Argument from prophecy/prayer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-08-2017, 08:15 AM
RE: Argument from prophecy/prayer.
(24-08-2017 05:24 AM)Brian37 Wrote:  
(24-08-2017 05:14 AM)TheInquisition Wrote:  Yeah, it's an unfalsifiable construct. I'm tempted to say that the ancient Hebrews invented this type of post-hoc rationalization, but I'm sure the Sumerians, Egyptians and pre-historic tribes did this, but they sure do have patent rights to this fallacy! Big Grin

When the Hebrews got their asses handed to them during the Babylonian exile, they had to come up with an excuse for why their supposedly all-powerful god let their nation be destroyed. So they came up with the post-hoc explanation that their god was punishing them for not obeying him and he used the Babylonians as a tool to do his bidding. Facepalm

The first post-hoc religious mythology was born, and they have been post-hoc'ing ever since.

It's also turned out to be a rather lucrative fallacy to indulge in, you can use post-hoc analysis to make your bible fit science (creationism), you can use your post-hoc analysis to prove that your god answers prayer (prosperity gospel sects) and you can use post-hoc analysis to show that world events are all fulfillment of prophecy (apocalypticism, etc).

All it takes for "prophets" to profit is:

1. Have a post-hoc explanation for events based on your interpretation of the bible.

2. Have a gullible audience that believes your post-hoc interpretations.

3. $$$

It doesn't matter if you are wrong about your prophetic predictions as long as your gullible followers refuse to see past their fallacious thinking process, it's a perpetual slot machine that keeps awarding payouts to an entire cottage industry of this predatory con-artistry.

P.T. Barnum, "There's a sucker born every minute."

There's a seeker born every minute.
Firesign Theater - Everything You Know Is Wrong

When I shake my ignore file, I can hear them buzzing!

Cheerful Charlie
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Cheerful Charlie's post
24-08-2017, 08:46 AM
The great thing about being a Christian is you can delude yourself into believing every goddamn thing that happens is some kind of work of their god.
[+] 1 user Likes ResidentEvilFan's post
24-08-2017, 01:51 PM
(24-08-2017 08:46 AM)ResidentEvilFan Wrote:  The great thing about being a Christian is you can delude yourself into believing every goddamn thing that happens is some kind of work of their god.
In my experience it works after a fashion for those who are sufficiently fortunate, who can rationalize the occasional mishap by "looking on the bright side". It quickly unravels, though, when you have enough misfortune. At first everyone circles the wagons, gathers 'round, offer prayers of faith, etc. Then there is discomfort, then annoyance, when it doesn't work. Then the suggestions begin -- that it's some lack of faith, some secret sin, even the whispered suggestion that "real Christians don't have these kinds of heartaches", so maybe you don't belong in the club in the first place.

Then there is the private angst, the soul-searching, the redoubling of efforts to be sufficiently pious and deserving, to pray more, to study the Bible more.

If you're ill, you notice that you're no longer interesting, or at least not a priority, for your old fast friends, now that you're no longer as "active", now that the very sight of you is a "downer" to their "faith".

Then comes the fork in the road -- either you go all-in for another round, or you reject a heapin' helpin' of More Faith and just realize that you've been bamboozled.
[+] 2 users Like mordant's post