Arguments against religion, not to defend atheism?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-10-2016, 08:52 AM
Arguments against religion, not to defend atheism?
What I mean by the topic name is that, I noticed during a lot of religion debates that all I do is defend my atheist beliefs against anything a religious person a person might say against it...

But now I want to be the one who starts asking the questions to the religious, they try to make me question my beliefs, why shouldn't I do that for them?

Basically what I'm asking is some arguments specifically against Christianism and Islam, like contradictions, ridiculous things, anything to counter a religious person in a debate. As I said, anything works but my personal absolute favorite is the stupid prohibitions, I've heard something like men not allowed to wear yellow in Islam.

Please post anything that comes to mind, I know there's tons of websites with this kind of information, but I feel like it's all copypasta and prefer to discuss with people in a forum.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
02-10-2016, 09:03 AM
RE: Arguments against religion, not to defend atheism?
I am confused b y the title. Atheism is a lack of belief. No belief to defend there. It is all on them to prove what they believe. "show me".
[+] 4 users Like skyking's post
02-10-2016, 09:03 AM
Defending atheism? I think you may be doing things wrong. Have you heard of the burden of proof? The thing is, atheism in itself does not make a claim, so there's no defense that needs to be applied directly to it. It's up to the religious person to back up their beliefs. An atheist only disbelieves because theists have not fulfilled their burden of proof.

Of course, an atheist can take the argument further than that, but then it's not about defending atheism anymore.
[+] 4 users Like Jesster's post
02-10-2016, 09:08 AM
I was referring to comments they make as in for example "...the world can't just be science, look at the things we can't explain yet", I use defend as a word because I think we know if you tell them "give proof" it won't work on them.

Anyways, please focus on what I ask, I'll make it clearer:

What are some funny/stupid/ridiculous statements in the Bible/Quran, any contradictions or things of the sort in Christianity and Islam?
02-10-2016, 09:28 AM
(02-10-2016 09:08 AM)Jokurix Wrote:  I was referring to comments they make as in for example "...the world can't just be science, look at the things we can't explain yet", I use defend as a word because I think we know if you tell them "give proof" it won't work on them.

What are some funny/stupid/ridiculous statements in the Bible/Quran, any contradictions or things of the sort in Christianity and Islam?

The opening ball is kinda in their court, because religion takes a lot of forms, even within the one religion.

For example, there are quite a few Christians out there who will cheerfully admit that the Bible has errors in it. Pointing out contradictions doesn't work against them. It's only a valid attack against those flavors of Christianity that believe in Biblical inerrancy. Getting to the very liberal end of the spectrum, there might be Christians who believe that the Crucifixion and Resurrection are simply metaphors -- powerful metaphors with a deep, true, important message, but not literally factual.

The first step to dismantling beliefs is to know what the beliefs are. That requires them to advance a clear claim before you can begin. Once you know those beliefs, the means of dismantling them will be pretty obvious.
[+] 3 users Like Reltzik's post
02-10-2016, 09:33 AM
(02-10-2016 09:08 AM)Jokurix Wrote:  I was referring to comments they make as in for example "...the world can't just be science, look at the things we can't explain yet", I use defend as a word because I think we know if you tell them "give proof" it won't work on them.

113 years ago man first flew, 66 years later we flew to the moon. It takes some time to find the knowledge.
02-10-2016, 10:01 AM
What's that smell?

#sigh
[+] 6 users Like GirlyMan's post
02-10-2016, 10:08 AM
(02-10-2016 09:08 AM)Jokurix Wrote:  I was referring to comments they make as in for example "...the world can't just be science, look at the things we can't explain yet"

If they admit we can't explain these things then why are they attempting to offer an explanation? What evidence do they have that their god is the explanation?

I don't see it as my job to prove that they are wrong until they first build a case that they may be right.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
02-10-2016, 12:00 PM
(02-10-2016 09:08 AM)Jokurix Wrote:  What are some funny/stupid/ridiculous statements in the Bible/Quran, any contradictions or things of the sort in Christianity and Islam?

There are plenty but you're wandering into the bog of apologetics here. The believers will simply say that those ridiculous statements aren't actually ridiculous, you're just interpretting them wrong. You need to have the Lord Gawd in your heart to understand them correctly, rather than as the batshit insanity that they clearly are if you just use plain English.

But if you really want to go down that path, start by asking about unicorns.

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
02-10-2016, 12:17 PM
(02-10-2016 10:01 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  What's that smell?

I smell a gotcha coming soon.