Arguments against religion, not to defend atheism?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-10-2016, 02:24 PM
RE: Arguments against religion, not to defend atheism?
Unfogged,

Kindly; you sir, miss the point; you are right though.

That point being that yes, of course things related to morality were already there. Everyone has a conscience. Some may refuse to even hear it, but we all have it.
It is a natural occurring thing for the benefit of life as a whole. It is part of us. To me it is of GOD as all creation is. Scriptures of the religious have tried to grasp and explain this since before written history.

And actually; since you wanna talk about cherry picking; it is you who cherry picks. Remember, I make the claim that all the core(base)scriptures of the faithful that I have read so far not only have the same theme but also ultimately all worship the same One Creator GOD. I claim that this is readily observable and can be known to be true if one could only, through retrospect, introspect, and conscious thought, learn to be honest within themselves, finding the conscience, recognizing it and learning/ attempting to abide by it.

You claim that I am nuts and your refutation, the only one of any actual written or physical sort that you posit is that I cherry pick. There in the problem of logic lie; the little bit of error you can point out in the OT, which is actually written against in the same OT and NT, is only a very minor, small percentage of the texts in question.

So that's your proof, but all it shows is your willingness to be blind to my words and harsh in your responses.

Little piece of OT which is spoken against < all base scripture I have read so far, and attempt to encourage others to do if they actually question me as opposed to throwing out what I say just cuz.

Peace

Sent from my Z988 using Tapatalk
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
13-10-2016, 04:18 PM
(13-10-2016 02:24 PM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  That point being that yes, of course things related to morality were already there.

Facepalm
That was neither the point nor what I said.

Quote:To me it is of GOD as all creation is.

Why the fuck should anybody care what you think your god is when you have no credibility?

Quote:And actually; since you wanna talk about cherry picking; it is you who cherry picks. Remember, I make the claim that all the core(base)scriptures of the faithful that I have read so far not only have the same theme but also ultimately all worship the same One Creator GOD.

You have no way to know that they all envisioned the same god; you just assume that because it fits your belief. We've already gone into detail on salvation via works or via faith alone and you just ignored the fact that your "core scripture" is contradictory because you only read what you want to read.

Quote:I claim that this is readily observable and can be known to be true if one could only, through retrospect, introspect, and conscious thought, learn to be honest within themselves, finding the conscience, recognizing it and learning/ attempting to abide by it.

In other words, figuring out what you'd like it to say and then just assuming that's what it says.

Quote:You claim that I am nuts and your refutation, the only one of any actual written or physical sort that you posit is that I cherry pick.

No, I submit the body of posts since you joined as evidence that you are nuts. I submit the bits about "core scripture" being completely consistent as evidence that you cherry-pick.

Quote:There in the problem of logic lie; the little bit of error you can point out in the OT, which is actually written against in the same OT and NT, is only a very minor, small percentage of the texts in question.

It was one example. There are others and when you start comparing xian, jewish, hindu, muslim, buddhist, etc you run into many more. Of course, when you read everything through mile-thick god glasses it all sounds the same.

Quote:So that's your proof, but all it shows is your willingness to be blind to my words and harsh in your responses.

I am not blind to your words; your words were considered and discarded as worthless. If that's harsh then that's tough.

Quote:Little piece of OT which is spoken against < all base scripture I have read so far, and attempt to encourage others to do if they actually question me as opposed to throwing out what I say just cuz.

Nothing is thrown out "just cuz". What you say is thrown out because you make inane claims without justification or evidence.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 1 user Likes unfogged's post
13-10-2016, 05:00 PM
Impulse,

To be clear; I did not initially relate fade out of radio with divine.

What happened after was the point that the mercy and grace of GOD abounded. When it was over I noticed the radio as it was fading back it. At which time regular thought resumed. What I'm saying is that the radio was a passing oddity, then seemingly unrelatedly and wholly different in perception and magnitude and significance, where my burdens lifted.

Peace

13-10-2016, 05:04 PM
(13-10-2016 10:23 AM)Impulse Wrote:  
(13-10-2016 06:24 AM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  Your examples have happened to me multiple times.

Never not once did I attribute it to any divine entity.
Again, that was an example to illustrate a point, which it seems you missed.

In your case, you did attribute radio issues or at least perceived radio issues to a divine entity...

And, while you may not have already believed in God, you were having some serious difficulties in life which left you needing some support (whether or not you realized it) and would have made a "sign from God" more easily accepted and believed - if it if it wasn't really that at all.

Edit:
That last part should say "even if it wasn't really that at all".
I'm retarded

Anyway; on your second point, I was actually doing much better and in a better place mentally prior to what had happened. I had cleaned up and was doing better. Not saying I was AOK but I was definitely doing mo much better than I had been a few months earlier.

Peace

13-10-2016, 05:31 PM
(13-10-2016 10:32 AM)Impulse Wrote:  
(13-10-2016 08:15 AM)unfogged Wrote:  Speaking of prideful, you may want a mirror. You're the one claiming to have been chosen for direct contact and to be special enough to figure all this out. Your while presence here is an exercise in arrogance.
This is a very good point. Here we are on planet Earth which, compared with the vast universe, proportionally isn't even a speck of dust. Then on this microscopic planet, out of billions of people who are yet far smaller than Earth, this "god" picks out one special one for communication, part of which includes manipulating the radio signal as if "god" need to turn it down to be "heard" or "god" wanted to send some sort of proof that couldn't be accomplished another far more unambiguous way. Facepalm
Yeeeahhh..... Look around you a little better.

This tiny insignificant speck is the first we've seen so far with complex physical life. Suddenly not so insignificant.

As far as me personally. I am the least of a great multitude that grows daily.

Have you not noticed that I regard myself as little more than crap? There is a unifying of the understanding of reality going on.

I've stated this before but not to you; the subject matter in itself can make one seem egotistical. But if you think about it, all I'm refuting is the relevance and substance of a subjective experience that happened to me personally. And I am sure of what happens to me. Always have been. As far as me preaching; I try not to and really only try to motivate others to search out the truth for themselves, and I do "preach" that doing that starts with introspection and retrospect and utter honesty with the realities that directly have to do with self. I think I do need to tone it down though, for multiple reasons, so thanks for reminding me.

Peace

13-10-2016, 05:38 PM
(13-10-2016 10:49 AM)TheInquisition Wrote:  Here's a funny story: Hoaxes will always haunt paranormal history

One of the most famous stories in rock history involves Alice Cooper, Frank Zappa, and a chicken. At the Toronto Rock and Roll Revival concert in 1969, a chicken mysteriously appeared on stage during Cooper’s set. Cooper’s story is that he grabbed the bird, threw it toward the crowd thinking it could fly, but then watched in horror as it plummeted into the crowd and was ripped to pieces. The media reported he killed the chicken on stage by biting off its head, and then drinking its blood, before throwing it to the crowd. The headlines led to Alice Cooper getting a call from Frank Zappa, who after hearing Cooper’s side of the story said, “Well, whatever you do, don’t tell anyone you didn’t do it.”

So there were a lot of people at this event and the media didn't even report it correctly, but a lot of people think Alice Cooper bit a chicken's head off.

See how easy it is to not remember things, even when you are sure that it happened?

A misstated occurrence can become an urban legend, even when thousands of people are there to witness it.

What about someone alone, that wants to believe in something? How many details will they get wrong when recounting a tale years later?
How does the account change gradually over time as a person forgets some minor but crucial detail and this process repeats itself to where a given incident bears no resemblance to what actually happened?

This is the normal way we remember things, very faulty and riddled with errors, altered to favor the person recounting the events, inaccurate in almost every detail.

This is the normal process of human recollection.
That is a terrible example and in no way correlates to one's own recounting of strong memories. I'll have you know that I attempt to take great care to not embellish any aspect of my story whatsoever. Some of it is lost perhaps, but it hasn't been added to. All I can give is my word on this issue. Which, by the way, is all I really have.

I've never been a social butterfly, nor even wholly socially adept. I don't tell stories for the reaction. Why would I exaggerate here anyway? For more criticism? Not that I mind it, but it isn't really what I want.

Peace

13-10-2016, 05:44 PM
Hey,

Could a mod perhaps help me to locate a previous recounting of uhm... what happened? Y'all only think I'm dumb; I'm extraignint when it comes to more recent tech. How would I even go about requesting that?

Is there like a mod section or help thread or something?

I would like to know for my own reference and would be fine with it being posted publicly. I am curious now as to how the stories line up. One would have been from nearly when I got here.

The one I quoted in this thread is roughly 4 months old I guess. I could probably find an original time stamp.

Not as good as from 5 years ago, but still.

Anyway; any advice would be helpful.

Thanks,

Peace

13-10-2016, 06:27 PM
(13-10-2016 05:31 PM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  This tiny insignificant speck is the first we've seen so far with complex physical life. Suddenly not so insignificant.

In comparison to the known universe... utterly and completely insignificant except to us.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 3 users Like unfogged's post
14-10-2016, 05:58 AM
(13-10-2016 06:27 PM)unfogged Wrote:  
(13-10-2016 05:31 PM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  This tiny insignificant speck is the first we've seen so far with complex physical life. Suddenly not so insignificant.

In comparison to the known universe... utterly and completely insignificant except to us.
Only a blind man would claim such.... Given the vastness of the observable universe and the seeming lack of observable complex physical life(like us, and life here, on this planet).

Peace

14-10-2016, 06:55 AM
(14-10-2016 05:58 AM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  
(13-10-2016 06:27 PM)unfogged Wrote:  In comparison to the known universe... utterly and completely insignificant except to us.
Only a blind man would claim such.... Given the vastness of the observable universe and the seeming lack of observable complex physical life(like us, and life here, on this planet).

Peace

If the earth suddenly vanished would the rest of the universe give a shit? No.