Argument from personal revelation

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-08-2017, 05:25 AM
RE: Argument from personal revelation
(28-08-2017 05:19 AM)Angra Mainyu Wrote:  
(28-08-2017 04:56 AM)unfogged Wrote:  Many atheists are former believers who did their best to sincerely "reach out" to connect with the god that they were certain was there. Your statement is simply ignorant. Atheists, as a rule, don't believe because there is no rational reason to believe, not because of what they do or do not want to believe.

You clearly weren't trying to find God then.

I see reading comprehension is not part of your skills list.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like unfogged's post
28-08-2017, 05:25 AM
(28-08-2017 04:56 AM)unfogged Wrote:  Many atheists are former believers who did their best to sincerely "reach out" to connect with the god that they were certain was there. Your statement is simply ignorant. Atheists, as a rule, don't believe because there is no rational reason to believe, not because of what they do or do not want to believe.

Why should anyone try to find God? What's so great about him? And since we've already rejected that shit why do you rude pricks come here to preach?

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 4 users Like morondog's post
28-08-2017, 06:03 AM
(28-08-2017 05:25 AM)morondog Wrote:  
(28-08-2017 05:19 AM)Angra Mainyu Wrote:  You clearly weren't trying to find God then.

Why should anyone try to find God? What's so great about him? And since we've already rejected that shit why do you rude pricks come here to preach?

Indeed.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 1 user Likes Banjo's post
28-08-2017, 11:46 AM

I personally spent over two decades of my adult life trying to find God through a close study of mysticism before I gave up. Really I was just trying to rationalize some God concept. But after I read about atheistic perspectives, I immediately understood what I had done wrong: I had accepted the burden of proof.

What a waste of time.
28-08-2017, 11:48 AM (This post was last modified: 28-08-2017 12:05 PM by Thoreauvian.)
(28-08-2017 12:13 AM)Propwash Wrote:  As the good book says- "Reach out to God and he'll reach out to you".
Atheists don't want to log onto him so they're not going to get a "power download"..Smile

You are just rationalizing.
28-08-2017, 12:34 PM
(28-08-2017 11:46 AM)Thoreauvian Wrote:  I personally spent over two decades of my adult life trying to find God...

Haven't you found it? If my question makes any sense to you.
28-08-2017, 01:20 PM
(28-08-2017 12:13 AM)Propwash Wrote:  
(21-08-2017 07:13 PM)Cosmo Wrote:  I just wanted to touch on this quickly, simply because this seems to be the last hill that theists will die on, as they claim their religion is true.
"God told me," they say. "God revealed himself to me."
No... no he didn't. Understand what you're implying if you say that God talked to you and not me. Why would he do that? Does he care more about your salvation than mine?

As the good book says- "Reach out to God and he'll reach out to you".
Atheists don't want to log onto him so they're not going to get a "power download"..Smile

Really? What is the book, chapter a verse of that quote?
[+] 1 user Likes kemo boy's post
28-08-2017, 01:23 PM

You're clearly an asshole.
[+] 1 user Likes kemo boy's post
28-08-2017, 01:27 PM
(28-08-2017 01:20 PM)kemo boy Wrote:  
(28-08-2017 12:13 AM)Propwash Wrote:  As the good book says- "Reach out to God and he'll reach out to you".

Really? What is the book, chapter a verse of that quote?

Oh, I can give you a passage.

And when ye shall receive these things, I would exhort you that ye would ask God, the Eternal Father, in the name of Christ, if these things are not true; and if ye shall ask with a sincere heart, with real intent, having faith in Christ, he will manifest the truth of it unto you, by the power of the Holy Ghost. And by the power of the Holy Ghost ye may know the truth of all things.

I guess the Mormons had it right all along, then. Wink

More Min Gee Ziss
[Image: giphy.gif]
28-08-2017, 01:41 PM (This post was last modified: 28-08-2017 01:45 PM by Thoreauvian.)
(28-08-2017 12:34 PM)nosferatu323 Wrote:  
(28-08-2017 11:46 AM)Thoreauvian Wrote:  I personally spent over two decades of my adult life trying to find God...

Haven't you found it? If my question makes any sense to you.

Here's the problem I ran into. I certainly learned to interpret everything as if God existed, but I had no actual proof he did. In mysticism, you are supposed to get beyond mere beliefs and opinions, but I didn't. And once I had worked through various definitions for God and found they all had internal contradictions and were at odds with real-world facts, I found there was nothing left which made sense. That's when I finally gave atheistic ideas a chance. (To be fair, I should have done that years before.)
[+] 1 user Likes Thoreauvian's post