Argument for God

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-04-2013, 12:41 AM

RE: Argument for God
Anyone worth listening to object to this:

A thing must exist either as a concept or an object. Therefore, it is a contradiction to talk about a "thing" that doesn't exist.
Quote this message in a reply
03-04-2013, 12:44 AM
(03-04-2013 12:40 AM)Egor Wrote:  
(03-04-2013 12:34 AM)Thoughtful Nate Wrote:  Well, it wouldn't be a "thing" by definition if it doesn't exist... Can you please get the point...

Did I not treat you with respect? Sheez. Atheists. Dodgy

I'm going to take my time. A debate will last as long as it has to.

And what exactly is this debate about. None of your questions seams to hold any water for an argument for god.

If God exists I hope he has a good excuse -Woody Allen
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Thoughtful Nate's post
03-04-2013, 12:48 AM
(03-04-2013 12:31 AM)Egor Wrote:  
(03-04-2013 12:16 AM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  But there are things that don't exist that people think about. Unicorns, dragons, god...et al

It's apples and oranges. A physical dragon does not exist. But the concept of a dragon does exist.

So, an idea can exist, but it's an idea not a physical object. There is no such thing as a unicorn, but there is such thing as the concept of a unicorn.

So, are we in agreement that a thing must exist either as a concept or an object. And can we therefore agree that it is a contradiction to talk about a "thing" that doesn't exist.

Concepts or ideas can be twisted. Real tangible things that everyone can see, smell, touch, taste, hear...etc, can't really be changed. For example...a lion won't really be confused with a common house cat.

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

03-04-2013, 12:54 AM
(03-04-2013 12:41 AM)Egor Wrote:  Anyone worth listening to object to this:

A thing must exist either as a concept or an object. Therefore, it is a contradiction to talk about a "thing" that doesn't exist.

I don' t think atheist deny the concept of God.....when they say God doesn't exist they mean as an "object" God does not exist.
03-04-2013, 12:57 AM
(03-04-2013 12:54 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  

I don' t think atheist deny the concept of God.....when they say God doesn't exist they mean as an "object" God does not exist.

Exactly. Its like a hypothesis.

If God exists I hope he has a good excuse -Woody Allen
03-04-2013, 04:38 AM
(02-04-2013 11:44 PM)Egor Wrote:  
(02-04-2013 03:13 PM)Aseptic Skeptic Wrote:  OK, Egor, I'll play along.

I will loosely define "a thing" as anything I can think about. I'll loosely define "exists" as being demonstrably real so that I can examine it with my senses and I can demonstrate it to others and they will agree that it is real.

With those definitions, then yes, "a thing" either "exists" or does not.

Given your definitions, how could a “thing” not exist?

Easy.

I can think of a human with 12 functional arms. I can think of a 100' tall human. I can think of a robot bigger than Mount Everest made of ice cream and gumdrops. I can think of an invisible pink unicorn or a flying spaghetti monster. I can think of Yahweh.

All these are examples of what I can think about, making them "things" by my definition, but none of them exist.

Do I know for a fact that none of them exist? Nope. But there has never been any credible recorded evidence that any of them exist and all of them are unrealistic myths (at best) so until I find some real evidence to convince me about any of them, I'm quite satisfied to assume that none of them exist.

"Whores perform the same function as priests, but far more thoroughly." - Robert A. Heinlein
03-04-2013, 04:47 AM (This post was last modified: 04-04-2013 06:44 PM by Doctor X.)

Those who administer and moderate in order to exercise personal agenda merely feed into the negative stereotype of Atheism
03-04-2013, 06:17 AM

Your pathetic attempt to prove the existence of god through the use of word play because you have no actual evidence is pathetic, even for you, and an insult on our intelligence.

Even if something exists as a concept, ie: Flying pigs. that doesn't mean that flying pigs actually physically exist.
I can google image some pictures of flying pigs and get results of some drawings or some photoshop work of a pig with some wings attached, BUT flying pigs don't actually physically exist.

Same with god. The bible offers the concept of god, but there is no evidence that he actually materially exists beyond that concept.

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.
[+] 2 users Like earmuffs's post
03-04-2013, 06:21 AM
(03-04-2013 12:10 AM)Egor Wrote:  Bite me.

In other words you know you are mentally ill but choose to hide it from your place of work. You really should tell them. You do what the voices in your head tell you to do. Luckily you work in a place equiped to deal with it. Get help.

(03-04-2013 12:10 AM)Egor Wrote:  My sock puppets, unlike yours, are advertised. I am Egor (normal postings), Edward (Chaplain postings), and Admin (the Owner).

I like my forum the way it is, actually. There are three of us right now actively using it. Real discussions are taking place between three intelligent individuals, and that's how I like it.

If my next book is famous, my forum will be famous. If it's not, then it doesn't need to be. Right now, it's fine the way it is. And there is no difference, and I think you know this, between me posting here and me posting there. I'm in six forums, but really, it's all the same thing. Why? Because I'm Egor. I'm Brother Edward. There's no one else like me out here.

Thats quite a claim to make. Got any proof to back that up?. Noone on the forum team has a second account the same with the vast majority of members. So you better have some damn good evidence to back that claim up.

So you have conversations between your 3 personalities?. Mental health help is not far away. Just saying. Its a good option for you.

Behold the power of the force!
[Image: fgYtjtY.gif]
[+] 4 users Like FSM_scot's post
03-04-2013, 07:04 AM
(03-04-2013 12:10 AM)Egor Wrote:  
(02-04-2013 04:20 PM)LostLocke Wrote:  I'm probably going to regret this later, and I already have an idea where I think this is going....Sad

But I'll bite, and say.... Yes

Fine, what is an example of something that exists?
This apple in my hand exists.
(03-04-2013 12:10 AM)Egor Wrote:  Do you think that a thing is defined as anything imagined or physically observable?
You're the one asking me if a thing can exist, so you need to define what you mean by thing first.
But just for the sake of argument, I'll say a thing is a physical object.

[Image: 21omssh.jpg]