Argument with my Philosophy Teacher

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-02-2012, 11:59 PM
RE: Argument with my Philosophy Teacher
(02-02-2012 12:17 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(01-02-2012 11:50 PM)Starcrash Wrote:  I took a Philosophy of Religion class that detailed all the arguments for and against, and the rebuttals to each argument. The teacher determined that it is a "scottish verdict" --- that there can be no ruling one way or the other. That's how any unbiased, rational person thinks (like KingsChosen - his comment was entirely right).

What ?
"That's how any unbiased rational person thinks" ?
I wasn't aware *THEY* thought any "way".
The function of a teacher is to "determine" things ?
What a shocking statement !
Please define "rational", and "unbiased" ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQhd05ZVYWg

rational - agreeable to reason/reasonable (synonymous with objective)

unbiased - without prejudice/impartial (synonymous with fair)

Entering an argument with a predetermination that nothing can change your mind would make you irrational (by definition). If you posit your own evidence but won't hear your opponent's evidence, then you are biased.

As teaching imparts knowledge and determination uses reasoning and observation, I don't think I was out of line to say that teachers can and do "determine" things. Why do you insist on debating semantics?

My girlfriend is mad at me. Perhaps I shouldn't have tried cooking a stick in her non-stick pan.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-02-2012, 09:59 PM
(06-02-2012 11:59 PM)Starcrash Wrote:  
(02-02-2012 12:17 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(01-02-2012 11:50 PM)Starcrash Wrote:  I took a Philosophy of Religion class that detailed all the arguments for and against, and the rebuttals to each argument. The teacher determined that it is a "scottish verdict" --- that there can be no ruling one way or the other. That's how any unbiased, rational person thinks (like KingsChosen - his comment was entirely right).

What ?
"That's how any unbiased rational person thinks" ?
I wasn't aware *THEY* thought any "way".
The function of a teacher is to "determine" things ?
What a shocking statement !
Please define "rational", and "unbiased" ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQhd05ZVYWg

rational - agreeable to reason/reasonable (synonymous with objective)

unbiased - without prejudice/impartial (synonymous with fair)

Entering an argument with a predetermination that nothing can change your mind would make you irrational (by definition). If you posit your own evidence but won't hear your opponent's evidence, then you are biased.

As teaching imparts knowledge and determination uses reasoning and observation, I don't think I was out of line to say that teachers can and do "determine" things. Why do you insist on debating semantics?

Teachers can "suggest" things, (unless you're in the Catholic seminary).
It's not "semantics", it's "lingustics"..... VERY important, (or are you communicating by ESP ?) Tongue

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein Certified Ancient Astronaut Theorist
Isaiah 45:7 "I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things" (KJV)

Find all posts by this user
08-02-2012, 10:51 PM
I took an ethics class from a guy who I soon identified as a theist.
He drove the obvious "Objective moral values" line of argument.

I kept screwing with him until I had him screaming at me.
I totally destroyed the class for him and them dropped on the last drop day for a "W" so that he could not hit me with an F.

Then I wrote a letter to the dean of students and followed up with the philosophy department chair. A long time ago, but still a fond memory.

Do your research on the professors ahead of time. I had to find atheists to get through the program, which are not that hard to find in philosophy departments. I got through pholosophy of religion by taking "contemporary atheism" for example.

The old gods are dead, let's invent some new ones before something really bad happens.
[+] 1 user Likes Thomas's post
11-06-2013, 08:45 PM
First, your teacher is a bully. Intelectually, he must feel very insecure to ask for negative proof, to insist that there is proof. By quoting works which a student hasn't read, to silence.you to avoid scaring other students and being a prick in general.
Many students would.bluff their way through so I admire you for ending the conversation at that moment and trying to prepare yorself.for.the next showdown.

My teachers in the 80s hit us for had behaviour. Professors like yours are the University equivalent. I would.drop the class, not.becuase you are forced to defend yourself, but because the argument.won't go anywhere. This.Prof. doesn't even play by the most.elementary rules.of.debate...and on the first day off classes as that.

Nice.to see you have intelectual integrity and have no problem asking people for help, ideas or.guidance.
12-06-2013, 05:34 PM
(27-01-2012 11:55 AM)Quik2832 Wrote:  Alright, so I need a bit of help and I'm not quite sure where to ask this so I thought I'd try here. My first philosophy class of the semester was yesterday and I had a little argument with my teacher. It started when he asked the class to tell him whether they are theist, agnostic, or atheist. Since this is a fairly religious school about 85% of the kids answered they were theist, the rest said they were agnostic, and I was the only one that said I was an atheist. Then the conversation went something like this:

Teacher: "Alright Daniel, can you provide one proof that God doesn't exist."

Me: "I'm not really a fan of that question. That's like me asking you to provide proof that unicorns or leprechauns don't exist. The proof is that there is no proof."

Teacher: "Stop speaking for yourself. There are actually several concrete proofs that God exists."

Me: "If there were several proofs, then we wouldn't be having this discussion"

Teacher: *Anger starts rising in his voice* "There are concrete proofs. Stop 'scaring your classmates' with false claims. Thomas Aquinas provides 5 solid proofs of God's existence and we will start off our next class with a discussion about his work."

I could not continue the debate further since I have never read any of Aquinas proofs. So I come to you guys to give me some info that disproves Aquinas's proofs. I have read his work today and it just seems like he has a very limited knowledge of the universe and is just filling in the gaps with God. Is there anything else I'm missing. Any other information I could use to disprove Aquinas's "proofs"

Thanks in advance! Finally, is there any other arguments that my professor can use to prove God's existence besides Thomas Aquinas's five proofs? I would just like to be ready for anything.

When anyone ever asks me to give a proof against the existence of a god I always come back with something like this:

Well, being an agnostic atheist I don't assert that no gods exist, merely say that theists haven't met their burden of proof. However, I actively believe that all gods which could possibly be disproven with our level of knowledge are; and, therefore, do not exist. So if you would please provide a definition of your God, I can tell you which category it falls into - whether it is infallible or unbelievable.
22-06-2013, 11:08 AM
What ever became of this?
22-06-2013, 11:39 AM
The kid is on his way to establishing his thesis for a PHD.
The asshole teacher is still teaching what he's been told, all the while contemplating the burgeoning hemorrhoids of regret in his life.

The above is only speculation. Necroposting can be a slippery slope. Drinking Beverage

I think in the end, I just feel like I'm a secular person who has a skeptical eye toward any extraordinary claim, carefully examining any extraordinary evidence before jumping to conclusions. ~ Eric ~ My friend ... who figured it out.
22-06-2013, 11:57 AM
There is a great iTunes U lecture on the topic (from standford I believe) and the lecturer spends a good 45 mins describing Aquinas's 'proof' before concluding with a short bit about how it was all thoroughly discredited by Kant IIRC.

22-06-2013, 11:58 AM
Silly, though, reading this at first and not seeing the date when it was started, I wondered the same thing, myself.

Your speculation was quite entertaining to read, Kim. Big Grin

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]
22-06-2013, 12:36 PM
Motherfucking necroposting motherfuckers. Dodgy

[Image: 10289811_592837817482059_8815379025397103823_n.jpg]