Argument from personal revelation

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-08-2017, 10:54 PM
RE: Argument from personal revelation
(24-08-2017 08:48 PM)nosferatu323 Wrote:  
Quote:Maybe you are just making shit up for me. What should i do?
I think it's reasonable to pass over the claim in silence. I think any attempt to make judgments about it is nonsensical, since it's not clear what the claim is.

Well, you are either too stupid or too trollish to continue. I just marked your last quote for everybody to let it sink in. Facepalm

Ceterum censeo, religionem delendam esse
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Deesse23's post
24-08-2017, 11:00 PM
(24-08-2017 08:48 PM)nosferatu323 Wrote:  
Quote:Maybe you are just making shit up for me. What should i do?
I think it's reasonable to pass over the claim in silence. I think any attempt to make judgments about it is nonsensical, since it's not clear what the claim is.

Don't be ridiculous. If it's a nonsense claim that's used as justification for e.g. interfering with women's rights, then it's perfectly valid to call it out as a nonsense claim. If the tax man said to you he had to charge you extra because Cthulu told him to, you're telling me you'd pass over that "unclear" claim in silence?

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
25-08-2017, 02:23 AM
(24-08-2017 11:00 PM)morondog Wrote:  If the tax man said to you he had to charge you extra because Cthulu told him to, you're telling me you'd pass over that "unclear" claim in silence?

If the referent of Cthulu is known, the claim is clear and it can be judged. Otherwise I would ask "who is Cthulu?", If the tax man fails to clearly address my question, I would not give him the extra money and I'd pass over his claim in silence, just telling him he needs to clarify who Cthulu is before I can consider paying the extra.
25-08-2017, 03:13 AM
(25-08-2017 02:23 AM)nosferatu323 Wrote:  
(24-08-2017 11:00 PM)morondog Wrote:  If the tax man said to you he had to charge you extra because Cthulu told him to, you're telling me you'd pass over that "unclear" claim in silence?

If the referent of Cthulu is known, the claim is clear and it can be judged. Otherwise I would ask "who is Cthulu?", If the tax man fails to clearly address my question, I would not give him the extra money and I'd pass over his claim in silence, just telling him he needs to clarify who Cthulu is before I can consider paying the extra.

Well, bully for you. I wouldn't. Sod keeping quiet. If these bastards want to push their religion into the public sphere that absolutely means they are not immune from criticism.

(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
25-08-2017, 03:24 AM
(25-08-2017 02:23 AM)nosferatu323 Wrote:  

Surely part of it is: If Cthulu does exist, why does that mean you should pay more?

I exist, should you pay me taxes? Just because an almighty being *might* exist, doesn't mean you have to praise them. and even if you did, why would that mean you have to given them money, which is a man made construct.

The Helpful Atheist - An Information Blog
Last updated: 08/11/2017 - Want to contribute, drop me a PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes OakTree500's post
25-08-2017, 04:23 AM
(25-08-2017 03:24 AM)OakTree500 Wrote:  Surely part of it is: If Cthulu does exist, why does that mean you should pay more?

I exist, should you pay me taxes? Just because an almighty being *might* exist, doesn't mean you have to praise them. and even if you did, why would that mean you have to given them money, which is a man made construct.

I think as long as the basic question of "Who is Cthulu?" is not answered, any other questions like why one should obey him is irrelevant. The first question must be answered before other questions are raised, maybe by knowing who Cthulu is, his authority will be automatically justified. So I think "Who is Cthulu?" is the essential question before anything else can be said or asked about him.
25-08-2017, 04:36 AM
(25-08-2017 04:23 AM)nosferatu323 Wrote:  
(25-08-2017 03:24 AM)OakTree500 Wrote:  Surely part of it is: If Cthulu does exist, why does that mean you should pay more?

I think as long as the basic question of "Who is Cthulu?" is not answered, any other questions like why one should obey him is irrelevant. The first question must be answered before other questions are raised, maybe by knowing who Cthulu is, his authority will be automatically justified. So I think "Who is Cthulu?" is the essential question before anything else can be said or asked about him.

Ok, so say the answer to who is Cthulu is: "he is the almighty, the creator of all" , does that still mean I HAVE to shill out my pockets and give him more money? I don't think it does.

Would Cthulu have my gratitude for creating the universe, and thus the particles that contributed to my existence, yep sure. But Does that entitle Cthulu to have the money I need to earn to progress in a human bound society? Nope, not by a long shot.

25-08-2017, 04:56 AM
(25-08-2017 04:36 AM)OakTree500 Wrote:  Ok, so say the answer to who is Cthulu is: "he is the almighty, the creator of all" , does that still mean I HAVE to shill out my pockets and give him more money? I don't think it does.

Would Cthulu have my gratitude for creating the universe, and thus the particles that contributed to my existence, yep sure. But Does that entitle Cthulu to have the money I need to earn to progress in a human bound society? Nope, not by a long shot.

I think "he is the almighty, the creator of all" is not an answer. What does almighty even mean? How Cthulu is imposing his power on everything that seem to be governed by natural laws? What does it mean he is the creator of all? Is he not among the "all"? If "all" require a creator, why Cthulu does not need a creator?

This answer seems to be incoherent and self-contradictory. One should come up with a proper answer before he can move to the question of why one should obey Cthulu, I think.
25-08-2017, 05:04 AM
(25-08-2017 04:56 AM)nosferatu323 Wrote:  One should come up with a proper answer before he can move to the question of why one should obey Cthulu, I think.

Kind of my point here is "Why should you 'Obey' anything, that is perceived to be a god or god(s)" . Just because they might create something/you in particular does that mean I HAVE to obey? or in this example, give something which only humans hold value to (Money) to somebody else, because their god told them so? Sounds little bit crazy to me.

When you starting getting into the area of: what does X mean? What does Y mean?, I think you can do that about every word/meaning of something forever and a day, so it's a bit of a waste of my time, If I'm being honest.

[+] 1 user Likes OakTree500's post
25-08-2017, 05:08 AM
Well look at you nosferatu, getting all skeptical. You're not exactly keeping silent since Cthulu was used to justify taking your money, are you? So can we agree that it was a fucking dumb idea to suggest keeping quiet in the first place?

[+] 2 users Like morondog's post