband has about thirty billion different sauce like stuff...so I just threw stuff together. I know there was soy...a fish sauce..black bean something or other...hot sesame oil...rice wine vinegar...

Yum. Smile

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein Certified Ancient Astronaut Theorist & Levitating Yogi
Sent by Jebus to put the stud back in Bible Study.
02-04-2013, 10:39 PM
So what was the answer? Is there a god or not? I've got plans to make and need to know which way to go.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
02-04-2013, 11:44 PM

(02-04-2013 03:04 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  If you mean a phsyical manifestation as exsisting then yes

What would be an example of an object that exists?

(02-04-2013 03:07 PM)Atothetheist Wrote:  If you can't be upfront and honest, or at least damn hospitable, then we are going to have a problem.

Yeah, right. Bring on the problem and watch how fast I throw it back in your face.

You evade. And I think you can see how many replies I have to scan through. Answer the simple stupid question or don’t.

(02-04-2013 03:13 PM)Aseptic Skeptic Wrote:  OK, Egor, I'll play along.

I will loosely define "a thing" as anything I can think about. I'll loosely define "exists" as being demonstrably real so that I can examine it with my senses and I can demonstrate it to others and they will agree that it is real.

With those definitions, then yes, "a thing" either "exists" or does not.

Given your definitions, how could a “thing” not exist?

(02-04-2013 03:15 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  All right, now that we have a nebulous definition of what you mean to exist or not exist, next question?

Don’t try to throw it back. Answer the question or don’t I’ve done my part on your behalf.

And keep this in mind, I would prefer to talk with just one person the way I do in my forum with arguments like this. So, if you don’t want to jump in, then don’t. Others will.

I’m not trying to trick anyone. My questions are straightforward.

If someone were to ask me: “Do you agree that a thing either exists or doesn’t.” I would answer, “yes.” Obviously, a thing either exists or does not.

But then I asked, “How can a thing not exist?” and that moves the argument forward.

All this, “ooh I don’t want to get tricked by a theist” just reeks of people who are so weak in their atheism it stuns me that they even bother to be atheists.

(02-04-2013 03:18 PM)fstratzero Wrote:  I wish he'd drop the argument already.

Well of course you do. You want a point by point argument so you can go line by line and say, nope, nope, nope, nope. Proves nothing.

I’m not playing that game. You all get off too easily with that crap.
Quote this message in a reply
02-04-2013, 11:51 PM

(02-04-2013 04:15 PM)Buddy Christ Wrote:  My Dearest Egor,

The reason you see atheists as evasive and refusing to have a serious argument without playing word games every step of the way is because we're already 8 steps ahead of you. As soon as you offer your vague and easily malleable premise, we recognize your end game and beat you to the punch. We know that your intended conclusion is that "God exists" so as soon as you try to build such a grandiose claim on such a shaky foundation as "things either exist or don't exist" we can't help but stop you for clarification. We don't want to later base our acceptance or denial of a anthropomorphic magician creating worlds with his mind on a term like "things." Which is why Erx quickly pointed out that there are "things" that aren't actually "things."

It's not a technique for avoiding the argument. It's a way of making you clarify and define before we jump to the bold conclusions that we all know are coming.

Like if a scientist went, "Hey guys! You know how like sometimes stuff doesn't move? I think I disproved gravity!" The whole room would demand that he back the bus up and explain this whole "sometimes stuff doesn't move" basis.

Forever Yours,
Buddy

I have news for you. I have no idea where this is headed.

So, the next questions are, "What is something that exists? and Is it possible for a thing to not exist? Given that we now have the definition of a thing as any physical or imagined thing.

If I were to run a trial balance at this point, this is where we are:

* Would you agree that a thing either exists or doesn't?
* Yes.
* What is a thing that exists?
* Is it possible for a thing to not exist?
02-04-2013, 11:55 PM
There are things that exist, things that don't exist, and things that once existed, but have ceased to do so.

Next question.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
02-04-2013, 11:56 PM
(02-04-2013 02:09 PM)Egor Wrote:  I'd like to do this in the Socratic method. I think it works better. If you just lay out an argument, atheists just say, "Nope!" and stick their heads back in the sand. Doing it this way is better. Less intimidating. And if I'm asking the questions and you're giving the answers then you can't very well escape with "prove it" can you?

So, would you agree that a thing either exists or does not exist? Consider

What the hell is the point of this? Why are you debating (as if you could call what this is debating) a group of people that have a rational mindset and demand proof and evidence to conclude the existence of something? You know this is the case! You know what atheism is! And I know you know because when you strip away that dirty vale of religion that you hide behind you seam like an intelligent individual.

Do the words you see before you exist? Does the point of this thread exist?

If God exists I hope he has a good excuse -Woody Allen
[+] 1 user Likes Thoughtful Nate's post
03-04-2013, 12:03 AM
(02-04-2013 10:26 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  
(02-04-2013 10:21 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  I just did a stir fry last night that I must say was rocking good. But I have no idea how I made the sauce. Husband has about thirty billion different sauce like stuff...so I just threw stuff together. I know there was soy...a fish sauce..black bean something or other...hot sesame oil...rice wine vinegar...

Sounds like you enjoy cooking with alcohol...I bet you sometimes even put it in the food Big Grin

I call it cooking with spirit. It's my personal therapy after a long day.

The sun rises in the West and the bird shits on the coffeetable.

[+] 2 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
03-04-2013, 12:07 AM
(02-04-2013 10:34 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  

Yum. Smile

It was really good. Nicely balanced too. I'm actually kinda annoyed that I can't remember what all went into it...especially the amounts...cause that's like important when replicating stuff. *sigh* it's an ongoing issue.

The sun rises in the West and the bird shits on the coffeetable.

03-04-2013, 12:10 AM

(02-04-2013 04:20 PM)LostLocke Wrote:  I'm probably going to regret this later, and I already have an idea where I think this is going....Sad

But I'll bite, and say.... Yes

Fine, what is an example of something that exists?

Do you think that a thing is defined as anything imagined or physically observable?

(02-04-2013 04:48 PM)Anjele Wrote:  I will take my disqualification and leave you with your new partner in crime. Small minds must stick together...I'm out.

mmmbuhbye. Wink

(02-04-2013 05:36 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  Cosmological Argument for the existence of god

1. Every thing has either been caused to exist by something else or else exists uncaused.
2. Not every thing has been caused to exist by something else.
3. Therefore, at least one thing is itself uncaused.

But this argument fails because #2 cannot be proven, the First Cause argument.

This where I think he's trying to take this thread. Then again maybe he just wants to start a thread so he can throw some insults out.

I don't intend to use the cosmological argument. I think I might be on to something new, and if I'm wrong, you can all have a good laugh. Yes

(02-04-2013 07:10 PM)Reltzik Wrote:  For the most part, no. There is a limited set of things for which we have confirmed either existence or non-existence, and for these things existence is strictly either/or. But for the unconfirmed items, which are multitude, I take the Schrodinger-Cat attitude. Their existence or non-existence is undefined and NOT an either/or state. This undefined state will continue until sufficient observation to confirm the state of their existence is made.

Really? So are you saying that only observed things exist?

(02-04-2013 07:59 PM)Mr Woof Wrote:  I think this really should be in the philosophy section, where I have promised to restrict myself on a weekly basis, so you will have to contact me there in future.Consider

I'll rush over there and hold my breath until you arrive, sir. Yes

(02-04-2013 08:51 PM)FSM_scot Wrote:  Have you spoken to your collegues about you doing things voices in your head tell you yet? Well you should.

Bite me.

Quote:Oh and you don't own this thread you can't disqualify anyone from it. This isn't your forum where you seem to be the only poster, having multiple sockpuppets to increase the post count talk about despirate.

My sock puppets, unlike yours, are advertised. I am Egor (normal postings), Edward (Chaplain postings), and Admin (the Owner).

I like my forum the way it is, actually. There are three of us right now actively using it. Real discussions are taking place between three intelligent individuals, and that's how I like it.

If my next book is famous, my forum will be famous. If it's not, then it doesn't need to be. Right now, it's fine the way it is. And there is no difference, and I think you know this, between me posting here and me posting there. I'm in six forums, but really, it's all the same thing. Why? Because I'm Egor. I'm Brother Edward. There's no one else like me out here.

(02-04-2013 11:55 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  There are things that exist, things that don't exist, and things that once existed, but have ceased to do so.

Next question.

Total evasion. Weak...very weak. Dodgy