Arguments against beliefs that might be better avoided

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-10-2014, 11:08 AM
RE: Arguments against beliefs that might be better avoided
(16-10-2014 10:59 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  
(16-10-2014 09:50 AM)unfogged Wrote:  Not sure I know why.... do you disagree that the original text isn't making the claim that bats are birds?

Third on the list of the thread I just started ...

http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...#pid666327

Although this does show that your thread is useful so we don't fall into these traps again. On the other hand, the fact that the current translation talks about bats as birds shows that when reading the Bible you need to accept that it has been translated multiple times. Some Christians really do take each word as gospel truth.

OR you have to realize that some parts of the bible are way over 2000 years old and at the time it was written the understand of the natural world was not what we have now.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
16-10-2014, 11:09 AM
(16-10-2014 09:50 AM)Chas Wrote:  Most arguments that include the word "prove" or "proof" are on shaky ground.

Unless, of course, it's the denial.

I thought besides assertions and curses they were all nothing but denial

also do we have a list of do-not-go-to site/youtube channels etc ?
16-10-2014, 11:32 AM
(16-10-2014 11:09 AM)Ace Wrote:  
(16-10-2014 09:50 AM)Chas Wrote:  Most arguments that include the word "prove" or "proof" are on shaky ground.

Unless, of course, it's the denial.

I thought besides assertions and curses they were all nothing but denial

Big Grin
I was wondering if my wording was good. Apparently not.

I meant that claiming or demanding proof is a losing proposition on many levels,
and that it might be good to deny provability up front. It's all about evidence.

Quote:also do we have a list of do-not-go-to site/youtube channels etc ?

That's an excellent suggestion. Thumbsup

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
16-10-2014, 12:00 PM
(16-10-2014 11:08 AM)wazzel Wrote:  OR you have to realize that some parts of the bible are way over 2000 years old and at the time it was written the understand of the natural world was not what we have now.

Well yes, that much is obvious to people who aren't Christians. But we're not the ones claiming it is the word of God.
16-10-2014, 12:18 PM
(16-10-2014 12:00 PM)Mathilda Wrote:  
(16-10-2014 11:08 AM)wazzel Wrote:  OR you have to realize that some parts of the bible are way over 2000 years old and at the time it was written the understand of the natural world was not what we have now.

Well yes, that much is obvious to people who aren't Christians. But we're not the ones claiming it is the word of God.

I like to use it as an example of how our understanding of things have evolved. The whole bird and bat thing is a good one, if you know how to use it, as are a whole lot of other ones.