Argument from Ignorance vs. Argument from Silence

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-10-2015, 08:40 AM
Theists hate having the burden of proof to demonstrate their claims. Yeshua's (as a real basis for the NT fictions of Jesus) burden of proof has not been met, unless you accept circumstantial evidence in the form of secondhand accounts written decades after he supposedly lived as evidence.

In that case, may you never serve on a jury in a court of law or depend on one who accepts such things as "evidence" if you stand trial.

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
02-10-2015, 08:41 AM
(02-10-2015 08:40 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(02-10-2015 08:35 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  Preach somewhere you dishonest fuckwit.

Get over it you son of bitch, as much as you desire otherwise, you're stuck with me, just as much as I'm stuck with you here.

Another angry dishonest theist preaching his bullshit and lying about his intentions.

I just want you to accept and own up to the dishonest fuck you are.

-Rick
02-10-2015, 08:42 AM
RE: Argument from Ignorance vs. Argument from Silence
(02-10-2015 08:37 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  
(02-10-2015 08:36 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  You don't even seem to know what your point here is.

Rowling didn't use an actual guy named Harry Potter who lived in nearby, using elements of his life and history, and teaching, as the basis and template of her Harry Potter character. So we'd be correct to say that Harry Potter was an entirely fictional character, not based on any historical person with that name.

If you want to claim the same in regards to Jesus, than you'd have a shit load of explaining to do, but this doesn't seem like the position you actually want to take. Let me guess your position, is a lack of belief one way or other?

The stories written about Christopher Columbus must be true then since a guy by that name they are based on was real? He really convinced Queen Isabella to let him prove the earth was round by sailing west to India and was the first westerner to discover the Americas?

Is anyone doubting that Christopher Columbus was a historical person?

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
02-10-2015, 08:44 AM
(02-10-2015 08:40 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  Theists hate having the burden of proof to demonstrate their claims. Yeshua's (as a real basis for the NT fictions of Jesus) burden of proof has not been met, unless you accept circumstantial evidence in the form of secondhand accounts written decades after he supposedly lived as evidence.

In that case, may you never serve on a jury in a court of law or depend on one who accepts such things as "evidence" if you stand trial.

So your position is a lack of belief one way or the other?

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
02-10-2015, 08:44 AM
(02-10-2015 08:42 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(02-10-2015 08:37 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  The stories written about Christopher Columbus must be true then since a guy by that name they are based on was real? He really convinced Queen Isabella to let him prove the earth was round by sailing west to India and was the first westerner to discover the Americas?

How about Molly Pitcher and the stories about her?

(Hint: someone making up stories about you or claiming to have known you, doesn't make you real)

-Rick
02-10-2015, 08:45 AM
(02-10-2015 08:44 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(02-10-2015 08:40 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  Theists hate having the burden of proof to demonstrate their claims. Yeshua's (as a real basis for the NT fictions of Jesus) burden of proof has not been met, unless you accept circumstantial evidence in the form of secondhand accounts written decades after he supposedly lived as evidence.

So your position is a lack of belief one way or the other?

I've already explicitly told you my belief multiple times. Your reading comprehension is fucking awful.

-Rick
02-10-2015, 08:49 AM
(02-10-2015 08:44 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  
(02-10-2015 08:42 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  Is anyone doubting that Christopher Columbus was a historical person?

How about Molly Pitcher and the stories about her?

(Hint: someone making up stories about you or claiming to have known you, doesn't make you real)

Yea, I know, folks who have siblings tend to be, non-existent.

02-10-2015, 08:52 AM
(02-10-2015 08:42 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(02-10-2015 08:37 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  The stories written about Christopher Columbus must be true then since a guy by that name they are based on was real? He really convinced Queen Isabella to let him prove the earth was round by sailing west to India and was the first westerner to discover the Americas?

And you continue to ignore my point. People attribution bullshit to a name decades after that person supposedly lived, does NOT validate those claims. And false stories about a person, make them more fiction than fact.

Christopher Columbus as described by Washington Irving, is a fiction. It is IRRELEVANT if a man with that name (and maybe some of those partial truths) actually lived or not.

Your Jesus is (at best) the same thing. A man named "Yeshua" living between 0-30 CE is probably inevitable. That does NOT mean that any story or claim made about him DECADES LATER hold ANY FUCKING WATER.

But keep holding on to that myth, twit.

-Rick
[+] 1 user Likes TheBeardedDude's post
02-10-2015, 08:53 AM
(02-10-2015 08:49 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(02-10-2015 08:44 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  How about Molly Pitcher and the stories about her?

Yea, I know, folks who have siblings tend to be, non-existent.

I know theists who respond to posts without actually replying to the substance of the post.

You do this all the time. When confronted with contradictions in your beliefs, you double-down on bullshit or shift the goal posts or just flat out ignore them.

Dishonest twit. Drinking Beverage

-Rick
02-10-2015, 08:55 AM
(02-10-2015 08:45 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  I've already explicitly told you my belief multiple times. Your reading comprehension is fucking awful.

No, you're just a muddled thinker. Since you claim that I have the burden of proof, that would imply that you have no position of your own, that you neither support the mythicist or a secular historicist position like that of Ehrman. That the burden of proof falls on both on these parties to convince you one way or the other?

Isn't that an accurate summary of your position?