Argument from Ignorance vs. Argument from Silence

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-10-2015, 12:07 PM
RE: Argument from Ignorance vs. Argument from Silence
(01-10-2015 11:53 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  Bible (including NT) = claim, not evidence.

I mean, for fuck's sake, this is basic stuff here Facepalm

Well clearly you don't have a clue as to what you're taking about.

The Gospels, the NT writings, the writing's of Paul encounters with the disciples, and Jesus brother, are all evidence for historical Jesus, whether you like it or not.

But let me guess if it's writing by non-christian sources at the time then it's evidence, if it's christian sources than it's not?

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Tomasia's post
01-10-2015, 12:08 PM
(01-10-2015 11:48 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(30-09-2015 04:31 PM)Shadow Fox Wrote:  Absence of evidence IS evidence of absence. Until it can be proven to be true, its false and must be assumed to be so.

Argument from Silence sounds an awful lot like a pitiful way of trying to remove themselves from the burden of proof.

And trying to exclude the greco-roman biographies, commonly referred to as the gospel, and NT sources, such as accounts those who met his discloses and brother, to be excluded as evidence, is just silly.

To account for the Christian movement, history, writing, etc... without a historical Jesus, would require an explanation that would out maneuver the best of conspiracy theory. I don't mind that there's number of atheists who believe this is the case, but it just shows that creationist type mentality exist among supposed rationalist just the same as the folks they deride.

Also, for the gospels and the NT, did any one of the authors ever meet Jesus or even live at the same time as him?

No, no they didn't. The earliest gospels were written no earlier than 70 CE. Jesus born around ~0 and died in his 30's. So 30-40 years separates Jesus from the earliest of the NT writings about him. Facepalm But you don't want them excluded from serious consideration as evidence he existed. Laugh out load

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
01-10-2015, 12:09 PM
(01-10-2015 12:07 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(01-10-2015 11:53 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  Bible (including NT) = claim, not evidence.

I mean, for fuck's sake, this is basic stuff here Facepalm

Well clearly you don't have a clue as to what you're taking about.

The Gospels, the NT writings, the writing's of Paul encounters with the disciples, and Jesus brother, are all evidence for historical Jesus, whether you like it or not.

But let me guess if it's writing by non-christian sources at the time then it's evidence, if it's christian sources than it's not?

The gospels are like a bad game of "telephone"

"Well, I know a guy who knew him. Check it out, he died and came back and other dead people totally did too at the same time and walked through Jerusalem but no one ever wrote about that. Weird, huh?"

-Rick
01-10-2015, 12:11 PM
(01-10-2015 12:08 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  But you don't want them excluded from serious consideration as evidence he existed. Laugh out load

Serious consideration by who historians? Or ignorant types such as yourself who don't have a clue regarding the subject?

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
01-10-2015, 12:11 PM
Molly Pitcher was totally a real woman who fought in the Revolutionary War. I mean, people wrote about her decades later and no one wrote about her at the time. But people swear she was real, so she must be...right? /sarcasmfont

-Rick
01-10-2015, 12:13 PM
(01-10-2015 12:11 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(01-10-2015 12:08 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  But you don't want them excluded from serious consideration as evidence he existed. Laugh out load

Serious consideration by who historians? Or ignorant types such as yourself who don't have a clue regarding the subject?

Laugh out load Keep grasping at those straws in the hopes your messiah is real.

Thor was real too.

-Rick
01-10-2015, 12:14 PM
Did a guy named "Yeshua" exist around that time? I bet A LOT of traveling preachers named "Yeshua" lived at that time. Doesn't mean ANY of them validate ANY of the biblical claims or provide even an iota of evidence as to the validity of any given cult or god concept.

Keep trying Drinking Beverage

-Rick
01-10-2015, 12:33 PM
(01-10-2015 12:13 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  
(01-10-2015 12:11 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  Serious consideration by who historians? Or ignorant types such as yourself who don't have a clue regarding the subject?

Laugh out load Keep grasping at those straws in the hopes your messiah is real.

Thor was real too.

Well, judging that historians and scholars are pretty much all settled on the question of Jesus existing, I don't know why I'd have to grasp at straws. And unlike you I've read a great deal on the subject both secular and religious, and took courses at my secular university on the topic, and it's quite clear you have no clue whatsoever on the subject.

So why am I grasping at straws again?

But perhaps you and your buddies can start a kickstarter campaign, for a documentary, on how historians are afraid to teach the controversy or some shit. It would be like an atheists Expelled. That should be a hoot.

01-10-2015, 12:36 PM
(01-10-2015 12:33 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(01-10-2015 12:13 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  Laugh out load Keep grasping at those straws in the hopes your messiah is real.

Thor was real too.

Well, judging that historians and scholars are pretty much all settled on the question of Jesus existing, I don't know why I'd have to grasp at straws. And unlike you I've read a great deal on the subject both secular and religious, and took courses at my secular university on the topic, and it's quite clear you have no clue whatsoever on the subject.

So why am I grasping at straws again?

But perhaps you and your buddies can start a kickstarter campaign, for a documentary, on how historians are afraid to teach the controversy or some shit. It would be like an atheists Expelled. That should be a hoot.

Laugh out load

Wait, I think you're serious that a guy named Yeshua existing between 0-35 CE somehow corroborates the bible as being plausible. In that case Laugh out load Laugh out load Laugh out load Laugh out load Laugh out load Laugh out load Laugh out load Laugh out load Laugh out load

Ready to pitch that lie again that you're here just to learn and not to preach your christian bullshit?

-Rick
01-10-2015, 12:42 PM
Consider I wonder how many historians a century ago would have been likely to agree that Columbus set sail to prove to Queen Isabella the world was round? Consider And I wonder if that means anything about the validity of that story? Hmmm, I fucking wonder Consider

-Rick