Argument from personal revelation

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-09-2017, 07:20 AM
RE: Argument from personal revelation
(31-08-2017 10:32 AM)Angra Mainyu Wrote:  
(31-08-2017 10:27 AM)WhiskeyDebates Wrote:  There is evidence that the dog actually exists which is a might bit further than you can get.

A dog is just a belief. Everything is just a belief. Beliefs create reality.

Are you 100% sure?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
01-09-2017, 07:56 AM
(31-08-2017 10:32 AM)Angra Mainyu Wrote:  A dog is just a belief. Everything is just a belief. Beliefs create reality.

This is what happens when a Philosophy 101 student stops going to class halfway through the semester.
[+] 3 users Like RobbyPants's post
01-09-2017, 08:07 AM
(01-09-2017 07:56 AM)RobbyPants Wrote:  
(31-08-2017 10:32 AM)Angra Mainyu Wrote:  A dog is just a belief. Everything is just a belief. Beliefs create reality.

This is what happens when a Philosophy 101 student stops going to class halfway through the semester.
Its this sort of shit that really gets my goat.

At first it's all, "I'm right you're wrong" shit, and then your provide the evidence and the explanations they say don't exist. Then it becomes "well I just know etc", to which it normally boils down to us saying "Look, show me the evidence and I'll convert right now".

Then because they don't have any, it just becomes metaphysical shite like "but what is life/how to define what is real/If there is no god then there is a god because one must exist because.....etc", it's just mind numbing. Plus we've already passed the "Shut up you [explective]" stage which comes just before it.

When life gives you lemons, just remember you are an....
(18-09-2017 09:47 AM)vahaaao Wrote:  Irresponsible bachelor daddy
[+] 1 user Likes OakTree500's post
01-09-2017, 08:11 AM
Yeah they think this "revelation" malarkey is unassailable. It's simply a personal belief - they interpreted something utterly arbitrary as a "sign" of some sort then just made shit up. It's like when my 6-year-old dreams up anything from grizzly bears to ninjas as reasons not to go to bed; it's fucking make-believe. In no other field of human endeavor is "revelation" an acceptable step to confirming a hypothesis.
[+] 1 user Likes Mr. Boston's post
03-09-2017, 12:51 PM

I believe I am a millionaire. Therefore I am a millionaire. Belief creates reality. But my bank does nor think I am a millionaire. What is my bank not understanding about reality?

When I shake my ignore file, I can hear them buzzing!

Cheerful Charlie
[+] 1 user Likes Cheerful Charlie's post
03-09-2017, 12:54 PM
(01-09-2017 07:56 AM)RobbyPants Wrote:  

I think you give him too much credit. The only desk he's ever sat at was one in his mama's kitchen.

“Tiger got to hunt, bird got to fly;
Man got to sit and wonder 'why, why, why?'
Tiger got to sleep, bird got to land;
Man got to tell himself he understand.”

― Kurt Vonnegut, Cat's Cradle
[+] 1 user Likes whateverist's post
03-09-2017, 01:11 PM
(03-09-2017 12:54 PM)whateverist Wrote:  
(01-09-2017 07:56 AM)RobbyPants Wrote:  This is what happens when a Philosophy 101 student stops going to class halfway through the semester.

I think you give him too much credit. The only desk he's ever sat at was one in his mama's kitchen.

Yeah, I'm catching pretentious troll vibes rather than pretentious philosophy student. Of course pretentious fuckwit covers them both Drinking Beverage

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
03-09-2017, 01:14 PM
At best the argument from personal revelation can only be convincing to the person who supposedly had the revelation, not to someone who has not had a "revelation". It's not very useful at all.

[+] 2 users Like GenesisNemesis's post
03-09-2017, 04:04 PM
If you want to know if my dog is real or not, then come over and try to hit me or my wife; my dog will rip your throat out.
03-09-2017, 05:46 PM
(03-09-2017 04:04 PM)ResidentEvilFan Wrote:  If you want to know if my dog is real or not, then come over and try to hit me or my wife; my dog will rip your throat out.

But what if the assailant believes he won't be injured? I mean, believe really, really hard. And visualizes his safety. Or if he has a vision board. Oh, oh, oh, and it manifests for him??

I mean, that's reality, right? That's how it works, right?